Best coconut free products

peachpuppeachpup Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi everyone! I am hoping you guys could recommend some of your favorite COCONUT-FREE products for me to take a look at? After a long period of trial and error, it's finally been established that coconut products are TERRIBLE for my biracial 3c hair. It has completely dried out my hair and has turned into the incredibly frustrating high porosity mess that it is today!! Unfortunately most of the rest of the world finds coconut products to be beneficial for their curls, so I can honestly spend hours scouring the hair product aisles at my local beauty shops and Ulta for products that don't use coconut. And the catcher is that I just recently found out that coconut oil = caprylic/capric triglycerides, so who knows how many other words I don't know for coconut oil?

Also maybe if someone has an explanation why my hair hates coconut products so much? I'm trying to be more mindful of listening to it and figuring out why we put the things on it that we do (wheats, proteins, cones, etc.) So I know I'm in the right place! :toothy4:

Comments

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi,

Welcome to nc.com. :) My summer-time HG product the Alaffia Revitalizing Shampoo and Condition are coconut free as are the Honey Nourishing and Neem Recovery shamp/condish. The Honey Nourishing ones have oat protein if that is something your high porosity hair might like. The Wavy-Curly Defining Gel is also coconut oil free but it looks like their other products have coconut oil. Alaffia is such a great company I feel like their products are at least worth a try. They are often available at places like Whole Foods so you could try at no risk.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    I am in the same boat. I also don't like coconut in my hair (or should I say my hair does not like coconut in it). I haven't gone so far as checking for caprylic/capric triglycerides.

This is a good resource for Science + Hair with a post on hair & coconut
    Science-y Hair Blog: Coconut Oil Makes My Hair Stiff! (Or rough, brittle, or breaking)

I find that if the coconut is further down the ingredient list it doesn't bother me as much.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • ReservechicReservechic Registered Users Posts: 798
    peachpup wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I am hoping you guys could recommend some of your favorite COCONUT-FREE products for me to take a look at? After a long period of trial and error, it's finally been established that coconut products are TERRIBLE for my biracial 3c hair. It has completely dried out my hair and has turned into the incredibly frustrating high porosity mess that it is today!! Unfortunately most of the rest of the world finds coconut products to be beneficial for their curls, so I can honestly spend hours scouring the hair product aisles at my local beauty shops and Ulta for products that don't use coconut. And the catcher is that I just recently found out that coconut oil = caprylic/capric triglycerides, so who knows how many other words I don't know for coconut oil?

Also maybe if someone has an explanation why my hair hates coconut products so much? I'm trying to be more mindful of listening to it and figuring out why we put the things on it that we do (wheats, proteins, cones, etc.) So I know I'm in the right place! :toothy4:

Hello!:)

Some people's hair reacts very well to certain ingredients, while other people's hair don't. All of our hair is genetically different, which is why, individual results with products and even pure oils definitely varies. And, that does include coconut oil for sure.

In regards to coconut oil free products, the only three that I personally know of are Kinky Curly's Knot Today, Kinky-Curly's Curling Custard and Darcy's Botanical's Sweet Cocoa Bean Curl Moisturizing Whip. In regards to how these products will work for you, i personally can't make any guarantees, just recommendations. I am a mixed race curly, I have a naturally loose curl pattern (I do not curltype), my hair is naturally dry, fine textured, low density, and is of high porosity. To me, they are some of the best curly hair products on the market, while for others they may not be. However, because I have had nothing but very positive results with these products, this is why I am recommending them to you to try, just to see how they may possibly react with your hair.

I also do have positive results with products that have coconut oil in them as well (not all products that have coconut oil, only those that happen to agree with my own individual hair). Oh, any negative effects that you've received from coconut oil having been used on your hair, those are just temporary, not long-lasting, and can easily be reversed.

Best of luck to you with your hair journey!:thumright:
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • RedHeadQueenRedHeadQueen Registered Users Posts: 5 Curl Neophyte
    So happy about this thread. I spent a long time in the stores looking at labels. I am allergic to Coconut and every hair company loves to slide it in their products like its a miracle maker or something. Plus coconut it just a protein and I don't need it.
    C/Mii, 3bc+4a , BSL, LPOROSITY
    Haircare Regimen All Linked
    Cleanser:Neutrogena T/Sal
    Low Poo:CON w/AO
    Conditioner:Hair 1
    Leave In:CHI Keratin Mist
    DT:Hair 1 Masque
    Treatments:Chi Silk Infusion,Hask Placenta Super Strength
    Protein:Nexxus Protein Complex
    Styling: 1NO Argan CC,Eco CO FS
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Products I use that are coconut free are Curl Junkie Beauticurls leave-in, Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Conditioner, Eden BodyWorks Peppermint Tea Tree conditioner (I find this too conditioning for my fine hair; coarse hair might like it), Sevi Blue Yarrow Hair Gel (this makes my hair limp due to the aloe in it, but I loved it before they changed the formula), Jessicurl Confident Coils, Jessicurl Gelebration Spray, and Bumble and Bumble Bb. Gel. I think that almost all the Intelligent Nutrients products are coconut free.

I didn't realize that so many of my products are coconut free. I do find that when I put coconut oil straight on my hair, my hair gets crispy. I am also protein sensitive. I wonder if the products I use work for me because they don't have coconut. Hmm.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file