CurlTalk

Cantu hair products

anonymous_1037anonymous_1037 Posts: 213Registered Users
I want to try their leave-in and mosturizer? What are your opinions?

Comments

• suthrnqtsuthrnqt Posts: 80Registered Users
    here is a thread from the 4a board about the cantu shea butter leave-in. i didn't have good results with it, but ALOT of people do. i say go ahead and give it a try :)

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/viewtopic.php?t=77336
    4a/b with a patch of 3c
    OS - fine strands, wiry texture
    big and thick beautiful hair :)
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fsuthrnqt%2F" class="Popup
    password: growout
    blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuthrnqt.spaces.live.com%2F" class="Popup
  • blackhoney112blackhoney112 Posts: 126Registered Users
    I too didn't have a good experience with their grow strong hair butter (too much protein caused breakage and shedding) or moisturizer (did not moisturize hair felt drier afterward)but give it a try it may work for you....
    3c/4a
    Transitioning
    Following C&G method
    Fav products: Kenra MC, Misskey 10en1, VO5 moisturemilks, ACV rinses, Rhassoul clay & WGO
    pw: Romeo
    My hair album
  • Godiva4Godiva4 Posts: 7Registered Users
    My hair absolutely adores the Cantu Leave-in. It's the first creamy leave-in I've tried and I have no cause to find another at this time. I wasn't particularily fond of the oil moisturizer though.
  • anonymous_4926anonymous_4926 Posts: 678Registered Users
    i used to use the leave-in everyday for moisture but have since switched to a hand mix of coconut and castor oils. i love the leave-in because it's a perfect consistency to apply to my thick hair when it's either wet or dry. some people complained about white residue; frankly i think they were using too much because the one time in a year (and two jars) that i have had white residue was when i used too much of the product. it also doesn't play nice with other products, but i found the leave-in sufficient to use on its own. in fact, it's the only product i use when i set my twists medium to small two-strand twists. i say buy it!
    natural since 1998. trying to adapt to this midwest weather while still keeping it simple. current length: MBL (stretched)

www.fotki.com/curlymami
    pw: enter
  • shawnetteshawnette Posts: 482Registered Users
    curlymami wrote: »
    i used to use the leave-in everyday for moisture but have since switched to a hand mix of coconut and castor oils. i love the leave-in because it's a perfect consistency to apply to my thick hair when it's either wet or dry. some people complained about white residue; frankly i think they were using too much because the one time in a year (and two jars) that i have had white residue was when i used too much of the product. it also doesn't play nice with other products, but i found the leave-in sufficient to use on its own. in fact, it's the only product i use when i set my twists medium to small two-strand twists. i say buy it!

Very true!

I used to use it but since I've started using more natural products, the condition of my hair has improved by leaps and bounds. If you want, you can PM me your address and I'll send you the partially used jar I have so that you can try it out. I won't be using it.
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    The Cantu leave-in did nothing for my hair. It felt good when i rinsed it out though so I guess it did do something for my hair after all. It costs about 5 bucks depending on were you live so I say try it. It seems to workout for a lot of women so it just may work on your hair.
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • hypnotichypnotic Posts: 613Registered Users
    it's decent but i prefer sheamoisture for my twists outs

i still half a jar which i use for emergencies...meaning i dont spend the night at my place

i do love the consistency can anyone recommend a more natural product that has less ingredients (no silicone) and is of the same consistency

thanks
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50, Nexxus Aloe Rid
    Detangling Conditioner: Oyin Honey Hemp, EO Sweet Orange
    Cowash Conditioner:
    Suave Naturals Sea Breeze, V05 Tea Therapy, Oyin Honey Hemp
    Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Spa Siam Coconut Hair Mask, Yes to Carrots Mud Mask
    Leave-in Conditioner: Afroveda NU Milk Hair Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, Knot Today
    Stylers: SheaMoisture, JC Nourish and Shine, Burdock Root Butter Cream, Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask
  • ParatyParaty Posts: 394Registered Users
    I haven't used it in almost 2 years so this is from memory, but my Qhemet Burdock root butter cream reminds me of the cantu shea butter minus the stickiness, scent, and ingredients. hth.
    Hair • Wellness • Style Blog

Routine: Cleanse Kenra Clarifying, Deep Co with Matrix Biolage Balm + oil (EVOO, avocado, KCPP or Wild Growth oil),:glasses1:Style with Matrix Biolage Balm + KCPP; or Aloe water + KCPP + KCCC; or CR Almond Jai + styler (KCCC, KCPP or Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Treluxe combo (Treluxe UK leave-in, KCPP, Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Eco gel alone (Argan or Olive). Avoiding Buildup with low glycerin, coconut, shea, honey, non-keratin protein.
    Paraty wrote: »
    I haven't used it in almost 2 years so this is from memory, but my Qhemet Burdock root butter cream reminds me of the cantu shea butter minus the stickiness, scent, and ingredients. hth.

