2a frizzy hair-idk what products to use or hair routine

bonjourbonjour Registered Users Posts: 6
I have 2a hair. I have tried sea salt spray to help make waves form but it just makes my hair frizzy. Any product suggestions I could buy at a drugstore like walmart, walgreens, target or ulta?? I have tried brushing it in the shower before I condition and then not brushing it again but it made my hair frizzy. I just want to get rid of frizz and help make my waves form and get defined. I do not like using any heat on my hair and I like showering in the mornings so I need a product that will remove frizz and really help define my waves. When I say i have frizzy hair, I mean it. I have tried many leave in conditioners and oils and nothing helps. Any mousses, styling creams, milks, or routines I could use/do to help my hair?

EDIT: Has anyone with my hair type tried any Maui Moisture, Carol's daughter, or Cantu shampoos/conditioners? I've heard some people like them but I woulk like to know how they work for people with my hair type. Also using LA Looks Sport Gel for scrunching?
:):icescream:
2a/b low porosity hair, medium thickness, very frizzy, with long layers
Shampoo: searching
Conditioner: searching
Leave in: searching

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Are you still using the OGX Coconut Curls conditioner? I see that it has cyclopentasiloxane, which can make the hair frizzy.

Have you tried going silicone free? I find that silicone makes my hair straighter. If all you have is 2A hair, silicone might be reducing the amount of wave you get.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • bonjourbonjour Registered Users Posts: 6
    Therese1 wrote: »
    Are you still using the OGX Coconut Curls conditioner? I see that it has cyclopentasiloxane, which can make the hair frizzy.

Have you tried going silicone free? I find that silicone makes my hair straighter. If all you have is 2A hair, silicone might be reducing the amount of wave you get.
    I am still using that shampoo and conditioner but I want to try switching to another one now. Any recommendations?
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Maybe others will chime in with some drugstore recs for you. I am limited in what I can use on my hair because I have a protein sensitivity and chemical sensitivities. I use Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic poo and conditioner, which are protein free. If you don't have a protein sensitivity I would probably try something with protein.

When my hair could tolerate protein, I didn't mind the Shea Moisture Fruit Fusion poo and conditioner. It is light and made for fine hair. I know your hair is medium, so I'm not sure if the FF would be too light for you.

Basically, you want to stay away from anything with silicones. I would also steer clear of sulfates in the shampoo. Be sure to wash your hair one last time with a sulfate poo before starting a regimen with a gentle, sulfate-free poo. Sulfates are needed to remove the silicones from your hair. Your current OGX poo will not work for this because, although it contains the detergents that remove silicones, it also contains more silicones, which will be deposited onto the hair after cleansing.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    I currently use Alaffia products, and while they are usually available at Whole Foods, they aren't really at Walmart or Target. They might be at Ulta.

In the past I have also used Giovanni products, but then started finding them to be drying. I see this at the grocery store next to OGX.

I have also really liked the Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Shampoo, Conditioner, and Styling Milk. My hair used to really love silk protein. I'm more of a 2c fine haired, so I'm not sure how it will work for you though. It is available at Target, and probably Walmart and Ulta.

There has been some recent love on nc.com for Maui Moisture products.

Therese1 mentioned clarifying. I clarify with V05 Normal and just followed with a deep treatment with Suave Essentials Coconut Conditioner and my hair really liked it. (This condish has silk protein in it too.) Both are available at Walmart for less than a $1 each.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    bomega wrote: »
    I currently use Alaffia products, and while they are usually available at Whole Foods, they aren't really at Walmart or Target. They might be at Ulta.

In the past I have also used Giovanni products, but then started finding them to be drying. I see this at the grocery store next to OGX.

I have also really liked the Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Shampoo, Conditioner, and Styling Milk. My hair used to really love silk protein. I'm more of a 2c fine haired, so I'm not sure how it will work for you though. It is available at Target, and probably Walmart and Ulta.

