Carmine in cosmetics! Watch out

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,228Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I had an allergic reaction to eyeshadow and found out it was a CARMINE allergy. Carmine is a red dye made from (UGH) crushed beetle shells. It's very widespread and used in food (!) and many other products. If you are having allergies to makeup, that could be the reason. Benefit, Urban Decay and Origins doesn't have it in any of their makeup but many lines do.

Just a heads up. Hope everyone is well otherwise.
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Is it the same as cochineal? We were given some packet cake mixes and while some of them said they were vegetarian others didn't, we saw cochineal on one packet but not another though it does say carmine. Totally unnecessary.
    3b in South Australia.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,228Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, it's exactly the same. I don't know if I would be allergic if I ate some - I doubt it because I don't seem to have food allergies and it's pretty widespread but it blew up my eyes really badly.

Actually, the eyeshadow also had shimmer, so I'm wondering if maybe it isn't a carmine allergy but an allergy to mica? I'm going to be very cautious and experiment with tiny amounts of matte shadows that have carmine and shiny shadows that don't have carmine.

Anyone else with eye allergies?
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    I'm not prone to allergies but if ever I get eczema it'll be around my eyes. No idea why, I'm very boring and always use the same products.
    3b in South Australia.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,228Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well, it turned out to be a medical issue - not an allergy after all that. Lots of expensive steroid eye drops but I'm happily better. Still not thrilled finding out that crushed insects are in my eyeshadows.
    I'm glad you got it sorted out, not that medical issues are a barrel of laughs.
    Ditto on the crushed insects, it's gross.
    3b in South Australia.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file