New here and need some help!

Ashg4Ashg4 Posts: 2Registered Users
Hi! My name is Ashley and I am in Texas. I have always had super curly hair and haven't ever known how to care for it. I thought I had a routine down then I moved into my new home about 7 months ago and that's when things went down hill. I have dandruff and my head itches so bad it feels raw from me scratching so much. I have tried just washing my scalp and only conditioning the ends and I have tried only washing 1-2 times a week neither have helped. I heard about cowashing from my niece so I tried it one time and my hair ended up "crunchy" feeling near my scalp. I am at such a loss at this point. Can someone please help me?

Comments

• Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Posts: 124Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So you say it started when you moved, I wonder what exactly changed in that time? Did you change products? Or is it something in the air? maybe climate or you are presenting an allergy to something inside the house, is anyone in your household suffering from any type of reaction? I would recommend going to a dermatologist and immunologist first. It will give you an idea of what is going on and how to stop it.
    As for natural remedies you can do a coffee scrub for your scalp, take some grounded coffee (it can be used) mixed with olive oil and honey. Scrub your scalp very well, massage all over and rinse. For the rinse you can use chamomile tea, prepare some tea and let it cool and use that water to rinse out. Use plenty of water to take all the coffee out.
    2c, dense and coarse hair.
  • Ashg4Ashg4 Posts: 2Registered Users
    So you say it started when you moved, I wonder what exactly changed in that time? Did you change products? Or is it something in the air? maybe climate or you are presenting an allergy to something inside the house, is anyone in your household suffering from any type of reaction? I would recommend going to a dermatologist and immunologist first. It will give you an idea of what is going on and how to stop it.
    As for natural remedies you can do a coffee scrub for your scalp, take some grounded coffee (it can be used) mixed with olive oil and honey. Scrub your scalp very well, massage all over and rinse. For the rinse you can use chamomile tea, prepare some tea and let it cool and use that water to rinse out. Use plenty of water to take all the coffee out.

The thing is, I went from city water to shared well water and they shock it so much that it comes out of my faucet white and smells like chlorine. I don't know how to counteract what this water is doing to my scalp.
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ashg4 wrote: »

The thing is, I went from city water to shared well water and they shock it so much that it comes out of my faucet white and smells like chlorine. I don't know how to counteract what this water is doing to my scalp.
    Maybe try a showerhead filter specifically for chlorine, not just minerals? I think you can find them in Lowe's or Home Depot. You'd have to replace the filter every so often, but I've heard good things about them.

Another option is to rinse with distilled water, but that can get pricy depending on how long and thick your hair is.

And a 3rd possibility is to use a swimmers shampoo or one specifically designed to remove chlorine. They're pretty harsh, so you would probably need a more heavy duty conditioner to follow up.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Ashg4 wrote: »
    Hi! My name is Ashley and I am in Texas. I have always had super curly hair and haven't ever known how to care for it. I thought I had a routine down then I moved into my new home about 7 months ago and that's when things went down hill. I have dandruff and my head itches so bad it feels raw from me scratching so much. I have tried just washing my scalp and only conditioning the ends and I have tried only washing 1-2 times a week neither have helped. I heard about cowashing from my niece so I tried it one time and my hair ended up "crunchy" feeling near my scalp. I am at such a loss at this point. Can someone please help me?

Welcome! In regards to your scalp issues, I would honestly check with a medical professional for them to check your scalp and accurately diagnose what's going on with it. I have suffered with scalp issues for a really long time, and then it got worse when I moved to a different area, due to the water where I currently live bring hard water, and that just is something that I am still tackling. Certain products aggravate my scalp badly as well. Also, if I am out in the sun for a very long period of time, with the hot sun's rays beaming down in my head for quite a very long time, this causes itches with my scalp. Stress also can play a factor, and excess buildup on ones scalp can also cause issues too. I was originally diagnosed by my dermatologist as having scalp eczema, but it has advanced to plaque psoriasis, and right now I am being prescribed a prescription topical medicated shampoo and cream to help my scalp out and I receive in-office treatments for such as well. However, i do try to keep most of the products that I use on my hair to be all natural (outside of what my derm prescribes for me).

