Advice on trimming my own hair

Hey all,

It has been 2 months since I got my curly hair cut and nearly 3 months since I stopped using flat irons (after about 13 years of at least weekly but often daily straightening).

It wasn't a true big chop, there are still parts of my hair that start with a curl but are light waves at the end due to heat damage. I would like to gradually trim my own hair every couple of months so that I eventually get some consistency. I will go back to the stylist towards the end of the year.

I'm getting a bit overwhelmed by the YouTube tutorials I've seen so far - with lots of different methods being shown. Can you please advise on the best way for me to trim my own hair? I'm scared of making a mistake.

The best representation i have of my hair is immediately after my haircut. She did some finger-twirling and used a diffuser whereas I just lightly scrunch and air-dry so my curl tends to be slightly looser FYI.
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Thanks in advance x
2c/3a, fine-medium strands, high density, normal-high porosity.

Comments

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,357 Curl Connoisseur
    i love the cut she gave you. i do even once in a while dust a curl here or there, but i would not do an entire head. i know i cannot retain the shape.

the cut is so good that in my opinion i'd go back to her, even if you want to stretch it to 3 months to save money. and tell her that you want only a trim or dusting to retain the shape while the damage grows out. (honestly, in that picture i cannot see any damage, so her cut and style was great).

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file