Oh do I need help

kbeanakbeana Posts: 2Registered Users
I have what I think is 2c hair. Curly as heck on some days, other days wants to lay flat. I do a lot of scrunching and hop between products trying to find the perfect combination. My curl has really improved since getting a deva cut, which I am loving!

I also am in my 40s, have had a lot of gray for a while and have been coloring for years. It's a light brown color, getting slightly darker over the years. Generally I get a salon color with highlights. BUT the older I get, the more gray I have and the faster it seems to grow in. I really need to get the roots colored every 3 weeks, and I just can't afford to get it done at the salon that often!

In the past I have tried root touch up kits in between salon visits. It works ok, but if I do more than a couple in a row my hair tends to look brassy. Plus they stopped carrying my color in my local WalMart, as well as the one an hour away.

I tried using esalon.com. The first time I really liked it. The second time, I had a layer of white gunk on my head that took 3 or 4 shampoos, much combing, and finally scraping with my fingernails to get off. It was awful. Color turned out ok but I was panicking for a while there. They gave me a refund, I hoped it was a bad batch and tried it a 3rd time - same horrible gunk. Plus it didn't really color my grays. So I'm done with that.

Recently I bought a color at Sally's. I think it's lighter than what it should be, so I'm not really digging it. Plus I'm not sure if it's really coloring my grays.

So. Any advice for fellow curly haired girls not wanting to grow gray gracefully?? I would love to use something from Sally's or somewhere that I can mix myself as needed, though I'm not opposed to a box if there's a good one. There's just so many brands and types to try and I really am lost. I need to color my roots every 3 weeks, as I mentioned, so it can't be super harsh on my hair....but at the same time, I want it covering my grays!!

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!
2c, coarse and thick, high porosity, brown/blond
lots of gray that I am not ready to show!

Comments

• kbeanakbeana Posts: 2Registered Users
    I meant to add: I would love to ask my stylist what brand she uses for my color. I think that would be the perfect solution....I can't do the highlights myself, I'm sure, but root touch up I'm sure I can. BUT. I live in a small town and I feel guilty as heck even asking her, since obviously if she told me, she's losing out on money.

I know one time she mentioned my grays were pretty hard to color and she had to use a 510 or 501 or something like that on it. Does that ring a bell with anyone?
    2c, coarse and thick, high porosity, brown/blond
    lots of gray that I am not ready to show!
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,729Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    if i didn't colour my hair every 3 weeks, it would have been totally white about a decade ago!

i use L'anza from Italy and buy it on eBay. this colour is so good that i only need 10 volume peroxide and i leave it on 40 minutes. the coverage is great.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you looked into Color by Robert Craig? www.robertcraig.com
    It's really gentle and you do it yourself at home, mixing only with water! I've used it for many many years. I like my grays to look like highlights, so I use lighter colors. You can use darker ones to cover them completely, or use lighter to create highlights. LMK if you have any questions about it.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you looked into Color by Robert Craig? www.robertcraig.com
    It's really gentle and you do it yourself at home, mixing only with water! I've used it for many many years. I like my grays to look like highlights, so I use lighter colors. You can use darker ones to cover them completely, or use lighter to create highlights. LMK if you have any questions about it.
    "Mixing only with water" is a little disingenuous. Robert Craig color contains sodium perborate, which, when mixed with water, creates hydrogen peroxide, which is damaging to hair.

RC is a demi-permanent, also, which isn't the best for grey coverage for most people. The OP is getting "double base" right now, which is specifically for resistant greys. They aren't going to get the coverage they want from a demi.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file