I definitely would rule out co-washing with a conditioner. My derm recommends shampoo to be used for washing ones hair, as that is the most effective way to get ones hair and scalp completely clean. Also, I must add, I have never had a positive experience just using conditioner to cleanse my hair, however, I have and own actual cowashes/cleansingconditioners and I find that I can't use them frequently or else my hair and scalp definitely needs clarifying, which is why, the cowashes and cleansing conditioners that I do own, i am not really into using them hardly anymore. I have currently been mainly using Maui Moisture's Shampoo and Hair Masks, which I honestly would recommend to anybody to try. Their duper affordable (under $10), and they can be found in CVS, Walgreens, Target, Walmart, and other stores as well. The line is sll vegan, however, I don't recommend using their bottled conditioners because they do contain Alcohol in them, which is a very agent to ones hair. The best high end cleanser and conditioner for my hair that I have cons across is DevaCurl's Decadence No-Poo and DevaCurl's Decadence One Condition. The only reason why I don't use these 2 products on a regular basis is because they are very expensive. And, even though they are really good products, I still feel that the price for both of them are outrageous! However none of these products mentioned by Maui Moisture and DevaCurl are able to really tackle my scalp issues the way that I need them too. However, these products aren't majorly geared towards such, so I understand that. Which is why, I recently contacted the owner of Bobeam, (her name is Laquita), and I spoke very in depth to her about my scalp issues. So, I will be switching over to using her shampoo bars, just as soon as I get my shipment from Bobeam today. She gave me very excellent advice, and she provides really wonderful customer service I might add as well. I have used shampoo bars before, but I never previously stuck with such for a long period of time, due to my trying out other new stuff, so I can't speak on their long term effects on my scalp. But, I can say, I have never experienced any bad issues with the ones that I first tried from Bobeam at all.

I don't do ACV rinses on my scalp and hair, as I don't care for the smell and also, I don't such to be a huge solution in regards to controlling my scalp issues at all. Plus, there's no concrete evidence that says that it is proven to eliminate any scalp disorders period. I also don't use baking soda on my scalp either. I began to journey towards taking a more natural, holistic approach to controlling my scalp issues, versus being a slave to medicated products that my derm wants me to be on probably for the rest of my life. Because I simply don't trust the long-term safety of such at all. I have been more pro-active in doing my research and finding ways that will better help my scalp, in a totally non-toxic way, and using styling products that don't contain harmful, chemicals in them that aren't good for my hair, period.

I live in Louisiana, one state away from you. To style my hair, I only use two products. I use Kinky-Curly's Knot Today and their Curling Custard. These products can be used by individuals with wavy, curly, or coily hair (any type of textured hair, it doesn't matter). When it comes to styling products, the product junkie within me is gone, because this is all that I rely on, and have no reason to switch to anything else anymore. I normally stick to washing my hair once a week, sometimes more if it's definitely needed. I apply the Knot Today and Curling Custard to my very soaking wet hair, in sections, and I use my Denman brush to detangle each section after I have applied both products to i'be section, then I move on to another section, and repeat. I keep a spray bottle with water inside, and use it to keep spraying my hair down with water, in order to keep my hair very wet throughout, until I have finished doing my entire head of hair. By doing this, my hair doesn't dry super crunchy, doesn't flake, I don't get any major buildup. My hair doesn't take any longer to dry using these products than normal, so I don't have any issues with the Custard taking a super long time to dry in my hair at all. In between my next hair wash, I just spray my hair down all over until it's damp, then I apply very small amounts of the Custard to my hair, wherever needed, and that's it. Kinky-Curly does have their Spiral Spritz designed to be used as a refresher, however, I have never tried it, so I can't speak on how well that works. They also have a shampoo as well as a host of other products within their line. However, I'm most partial to sticking with their Knot Today and Curling Custard. I do not diffuse my hair, as I airdry only. I have tried diffusing before, only once, and I got major shrinkage from it, it really sucked out moisture from my hair, and my curls just don't come out the way that I like them to look. So, I abandoned diffusing my hair a long time ago. Also, I have found that it is overall a much healthier option for my my hair when it comes to drying it overall. I hardly even get any split ends. I am able to retain length well, and I the shrinkage that I actually get us very minimal. Plus, I don't deal with major issues with frizz at all, which is not something that most people who live within an area that stays hot and humid almost all year round can say.

Oh, and you may want to get a shower filter, and see how that works, as well. I don't currently use a shower filter, as I actually prefer to wash my hair by the sink, and no matter the hard water that my hair is exposed to and my living in an area that has a very tropical climate, I am able to maintain having perfect looking, frizz curls, no matter the weather as well. My regimen doesn't involve a lot of steps because my neither my hair and scalp can handle such.

I certainly do hope that things do get better for you, okay! Please keep us updated!
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file