Sudden itchy scalp- what's going on? Long description.

ttoosdayttoosday Registered Users Posts: 509 Curl Connoisseur
I have been cg now for almost 3 years. I have used tons of different, mostly drugstore, cg products over my journey. I have started having alot of scalp itching only in the last month, which is a new thing for me. I've never in my life had dandruff, scalp issues, skin issues, sensitivities or anything on my head or anywhere else.

I noticed after going cg that I would get itchy scalp only when I would sweat, which I figured was water soluble products getting into my sweat and trickling down or something of the like.

I try to cowash most of the time with really common and highly popular products, every 2 to maybe 3 days depending on if it's a weekend. I use a sulfate free shampoo or hard water shampoo every 2 or 3 washes
And I bottle dye with Revlon every 3 weeks and use a sulfate shampoo during that process. I've bottle dyed for over a decade now with mainly the same product and never had an issue. I'll clarify if I need to otherwise.

I'm also seeing alot of shedding. But my hair is also growing faster than ever and is the longest it's ever been in my life, so I figured it looks like alot of shedding but I'm not used to long hair so it is probably normal.

In the past month, scalp itching has gone crazy. I blamed it on Deva Vol Foam that I got from the swap board just about the time this started, maybe I'm sensitive to an ingredient, but that's not like me to have any sensitivities. I stopped using it after a week and clarified. It was better for about a week. Itching has started again and doesn't completely go away after a cowash or clarify. None of my products have changed in the last 3 months or so except the Deva foam. And I didn't resume that product after the initial week.

Last night I was on 3rd day hair. Kinda greasy, yeah like it usually gets on 3rd night. I am needing a dye job bad, gray roots. It was the itchiest yet. Kinda driving me crazy. I started looking real close and see alot of...dandruff? I dunno I've never had dandruff nor has anyone in my family. White specks, tiny white specks. Looks kinda nit-shaped sometimes. It was all over my whole scalp. Not like thick with specks, but just distributed all over. I determine they must be lice? I dunno the white specks seem to come out kind of easy but I've never had dandruff, what the hell? My husband has nothing in his hair. He looks at my hair and says yeah there's little specks all in your hair. I freak out and go to Walmart at midnight and get Rid treatment. Strip the beds, clothes, couches, you name it. We both do a treatment and the comb out procedure. I just know I got lice from that bottle I got from the swap board. Swore off ever buying from a swap board or ebay ever again. Or maybe from the movie theater a couple of weeks ago? I dunno, kids like the Transformers movies, don't they? Well there's nothing definite on the comb out. A few white specks but... I dunno the last time I had adult lice like 12 years ago it was plain and clear, NO mistaking it on the comb out.
We do the comb out sort of bewildered not knowing what we are seeing, if it's nits or not. Dead skin? Dandruff?
Products flakes? Husband says 90% of what was in my hair was gone after the lather and rinse out of the Rid. After almost a month of sudden itchiness that never really gets relieved, no live lice on my head and maybe no nits and nothing on hubby?

This morning I'm still kinda itchy. I dunno. What the heck is going on?? Am I not mechanically removing buildup effectively lately? Am I dry? Or getting too oily? I'm so confused!
CG since 11/2014
Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
Low density, very coarse, high porosity
Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
Protein: Hask Keratin
Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel

Comments

• StephC79StephC79 Registered Users Posts: 99 Curl Connoisseur
    If you didn't see any live lice then it's probably not head lice. The eggs (or nits) are white however you would see a black speck in the white, the lice. The eggs also stick onto the hair and are very difficult to remove.
    3A with tight ringlet underlayer.
    Mixed porosity, medium texture and density.

Cleaner - Shea Moisture fruit fusion shampoo, Maui Moisture curl quench shampoo, cleansing conditioner.
    Conditioner - L'Oreal Botanicals safflower conditioner.
    P/T - Curl Junkie repair me
    D/T - Shea Moisture manuka honey or fruit fusion mask
    Styling - Paul Mitchell round trip, Paul Mitchell super sculpt glaze, Paul Mitchell sculpting foam.
  • ttoosdayttoosday Registered Users Posts: 509 Curl Connoisseur
    Ya the more I think about it the more I'm thinking it couldnt have been. It felt like it, and was really itchy in all the right places for it. But ended up just didn't see much of anything, so probably an overreaction. Still can't tell what's causing the itching tho.
    CG since 11/2014
  • StephC79StephC79 Registered Users Posts: 99 Curl Connoisseur
    It could still be the Deva foam. If it caused a reaction bad enough that continued after you stopped using it then you would still be itchy now. My daughter has bad food allergies and if she accidentally eats something containing an allergen it will set off a very bad bout of eczema which can last for weeks even though she only ate the food on one day. Of course it could be anything unfortunately.
    3A with tight ringlet underlayer.
    Mixed porosity, medium texture and density.

