silver hair book by lorraine massy

rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
i just stumbled across this on the internet. lorraine massey has written a book for silver haired curlies!!!
not yet released:cry: there is both a paperback and kindle format, but neither has been released. on barnes and noble i see a release date for paperback feb 2018.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: curl junkie 
sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    Thanks for the heads up on this. I just pre-ordered it on Amazon and it will be a birthday present to myself!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    you can pre order it on some of the websites. on barnes & noble if you pre order it the price is reduced by about 1/3.
    i'm thinking of doing that.

• ellajellaj Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 826 Curl Virtuoso
    rbb said:
    i just stumbled across this on the internet. lorraine massey has written a book for silver haired curlies!!!
    not yet released:cry: there is both a paperback and kindle format, but neither has been released. on barnes and noble i see a release date for paperback feb 2018.
    This is good news @rbb, I am buying one!  ;)

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    Got my book today! Can't wait to sit down with a cup of tea and read it over the weekend. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    @jeepcurlygurl -- i am sooooo envious!  

it was on my christmas list as a preorder....  unfortanely my son was ordering many things from amazon and mistakenly included in items going to his address (he lives 4 1/2 hrs away in another state).  he said he did see the shipping date and was pretty sure he had put my address in because of that -- the other items he had going to his house so they could wrap and bring the gifts down when they came for christmas) but guesses at some point he inadvertently bunched it in with other stuff.  and on tues, the release date, it arrived in his mailbox!!!

i told him just to keep it there and when i came up i'd get it with my girlscout cookies.  as we were talking about gray hair he said his youngest, the 5 yr old, noticed his gray hairs starting at his temples over the weekend. so discussion followed and she could not believe grandma once had black hair like her dad!  so i told him to open the book and let the girls look at it, read it.  both of them, 5 and 7, are fascinated with hair, curly, gray....  that, combined with their love of books, gave me a nice feeling about their reactions to book.  probably will skype with them sunday and will ask about it.  

meanwhile i am trying to get a library copy.  we have an interloan system where i can get library books from any library in the county.  so far they have them on order but not yet received so i can't even put a hold on it yet. but i will.  then they deliver it to my library.

long story, but i couldn't resist.  

@rbb What a great story! : )   
    I flipped through the book real quick and the pics of Lorraine's grey hair progress are so great. I'm jealous that she still has such super thick hair. 
    I'm also envious of her thick hair!

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    I am a bit disappointed in this book.  Most of it was about transitioning away from the dye.  Which is fine it that is what you need to do.  But, for those of us that have already embraced the gray (or like me just accepted it because I hate going to the salon and am too afraid to do it myself) it was lacking in information.

I also felt like she was embracing a bit of junk science.  She suggested the float test for porosity and claims that silicone suffocates your hair strands.  If I am remembering correctly Wendy from Science-y Hair Blog, pretty much disproved the float test since fine and coarse strands have different densities.  I also can't figure out how something dead, such as a hair strand can be suffocated. 
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    @WavyKfromNJ -- i haven't gotten my book yet, and am hoping to get a library copy this week.   i was really hoping that maybe she'd have some tips on ingredients/products to use that would help seal my white hair, keep it from losing moisture without weighing it down.  

that float test has been talked about sooooo much in curltalk over the years, yet nc keeps posting articles about how to find your porosity with the float test.  i don't think science is her thing.

there is one review on amazon from a curly girl who says she is disappointed in not enough info for curlies with gray.  

i heard from a local stylist that lorraine may be coming out with products for gray hair.  i'd be interested in seeing the ingredient list on those.  

I enjoyed the book, as I did her others. And like the others, some of the info pertained to me and some didn't. I thought the photos were gorgeous and I loved seeing the process and progress of growing out the grey. It is now happily on the shelf next to my other books about curly hair and grey hair. : )
    rbb said:
    @WavyKfromNJ -- i haven't gotten my book yet, and am hoping to get a library copy this week.   i was really hoping that maybe she'd have some tips on ingredients/products to use that would help seal my white hair, keep it from losing moisture without weighing it down.  

that float test has been talked about sooooo much in curltalk over the years, yet nc keeps posting articles about how to find your porosity with the float test.  i don't think science is her thing.

there is one review on amazon from a curly girl who says she is disappointed in not enough info for curlies with gray.  

i heard from a local stylist that lorraine may be coming out with products for gray hair.  i'd be interested in seeing the ingredient list on those.  

@rbb She is coming out with new potions.  She my post here: https://curltalk.naturallycurly.com/discussion/186325/lorraine-masseys-new-potions#latest 

Judging from reading her book I think they will be CG and gray friendly.
    2b, 2c,

Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    @jeepcurlygurl -- i agree with what you said, feel the same way. glad i will own the book, will use it as i currently use/refer to the curly girl book.   good for useful tips, reminders, the photos in cg book are inspiring as the silver photos seem to be from what i can tell on amazon.
    it is like her cg books in that they also are aimed towards beginners.  
    @WavyKfromNJ -- thanks for the info!   like jeep (actually i am sure i got the info from her post waaaayyyy back in the day!) i use ardell red/gold corrector.  love the price, love that i can use whatever product i want to with it and it is cg.  however, i am definitely going to check out, at least online, lorraine's products.