Therese1 mentioned clarifying. I clarify with V05 Normal and just followed with a deep treatment with Suave Essentials Coconut Conditioner and my hair really liked it. (This condish has silk protein in it too.) Both are available at Walmart for less than a $1 each.
    Thank you so much!
    I'm kind of new to trying to take care of my hair could you let me know what you mean by "clarifying"? What is that?
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    I have seen people on Naturally Curly raving about Maui Moisture. I haven't tried it, but it is probably worth check out the thread. It is available in drug stores, Target and Ulta.

https://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/179948-maui-moisture-products-ulta.html
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    bonjour wrote: »

Thank you so much!
    I'm kind of new to trying to take care of my hair could you let me know what you mean by "clarifying"? What is that?
    Clarifying is just using a shampoo with a clarifying chemical. Sulfate shampoos will clarify, but there are other clarifying detergents that are more gentle. Hair can get buildup from the various products we use. As part of the curly girl method it is advised to avoid silicones because these coat the hair and prevent moisture and from getting to the hair. In addition, to remove silicones you have to use harsh shampoos (sulfates) which are drying and damaging to hair.

However, even products that are healthy can buildup and cause hair to look frizzy, dry or otherwise uncooperative. The emollients that moisturize and protect curly hair can build up. Polyquats which help improve the condition of hair and work as a barrier to combat humidity-induced frizz without completely creating a barrier can also build up. Clarifying can remove those too. You can clarify with a sulfate shampoo for this, or there are some clarifying shampoos too. Clarifying will leave the hair "exposed" so it is usually followed with a deep treatment. Deep treatment can be with a special product with extra emollients or protein or can be with just your usual conditioner left on longer, and possibly with heat.

The Sciency Hair Blog discusses these in way more detail that you ever thought possible.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

Thank you so much!
    Clarifying is just using a shampoo with a clarifying chemical. Sulfate shampoos will clarify, but there are other clarifying detergents that are more gentle. Hair can get buildup from the various products we use. As part of the curly girl method it is advised to avoid silicones because these coat the hair and prevent moisture and from getting to the hair. In addition, to remove silicones you have to use harsh shampoos (sulfates) which are drying and damaging to hair.

However, even products that are healthy can buildup and cause hair to look frizzy, dry or otherwise uncooperative. The emollients that moisturize and protect curly hair can build up. Polyquats which help improve the condition of hair and work as a barrier to combat humidity-induced frizz without completely creating a barrier can also build up. Clarifying can remove those too. You can clarify with a sulfate shampoo for this, or there are some clarifying shampoos too. Clarifying will leave the hair "exposed" so it is usually followed with a deep treatment. Deep treatment can be with a special product with extra emollients or protein or can be with just your usual conditioner left on longer, and possibly with heat.

The Sciency Hair Blog discusses these in way more detail that you ever thought possible.
    Thank you!
    How long should I use clarifying products for?
    As long as you keep using silicones you will have to sulfate clarify. Once you quit the OGX (to quit the silicones), just one more clarify will do it. Then just once a month or so. Your hair will tell you when it wants to clarify.

EDIT: Has anyone with my hair type tried any Maui Moisture, Carol's daughter, or Cantu shampoos/conditioners? I've heard some people like them but I woulk like to know how they work for people with my hair type. Also using LA Looks Sport Gel for scrunching?
    I haven't personally tried any of these, but note that the Carol's Daughter has silicones in it. If you want avoid silicones, this probably won't work.

You might want to check out Rockyn Curls blog and youtube channel. She has a lot of great product rec's and techniques that are great.

ETA: You might want to double check the Carol's Daughter you are looking at. Several formula have cones (the non-water-soluable kind) but several are ok. Read carefully, because in some cases, a shampoo was safe, but the matching conditioner had the cones.

I haven't personally tried any of these, but note that the Carol's Daughter has silicones in it. If you want avoid silicones, this probably won't work.

