Ouidad Curl Immersion Triple Treat Deep Conditioner

SundialSundial Registered Users Posts: 72
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone tried this and how it works?

I bought it recently (it was quite expensive due to having to buy it from overseas) and was surprised to learn that it had dimethicone in it. I wasn't expecting that in a product designed for curly hair, and I'm not sure if I should use it - my hair doesn't handle silicones well, I've been strictly silicone free for a few years.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    does it have "PEG" with the word dimethicone? if so, it is water-soluble and safe to use.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Here is the Sciency Hair Blogs discussion about silicones: Silicone Ingredient Solubility List. It covers not only which are water soluable/insoluable but some special cases. Note though that you will probably still have to look at your own experience. For example, she treats amodimethicone as a special case because it doesn't build up, so she considers it good for damaged hair. However, I found my hair did much better without it anyway. Another helpful article she has about removing silicones: Detergents that Remove: Silicones. (Again, she states at the bottom that cocamidopropyl betaine "may" remove silicones, however, I know from experience (with amodimethicone!) it doesn't do it for my hair.)

It never fails to amaze me how many curly hair specific products have dimethicone (and I mean the non-water-soluable...non-exceptional kind). But I think also, some people's hair can take it, which is partly why they exist. But the cynic in me thinks it is also so that the producers can upsell you on clarifiers and deep treatments.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file