edited March 2018
    I decided to try one of the little tips in the book and have been having fun with it!  I know it's nothing new and I've seen it on youtube, etc before but I decided to finally try it after reading it in the book.
    I dug out my old oil pastels and have been coloring a little lock of hair various colors. It brightens my day when I look in the mirror and see it peeking out. : )
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    edited March 2018
    rbb said:

<snip>
    <snip>
    That float test gets a bad rap around curltalk. But I asked my stylist about it and she says they used it when coloring their clients hair. I think they use it in combination with other information for this, for example sensation of the hair when running up the hair, which my hair dresser actually did in front of me when I mentioned it. A good stylist probably also uses history from the client, and other info like their lifestyle. The Sciency Hair Blog has an article about the limitations of the float test, also details this secondary information and still doesn't necessarily dismiss the float test, just explains how to use it. So while by itself, it seems to give mixed results, it is meaningful in combination with other information. I think a lot people don't like to think through these things, but I think in those cases, they can just ask their stylist, who is an expert who may have already thought about it. 

I haven't read the book (I am in line at the library for it) but I saw in interview with her, and I think Lorraine Massey is actually more in tune with what hair needs than might be the case. She is first and foremost a hair dresser, and understands that hair has a history of its own that needs to be looked at when diagnosing hair problems. I think she is actually more on top of the science and the data, and has expert experience of decades informing what she says. She probably uses the float test in combination with other information, but also knows people want easy answers, and offers that up to satisfy those people. Note, I don't actually agree with everything she says (what she said about emollients really had me wondering about her) but I don't think any one point of disagreement means she should be dismissed. I just think she sometimes has a hard time explaining everything because she nerds out so much on the details.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    here's a question for those of you who read the book -- do the pictures make their hair look brown?   ie, the photos on p 135 show her hair totally,100% white, then after cut (which i love, btw!) and toner, it looks brown.

also so do other photos, like many of lorraine's.

if this were on my computer, i'd think it was my computer.  but this is the paperback.

@rbb I have an ebook.  I don't see a picture on 135, so I guess the pages are different.  Which chapter is it?
    2b, 2c,

chapter 5.  however i don't know how the colors will show on inidividual computers, etc.

If it is about Antonia, her hair looks darker to me too.  But,. I think it looks more silver and less white.  It does mention that she left the toner in longer than normal.
    2b, 2c,

yes, antonia.   
    so on white hair a toner would make it brown?  even in many other pics their hair seems brown, and i know most of them are only partly gray, but.......

To me, on Anonio's picture it looks more silvery grey than brown.  Throughout the book the photos look to me like they are the various colors of the women's hair as it grows out. Some are brown, some are blonde, some are red, some are brassy.
    As for Lorraine's photos, it looks pretty normal since her blonde hair is growing out and her natural brownish color is growing in along with her grey hair.
    That's what it looks like to my eyes anyways.
    i know most of them still have much of their own color.   in her book lorraine states that she stripped the color (blonde) and i am pretty sure she always refers to her color as a 'rusty auburn,' and if you look at her photos, the first one is a 'rusty auburn.'   

so i am saying that the toner (she says she uses the with or without  hue, and the recipe for that in book is conditioner with blue food color), so i am not knowing if there is a toner she is using that would cause her hair to be that color.  same as the last photo of antonia's.  like a very light ashy brown.  and antonia's hair was all white before toner.  

i'm just wondering what they are using that has that effect on their hair.  ???  btw, i love the color.  if it is indeed, just conditoner with blue food coloring, i am going to the supermarket immediately!  :-)

I think the blonde she stripped is from her dye days, since she did dye her hair blonde.

I remember that she did mention using Manic Panic blue in the conditioner as a homemade toner.

Or you could wait until her new products come out, since we know that is what she used.
    2b, 2c,

@rbb if you try the food color please let us know how it goes.
    2b, 2c,

I will probably wait til her website is up.     I would think food color would run if water hit it??   

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    rbb said:
    I will probably wait til her website is up.     I would think food color would run if water hit it??   
    I would think so too.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Food color is very staining so maybe once you rinse your hair there wouldn't be any running of the color? 
    @jeepcurlygurl -- checking it out on google, it seems it would not run once it's in.  
    however, as i was wondering about, it does make a potential mess -- supposed to wear old clothes, cover the floor/counters.....  so i'm not thrilled about staining my nice white tub, or the tiles....   maybe i would do it in my stainless steel kitchen sink???
    it only lasts in your hair for one, possible two weeks if you don't wash your hair frequently.  
    what i cannot figure out is that you are not supposed to wash your hair for 3 days after rinse, and it seems that it should be applied to dry hair, but i am not certain.  so could not figure out how that would work....
    and, would i use purple or blue?  i love the hue they have in the silver book, so will probably at one point in future give it a try.   it seems like a bit of a hassle, so doing it once a week is more time than i want to devote to my hair.   
    thinking i might do a strip of hair as a test???  but not now, need to learn more about it.

rbb said:

thinking i might do a strip of hair as a test??? 
    @rbb, if I may step in here, maybe you could do a couple of highlights to start with, just to see if it works for you. It would be minimal mess as you would need very little. I would use the stainless kitchen sink if you do decide to give it a go, like you said.

@ellaj -- i agree -- as i think and read about it, the more i am sure i would only do a few highlights if and when i try it.

Or you could wait until her new products come out, since we know that is what she used.
    This is what I would do @rbb. Her products have me interested, that's for sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file