Lol!!

Try:

60/40/10 aloe gel / shea butter / castor oil with some glycerine, honey or agave nectar (1 of these, not all 3, about 1tsp should do).

I just whipped up batch and it's not as slimy feeling as the Cantu stuff. It's pretty nice. The plus side is you can also use it on your skin.

The Cantu has lanolin oil in it, but I used castor. Both are very heavy oils but castor is lighter. Use the skincare type aloe gel, not the food grade.
    shawnette wrote: »
    Paraty wrote: »

Lol!!

Try:

60/40/10 aloe gel / shea butter / castor oil with some glycerine, honey or agave nectar (1 of these, not all 3, about 1tsp should do).

I just whipped up batch and it's not as slimy feeling as the Cantu stuff. It's pretty nice. The plus side is you can also use it on your skin.

The Cantu has lanolin oil in it, but I used castor. Both are very heavy oils but castor is lighter.

Ok, so I just took a TBSP of the original mix and added 2TBSP aloe gel and it's really nice! Almost the exact consistency of the Cantu stuff. I'm going to use it after my hendigo tomorrow.
  • Godiva4Godiva4 Posts: 7Registered Users
    I'll definitely have to try that mix. Sounds like it could be cost effective. Thanks for sharing!
  • ParatyParaty Posts: 394Registered Users
    Ahhhh, I just purchased a hand mixer earlier this week to whip some shea butter. I have all of those ingredients so you know I'm going to try this too. :toothy8:
    Hair • Wellness • Style Blog

Routine: Cleanse Kenra Clarifying, Deep Co with Matrix Biolage Balm + oil (EVOO, avocado, KCPP or Wild Growth oil),:glasses1:Style with Matrix Biolage Balm + KCPP; or Aloe water + KCPP + KCCC; or CR Almond Jai + styler (KCCC, KCPP or Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Treluxe combo (Treluxe UK leave-in, KCPP, Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Eco gel alone (Argan or Olive). Avoiding Buildup with low glycerin, coconut, shea, honey, non-keratin protein.
  • SugarNutsSugarNuts Posts: 250Registered Users
    yhst-50223518357615_2042_5600700 I coat my wet hair with this first. Then I twist my hair with Miss Jessie's Curly Creme mixed with Proclaim's 7-oils w/ Olive Oil. I abosolutely love Cantu's leave-in. It really helps with the breakage. I am in the process of transitioning. So, it has been helping.
    Hair Type: 4a/4b Combo
    Last Relaxer: May/June 2008
    Big Chop: N/A
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers.fotki.com%2FSugarNuts" class="Popup (1/31)
    Detangle/Co-Wash: VO5 Freesia or Green Tea
    Shampoo: White Vinegar

Deep Con. Treat.: Aussie 3-min. & Olive Oil
    Final Wash: Nexxus Humectress
    Moist. Spritz: Glycerin, Water, Proclaim 7-Olive Oil, Suave Extreme Leave-In

age.png
  • Mona906Mona906 Posts: 59Registered Users
    I do like the Cantu Shea butter leave-in creme. It is the only leave-in that works nice with my thick hair. I haven't tried anything else from that line only the leave-in con.
    *Been natural all my life, and still finding out ways to make it better.*:read2:
    *Hair type- 4b/4a
    *Hair regimen- Still not sure :dontknow:

"Incredible God deserves Incredible Praise"
  • LB91LB91 Posts: 107Registered Users
    I didn't really like it. It felt moist when I applied it but then the next day it would be hard and I would have flakes in it. It was so embarrassing walking out the house with all those little flakes in my hair. On the plus side it made combing my hair really east. But you should try it because it has mixed reviews.
    Cowash : Yes to Carrots
    Detangling Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in Mix: Tresemme Naturals, coconut oil, glycerin, aloe vera gel
    Moisturizing Styler: Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream
    Sealent: Castor Oil
    None of these products contain silicones, protein, or sulfates. If this doesn't end my dry spell I don't know what I will do.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    it was OK for my hair, but smelled fishy once dried, and eventually caused a rash on my neck.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • happynappshappynapps Posts: 21Registered Users
    The leave in conditioner is the only product I have tried from this line and I like it. As long as you don't use to much of it. I use it along with a moisturizer and it works pretty good. If I use to much of it my hair gets to oily. But I'm still learning and trying new things myself.
    4c,I think
  • Booker Ts MamaBooker Ts Mama Posts: 670Registered Users
    I used it when I first went natural. As long as my hair was wet, it felt really soft. But, when it dried, it was hard as a rock. I even mixed it with jojoba oil and got the same result. I finally ended up throwing it away and using something else.
  • NeemsNeems Posts: 88Registered Users
    I bought cantu leave-in conditioner in november because my hair was getting dry from New England weather. When my hair was wet it felt fine, but once it dried my hair was hard and brittle. I haven't used it so I tried again this week. Well, I've come to the conclusion my 4b hair doesn't like it. I hope you have better luck with it.
  • jesimon003jesimon003 Posts: 41Registered Users
    MY HAIR TYPE IS A 3C. THE CANTU SHEA BUTTER LEAVE IN IS GREAT BUT THE MOISTURIZER SUCKS!:goofy:

