A few hair care questions

MakaMaka Registered Users Posts: 8
I'm new here and I have a few questions about taking good care of my hair :) (Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum btw)

I've been natural for about two months now, but I've been seeing a problem with growth and moisturizing.

I've watched videos on hair care, and they've said to
1.) Moisturize
2.) Leave it alone.

So I've been doing just that. For moisturizing, I spray with water, then add an olive/coconut oil product. The thing is, my hair dries really quickly and I don't know what to do with it.

My questions are:
1.) How often should I moisturize my hair and does that conflict with "low manipulation?" I know I should keep my hair moisturized all the time but I also know I shouldn't be constantly touching it. Should I moisturize everyday or will that slow down the growth process?

2.) How often should I wash my hair? As of now I do it twice a month.

3.) How should I deal with an itchy scalp? I'm constantly scratching my head because it's irritated and it's breaking off my hair.

4) Can you have successful hair growth without products? As of now, the only products I use is Suave shampoo, Hawaiian silky, and the olive/coconut oil grease. My mom doesn't want my hair to grow, so she refuses to buy me products to take care of my hair.

5.) Does using a product for a different hair type ruin your hair? As mentioned above, I use my mom's Hawaiian Silky. She has, let's say, 3a hair, and mine is in the 4's. Would using this product break off my hair? As far as I've seen it's helped with keeping my hair moisturized and a little bit of growth.

6.) Lastly, what are the odds of growing waist length hair in 1 year? I saw a YouTube channel called AfroShe where the woman's daughter has the most beautiful tailbone length hair. It all happened in a year after using the special ingredients from the AfroShe line. I was thinking of asking my sister to buy me a small combo form the site for the holidays. Do you think that kind of growth is possible in such a short amount of time?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm really determined to get back on track with my hair. I appreciate any responses and thank you in advance! xox :angel8:

Comments

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    I don't think keeping your hair moisturized will conflict with low manipulation.

But you may want to wash more than twice a month, that may be contributing to your itch scalp. Search on this site for how to deal with an itch scalp, I have never had to deal with it, so I can't offer you any advice about it.

You hair can and will grow without "growth products" you need to maintain your moisture/protein balance for you hair to grow and not break. I don't think using a 3 product on 4 hair will make much of a difference. There are many 2's that use 3 products etc. But check the ingredients it may be no better than the Suave you use. You might also want to look into co washing. Many people use V05 conditioners for that which is usually very inexpensive.

Unless you hair is about an inch above your waist right now DO NOT count on a product to grow your hair that long in a year. I can make my hair appear an inch longer from the back just by tilting my head back. Just maintain a healthy diet and good hair care to grow your hair.

Good Luck on your healthy hair journey.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • MakaMaka Registered Users Posts: 8
    Thank you so much! I appreciate your response!
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    Welcome!!

if looking at ingredients list for products, make sure avoid any with silicones( these end in one or xane suffix ) and mineral oil, or parafin/petrolatum type things.
    all 3 of those ingredients block moisture & protein balance & can cause other hair growth problems
    because they leave a chemical residue on strands length & in where each strand starts growing from,
  • WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    Hi and welcome.
    As far as growth goes...I don't know your starting length (and there are many ways to measure and I dont think it matters what way you measure as long as you use the same way each time) but most hair grows an average of 1/2 inch per month. Most people's hair grows faster in the summer but average over the year is 6 inches without any trims. Keep this in mind with your goal of tailbone length.
    As others have said hair growth starts with a clean scalp. Clogged hair follicles with impede growth. Hope this helps. Good luck and happy growing.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • ReservechicReservechic Registered Users Posts: 798
    Maka wrote: »
    I'm new here and I have a few questions about taking good care of my hair :) (Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum btw)

I've been natural for about two months now, but I've been seeing a problem with growth and moisturizing.

1.) Moisturize
    2.) Leave it alone.

So I've been doing just that. For moisturizing, I spray with water, then add an olive/coconut oil product. The thing is, my hair dries really quickly and I don't know what to do with it.

My questions are:
    1.) How often should I moisturize my hair and does that conflict with "low manipulation?" I know I should keep my hair moisturized all the time but I also know I shouldn't be constantly touching it. Should I moisturize everyday or will that slow down the growth process?

There's no one-size fits all regimen when it comes to taking care of natural hair. No two heads of hair are alike, therefore what works for someone's hair, is what works for them. Don't try to mirror your regimen like anyone else. Try and see what your hair likes, and build your own hair regimen around such. If your hair responds best to being washed once a week then go with that. If your hair responds best to being washed more than once a week, then definitely go with that instead.

