2c or 3a? Advice on cut and routine

the2blackswansthe2blackswans Registered Users Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
edited July 2018 in Hair Type 2
Hi there!
As I wrote in the Newbies info/Introductions forum, I'm a new member and I suppose my hair type is between 2c and 3a, thin, high porosity and medium thickness. My hair looks great on one day but then hangs down very soon.
Here you can find two photos of my hair:
---
What type do you think it is?

First of all I'm going to cut my curls in a couple of weeks, since my goal is to have more voluminous and curlier hair and I absolutely hate their flat top. Then, I would also like to change my routine and start the CG method! Do you have any suggestions on which products I should buy?

Thank you in advance,

Federica

Comments

• RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
    Your "flat top" leads me to say 2c, but it will be interesting to see if the haircut causes more curl. In my case, shorter hair made no difference to the curl pattern. Either way, you have excellent definition and uniformity - beautiful!
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • the2blackswansthe2blackswans Registered Users Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
    edited July 2018
    Thank you for your reply RafterBat!
    Thanks also for the compliments, but this is really an awful period for my hair
    Some years ago I cut my hair a lot (my shortest haircut ever) and it was much curlier. Anyway I won't reply a cut like this, since it doesn't fit my face shape, but I'd also love to have again that definition!

Federica

RafterBat wrote: »
    Your "flat top" leads me to say 2c, but it will be interesting to see if the haircut causes more curl. In my case, shorter hair made no difference to the curl pattern. Either way, you have excellent definition and uniformity - beautiful!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with RafterBat - 2c - but maybe shorter hair will cause curlier curls. Long hair straightens due to gravity, which I suppose is obvious but I only recently realized that is the reason. Your hair color is very pretty.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    Your other picture you posted with the short hair looks like definite 3a. Very nice root curl too.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Alyssa_TaitAlyssa_Tait Registered Users Posts: 1
    It's possible that the flat top is your natural curl pattern. I have the same problem! It's so annoying. Cutting it shorter honestly did not help much. I read somewhere on one of these forums that it could be due to "product build up" and to try a regular, and consistent clarifying routine. Here is a link to a slideshow that outlines some signs that you should start a clarifying routine :) A baking soda/water mixture will work if you are skeptical of shampoos.

https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/clarifying-no-poo/you-need-to-clarify-signs-that-co-washing-is-not-enough/#!slide7

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file