Shampoo: giovanni clarifying/ aohsr/ng
    Conditoner: giovanni calming/aohsr/ng/ yes to cucumber
    Stylers: kcc, ao b5 gel
    Moisturizer: cm/ kc pomade/ jc n&s
    Sealer: jojoba oil

* LEARNING TO LOVE WHAT THE GOOD LORD GAVE ME*
  • NubianPrizeNubianPrize Posts: 123Registered Users
    happy 4b wrote: »
    I want to try their leave-in and mosturizer? What are your opinions?

I've been using this off & on for the past few months & so far so good. I'm dealing with post curly perm "scab hair" so it's not always easy to get results because they vary withy the condition of my hair & the weather. Anyhow, I went back to it today after using ayurvedic oils : amla & vatika & Qhemet Biologics samples. I had to really load my haie with a lot of Cantu & at first it wasn't as soft as it had been last time I used it,but I put some unrefined virgin coconut buttoer on over it & a plastic cap for about 3 hours while I did housework. Took off cap & went to gym for intense workout. I'm lucky in that I don't sweat much in my scalp. Hair got dry & is now nice & soft.
    Hair type 4 "mystery":dontknow:
    Fine,soft hair with little penspring curls of different sizes. Small patch of wavy hair at center of my nape. Did BC in 2009 after 28yrs of curly perms.
    Products:WEN Fig, KinkyCurly, QhemetBiologics, SheaMoisture, Vatika oil, EVCO, EVOO, WGO, JBCO products
  • MsSeanaMsSeana Posts: 3Registered Users
    My curl type: Mostly 3c, but waves and kinks in some places, and looser curls in other places. I had tried this right after my BC as just a plain leave in, but I got dry hair with crunch. Recommended it to a friend with type 3 curls, she got AMAZING results. Her hair is not as thick as mine is. The other day, I decided to use it for a co-wash, and BINGO. Detangled beautifully, and absorbed into my hair almost immediately (I was cowashing in the shower and since my hair shaft was open because of the warm water, I think that's the reason for the awesome results). I also tried it as a DC, mixed it with extra virgin olive oil (it mixes BEAUTIFULLY. Trick: Use an egg whisk to get it to mix in completely) and left it on my hair with a plastic cap and microfiber towel...so defined and softened my curls! Took the cap off, air dried, and lo and behold, i had slinkies (what i call well defined curls) soft, and could pull and tug and it would bounce right back. So now, I have some mixed in with the Cantu cream shampoo for washing, and my mixture with the EVOO for when I'm out of the shower. When the water in my hair cools down the product sinks in and camps out, and makes my hair soft but frizz free and controlled, which is what I need right now since it's so very short. Conclusion: by itself, it can "sit" on your hair, but in the shower for me, it sinks right in and softens. Then out of the shower, used as a leave in mixed with EVOO and combed through gently with a three row straightening comb....let air dry....soft, stays in place. Waiting for my hair to grow long enough to BOUNCE!
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    I have only used leave in back early in my journey and didnt like it. Hair was dry. At the time i was cowashing every day so now I know it was the buildup from the dimethicone which my hair hates. Want to try that recipe.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • puppitypuppuppitypup Posts: 115Registered Users
    I'm a huge fan of cantu shea butter! I use that and olive oil alone after I cowash :)
    3C, fine/med texture, normal porosity, high elasticity, very defined spiral

Holy Grail Products: TRESemme Naturals conditioner, my mango/shea butter mixture, Apricot Kernel Oil, Coconut Oil, EVOO & Cantu Shea Butter

Check out my blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fricciolina.wordpress.com" class="Popup
  • KetchupKetchup Posts: 375Registered Users
    Tried the leave in, in the tub. My hair was so dry afterwards!

Blame Siri for the typos!
  • cnichm09cnichm09 Posts: 8Registered Users
    Made my hair extremely dry
    !!! Tried it during my transition and after my bc to see if there would be a difference. After a year I still have 95% of a full tub.
  • SCarrinSCarrin Posts: 160Registered Users
    I used the leave in early in my transition. It made combing out my hair great. But didn't really provide any moisture after it dried. I've been meaning to try it again mixed with oils.

Sent from my ADR6350 using CurlTalk App