You might want to check out Rockyn Curls blog and youtube channel. She has a lot of great product rec's and techniques that are great.
    Thank you!
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso

Thank you!

I personally did not like Maui Moisture. I thought the shampoo was really harsh, and the conditioner was not conditioning enough. I've only used one Cantu product - the curling cream. It's really heavy on my hair and REALLY conditioning, so I save it for when I really need extra moisturizing and don't mind if my hair goes flat. And even then, I only use a tiny bit. Never tried Carol's Daughter. But I do love the LA Looks Sports Gel! You might want to look for Shea Moisture Fruit Fusion line. I haven't tried it (it's not available where I live), but I've heard good things about it.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • faithiebee123faithiebee123 Registered Users Posts: 26 Curl Neophyte
    I liked the Maui Moisture products decently well. I do agree that it's not quite moisturizing enough but boy does it smell good!! I'm going to try the curl quench (orange bottle) Maui Moisture one. I've tried the coconut milk (blue bottle) one. I'm currently trying the SM coconut and hibiscus shampoo and conditioner. It worked great for the first two weeks but now it's starting to feel too heavy for my hair. I'm moving to a drier climate in a few months though so I'm going to save it for once I'm living there since my hair might need more love than it needs right now. I'm also wondering if my hair just needed some protein and now it doesn't need as much. I LOVE the SM fruit fusion line but I stopped being able to find it :( I have seen it at Ulta but I don't like going there just for shampoo since it's a little far from where I live. It's also online. It's my favorite so far though so I might have to resign myself to ordering it.
    2a/b fine strands, medium density, possibly medium/high porosity

Current products:
    SM raw shea butter moisture retention shampoo and conditioner 
    LA Looks mega hold gel (the yellow one)
    looking for a leave-in
  • Kati.BrownKati.Brown Registered Users Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
    I think knowing your hairs porosity is a must before buying any hair care products. I have coarse, 2b/c hair that is high porosity on my right side and low porosity on the left. It sucks, lol. But it does make me appreciate the differences between products for each hair type.
    I have not found a drug store conditioner that works for my hair, only Raw curls conditioner works for both sides. Shea moistures fruit fusion shampoo is nice as well.
    I am finding that adding cowashing into my routine has been helpful. I like edens cowash. I cowash 3 times a week and shampoo 4 times. I have seborrheic dermatitis so I use a sulfate dandruff shampoo twice a week followed by a deep conditioner.
    Styling products I like bada bing gel which is at Sallys, or la looks.
    I do like to have a curl enhancer in there before the hard hold gel, I use shea moisture superfruit complex soft hold gel, or ag recoil (i like it better but its not a drugstore product, found at Ulta).
    Diffusing helps give me curls, and controls frizz for me. I use the xtava blow dryer with the huge black orchid diffuser. I bought it on amazon for like $30.
    I finish with shea moisture daily hydration finishing oil serum. It controls frizzies nicely.
    Nothing can contain all my frizz though, I think its just part of my hair, but these products have helped.
  • EyeAmShanEyeAmShan Registered Users Posts: 22 Curl Neophyte

Yikes! I just purchased Carol's Daughter Original Leave in. Which ingredients are silicone? I can't figure it out. Help!
    EyeAmShan wrote: »

Yikes! I just purchased Carol's Daughter Original Leave in. Which ingredients are silicone? I can't figure it out. Help!
    The Carol's Daughter Original Leave In looks ok. The OP was looking for shampoos/conditioners, and the Carol's Daughter Hair Milk Cleansing Cowash has cyclopentahexane, dimethicone, and Divynildimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, none of which are water-soluable.

The Sciency Hair Blog has this great post about it. She also has another one about how to remove them.

ETA: Look again, the Monoi, Almond Milk, and Hair Milk shampoos have 'cones, but the Vanilla shampoo did not. Then ironically, the Hair Milk conditioner did have cones, but the Vanilla cond didn't. There were still several formulas of both I did not check.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file