New to this 4C

shaberry14shaberry14 Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello.

I am very new to this whole natural process. I decided to go natural after a year of weaves and braids and having no time now with a toddler. I started with Mielle organics then moved on to mane choice. Now I have a mixture of products from what i find on instagram. Has any one tried Etae? I tried it for the flat iron look but has anyone tried it just using it without drying and twisting their hair? My hair is color treated, very dense ( absorbs water slowly) and breaks easily. I noticed that since I have been natural my hair breaks alot less (its whole strands vs. pieces) and its thick like it used to be before I started relaxing my hair 18 years ago. Anyone have product suggestions? Sometimes I just want to give up and go back to relaxing because it was so much easier but then i think about how far I have came with hair improvement and just keep trying.

Comments

• NatrulyMeNatrulyMe Registered Users Posts: 166 Curl Connoisseur
    shaberry14 wrote: »
    Hello.

I am very new to this whole natural process. I decided to go natural after a year of weaves and braids and having no time now with a toddler. I started with Mielle organics then moved on to mane choice. Now I have a mixture of products from what i find on instagram. Has any one tried Etae? I tried it for the flat iron look but has anyone tried it just using it without drying and twisting their hair? My hair is color treated, very dense ( absorbs water slowly) and breaks easily. I noticed that since I have been natural my hair breaks alot less (its whole strands vs. pieces) and its thick like it used to be before I started relaxing my hair 18 years ago. Anyone have product suggestions? Sometimes I just want to give up and go back to relaxing because it was so much easier but then i think about how far I have came with hair improvement and just keep trying.

Greetings, shaberry. Welcome to NC. :) I never tried any of the products you mentioned, but I will like to suggest to try maintain a moisturize and protein treatment (both). Because color treated hair tends to stay dry. I do not know your porosity. I assume that you may be low porosity? In any case, I would try a real protein treatment (not a Do It Yourself Recipe) and keep my hair moisturize daily or every 2-3 days. I think low porosity individuals do a protein treatment once a month (for every 2-6 months). Also, use oils and to help penetrate and seal your hair after moisturizing.

Pattern: 3C/4A 
    Characteristics: (Spongy/Coarse/Curly Kinky)
    Porosity: High
    Density: Medium
    Hair Width: Medium Sized Strands
    Elasticity: Medium Elasticity

SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL

My hair is armpit length when silk pressed (so close to BSL).
    Natural state: awkward stage; shoulder length (front is above chin length and back is almost shoulder length).
    Goal: MBL
    10-28-15 (BC Date)

In addition, build a routine for yourself that will work for you and do your homework (if possible research online) to find out what's your porosity, density and texture. Because knowing these things are important. This will be the only way to know what products will work well with your hair. There are 4Cs with coarse texture and fine texture.

Here's example of my products & routine:

Here's my List:
    * Means I haven't use it yet, but purchased.

Eco Style Black Castor & Flaxseed Oil (gel)
    Eco Styler Olive Oil (gel)
    *Beautiful Textures Curl Definer Styling Custard (curl styling custard--contains no sulfates or parabens)
    Eden BodyWorks Natural Curl Defining Creme (curl defining cream)
    Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Curling Cream ( curl defining cream)
    *Beautiful Textures Curl Control Defining Pudding (curl defining cream--contains no sulfates or parabens)
    Health & Beauty Secret Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay (bentonite clay)
    Renpure Originals Argan Oil Luxurious Shampoo (shampoo--contains no sulfates, parabens, dyes, gluten, phthalates & propylene glycol)
    Renpure Originals Argan Oil Luxurious Conditioner(conditioner--contains no sulfates, parabens, dyes, gluten, phthalates & propylene glycol)
    Aussie Moist (conditioner--I use when detangling my hair before shampooing--It DOES has Sulfate and or alcohol, but has amazing slips)
    Alberto VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream + Soy Milk Protein (conditioner--I use when detangling my hair before shampooing and when doing a protein treatment. It has amazing slips).
    Kinky- Curly Knot Today Leave-In & Detangler (leave-in conditioner or detangler. I used before and or after I shampoo my hair).
    Cantu Shea Butter Hydrating Leave-In Conditioning Mist (leave-in conditioner)
    Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioning Repair Cream(leave-in conditioner)
    Lily of The Desert Aloe Vera Gel (I use with water & oil inside an applicator bottle). I spritz my hair daily.
    Spectrum Organic Virgin Coconut Oil (oil)
    Piping Rock Castor Oil 100% Pure (oil--It is expeller pressed & contains no hexane)
    GEM Extra Virgin Olive Oil (oil)
    Ibera Sunflower & Avocado Oil (oil)
    Jamaican Mango & Lime Pure Jamaican Black Castor Oil
    (oil)
    GreenBeauty Products Real Protein Treatment (HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN)
    Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (I use this with my bentonite clay and when I want to clarify my hair (or stop itchy scalp) with water in an applicator bottle. Then, rinse it out in cold water (warm if using the clay mask).

I know this is a lot of products. I am experimenting with my hair to see what works and I like to stock up on products for a couple of months. lol Moreover, I shampoo my hair once a week and clarify my hair once a month. Every time I shampoo, I always do a deep conditioner treatment (this is with conditioner mix with HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN. I am starting out with a protein treatment for every two weeks (until after a month. Then, it will change to once a month). This routine will help make my hair journey a healthy one. Hope this helps you to get an idea to make a regimen and routine that's best for you. Good Luck.

Natural state: awkward stage; shoulder length (front is above chin length and back is almost shoulder length).
    10-28-15 (BC Date)

• shaberry14shaberry14 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for that list. I did an online test and it said i was low porosity? but i did a strand test in water and it stayed in the middle so idk. So far i love fortified naturals that works well for hydration. I have a few deep conditioners that work. I noticed i need to deep condition once a week. I tried a protein mask and my hair felt so hard and dry. I did not deep condition last week and i notice my hair just comes out in whole strands. I do know i need a good cut and to lay off blow drying. Ultimately i want to be able to twist my hair and have the twist out be moisturized and last more than 2 days.

I heard about this clay rinse. I also see that they sell it in my beauty store i may have to pick it up. OH i also have the flax seed gel and its amazing.
    shaberry14 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for that list. I did an online test and it said i was low porosity? but i did a strand test in water and it stayed in the middle so idk. So far i love fortified naturals that works well for hydration. I have a few deep conditioners that work. I noticed i need to deep condition once a week. I tried a protein mask and my hair felt so hard and dry. I did not deep condition last week and i notice my hair just comes out in whole strands. I do know i need a good cut and to lay off blow drying. Ultimately i want to be able to twist my hair and have the twist out be moisturized and last more than 2 days.

I heard about this clay rinse. I also see that they sell it in my beauty store i may have to pick it up. OH i also have the flax seed gel and its amazing.

Hi, shaberry. You are welcome. Seems like you are on the right path in a healthy natural hair journey. Sometimes, we all just need a little push and encouragement. :)

10-28-15 (BC Date)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file