Cleaner - Shea Moisture fruit fusion shampoo, Maui Moisture curl quench shampoo, cleansing conditioner.
    Conditioner - L'Oreal Botanicals safflower conditioner.
    P/T - Curl Junkie repair me
    D/T - Shea Moisture manuka honey or fruit fusion mask
    Styling - Paul Mitchell round trip, Paul Mitchell super sculpt glaze, Paul Mitchell sculpting foam.
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    It sounds to me like some kind of chemical/herbal sensitivity (there are a lot of herbal extracts in Deva products, if I remember right). What StephC says makes sense: maybe the Deva bothered your scalp badly enough that your scalp is still hypersensitive and is easily irritated. Not sure what to recommend. I would try to baby your scalp as much as possible, and if it doesn't go away, I would see a dermatologist.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Definitely a possibility of some reaction. Ill see if it doesn't subside over the next couple of weeks.

Seems like it was getting worse the farther I got from a wash, so that makes me think it must have been itchy from either product buildup or oil buildup (or both), and maybe the buildup was coming off causing little specks that stick to the hair shaft.
    But it will still be itchy even after a sulfate wash.

So if it is dry scalp, then it could be bits of scalp flaking, but it certainly does not flake like what I typically imagine when i say the word flake. Its little specks, not little flakes. Like if I scratch in a spot kind of hard, there may be some specks produced kind of like what I was seeing over the weekend.

So, I purchased some conditioners that appeared to be pretty moisturizing and slippy from the ingredients to try to combat dryness. Ill try those as a leave in for awhile.

But I am confused - if it was buildup, then I want to start really rubbing during washing and breaking up that buildup. Maybe even use a lowpoo every wash instead of cowash. But if it is not build up, and it is dry scalp, then wouldn't that exacerbate the dryness by using shampoo (even lowpoo) and doing more rubbing? That makes me think that as a result I would need more moisturizing leave in, hence the purchase, but then if it is build up, won't using more moisturizing leave in cause more buildup? Argh!
    CG since 11/2014
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I wonder if you developed eczema on your scalp. I've never had it on my scalp, but I've had it elsewhere, and it seems to be irritated both by excess moisture and excess dryness. Not sure if this will help you with ideas: How to Get Rid of Eczema on the Scalp | LIVESTRONG.COM
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    If you are in the US but I would suggest taking pictures if you can and make an appointment with a dermatologist. I suggest this because if you are not an established patient you will probably wait 3 months or more for an appt as a new patient. You can always cancel the appt if it clears up in the meantime. Also, the physician atleast might be able to rule out some of the things. But allergies can start at any time. Sensitivities ( not anaphylaxis) sometimes crop up with things you are more frequently exposed to. I can eat chocolate in small doses but if I overdo it I will eventually get hives the size of eggs. I have had chocolate my whole life but one day in my 30s I started with an allergy and a few years later got the huge hives. My point is don't dismiss that it could be a new allergy. But it could be dry scalp or any number of things. I know how maddening this is and if it's dry scalp I do find a light oiling of my scalp helps. If it's build up I'm no help.
    One thing though if you are able to take a benedryl (or even 1/2) and see if that helps with the itching that might point towards a sensitivity vs something else. I hope something in here helps and I hope it clears up soon.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
    I just remembered that the other thing that gives me relief is Scalpicin. I actually kept an empty bottle and added witch hazel (which is the main ingred.) That's been working ok for me now. Either way it can help for a few hours. If I get hot and my scalp gets even a little heated I will need to reapply every 1/2 hour or so until I cool off.
    SE PA
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Thanks for the suggestions! Its possible an allergy has popped up. I wonder if it is a prolonged reaction to something in the Deva Foam. I threw that out and won't attempt a Deva product again.

I'll continue to watch and see if it improves.
    I like the idea of the Scalpicin, I will consider that. And a benedryl is good idea.

Today I cowashed with As I Am, used a new (to me) RO conditioner, the Loreal Extraordinary Clay Rebalancing conditioner, and used a new LI, the Loreal EverPure Moisture Conditioner. I havent had a big problem with itchiness so far, and its noon. So, maybe that is a good sign.
    CG since 11/2014
    Got my fingers crossed for you.
    SE PA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file