Now, water alone is not a moisturizer. All it does is wet ones hair and it make it more pliable to work with. If your hair is very dry, you can use a moisturizing leave in+detangler first in your hair after washing and conditioning it, and then use a moisturizing styling cream on top yo style your hair with. In between, hair wash days you can use either your moisturizing leave in to refresh your hair or a bit of your moisturizing styling cream instead. You don't kneed to use a lot of products on your head, as all that will do is lead to excessive buildup on your hair and scalp.

Some curlies find that gel works best for their hair. Depending upon the level of hold and frizz protection you desire, you may want to try using gel in your hair as your main styler, and if needed, use a moisturizing leave in/detangler underneath your styling gel, to help offset any crunch or dryness that gels have the ability to give off. The only gels that are highly moisturizing and that leave ones curls with a soft hold are activator gels. The only issue is that you have to be very careful about how much you apply of such in your hair, because with daily use they can cause ones hair to start feeling on the sticky side. Because activator gels contain a very high level of glycerin, no leave in really isn't needed for use underneath such in the hair at all (only unless someone's hair is as super dry as a tumbleweed).

When it comes to your haircare regimen, you have the option of going the Curly Girl route or not. As, I am not someone who is strict on the CG route, and it being promoted as being the best method for taking care of textured hair. Whether you choose to go the Curly Girl route and stay with it, or not even go that route at all, is totally dependent upon what you find your individually tolerates and does not. The CG route works for some curlies, but definitely not all.

That is totally up to what your hair and scalp can tolerate, along with how much product buildup happens to accumulate on your hair and scalp. As, you may need to possibly wash your hair more than twice a month. Definitely experiment with such, and see what ends up working best.

3.) How should I deal with an itchy scalp?

I'm constantly scratching my head because it's irritated and it's breaking off my hair. I am going to tell you, when it comes to scalp issues, without one actually seeing your scalp in person, that is something that can't be 100% accurately diagnosed via a hair board. I suffered with very bad scalp itch and other issues with my scalp fir years, and I eventually saw a medical professional (a dermatologist) for it. I was diagnosed as having scalp eczema. There are different scalp conditions that a person can suffer from, so the best person to tell you about what's really going on with your scalp and to give you a proper diagnosis and course of treatment is a medical professional.

4) Can you have successful hair growth without products?

Without using anything on your hair to style or tame it with, and expecting it to remain healthy and grow to terminal lengths, is the equivalent of taking a tomato seeds and putting them in soil and then never using any water on anything on it, to feed it with the necessities that it needs to flourish. For most human beings with hair, As of now, the only products I use is Suave shampoo , Hawaiian silky, and the olive/coconut oil grease. My mom doesn't want my hair to grow, so she refuses to buy me products to take care of my hair.

I am not sure as to why your mom wants to keep your hair from growing long. The secret to having long hair often lies with length retention. Many peoples hair is growing, it's just that their not retaining length to their hair, and that can be due to a number of reason, but in order to conquer such issue, you must first understand exactly what you're doing that is working against your gaining length retention to your hair, and stop performing such action. The Suave Shampoo is drying to your hair, right? As, I honestly believe that you definitely need to switch up what you are presently using to wash your hair with. Which Hawaiian Silky product are you exactly using? As, the line offers a variety of products. And, when it comes to hair grease, I stand neutral on the use of that. For some people, they swear by it and plan to be die-hard users of it for life, but for others, it is not the best choice for their hair and/or scalp at all. When I was growing up, my mother used grease on my hair and scalp because she didn't know of what else to use. She took advice from others, on how to deal with ethnic hair and went along with it. I can say, that hair grease has never broken off my hair. Other hair products have, but never hair grease. But, it does build up on the scalp and leave a coating on ones scalp and hair, as well as it having the ability to make ones hair and scalp greasy or quite oily. Now, now that I am older, I don't use grease at all on my hair or scalp, and never will ever let it touch my head ever again. Because it will definitely cause issues with my scalp eczema to flareup, plus, I don't like having oily or greasy hair to the touch, which I have experienced with hair greases period.

5.) Does using a product for a different hair type ruin your hair? As mentioned above, I use my mom's Hawaiian Silky. She has, let's say, 3a hair, and mine is in the 4's. Would using this product break off my hair? As far as I've seen it's helped with keeping my hair moisturized and a little bit of growth.

Products aren't made according to Andre Walker's made up hair typing system. So, any company that provides such on their products labeling is providing misleading info. Of which haircare companies can do to a certain extent, without the FDA coming after the, for it. I used to work for a major haircare company, and I definitely know all of the trucks of the trade that they use to bring in as much money as they possibly can towards their brands.

I don't hairtype, as I just use what I find works best for my hair through trial and error and stick with it. As, long as you don't experience breakage with a product, and it's not causing any other issues, then I see no reason to stop use of it at all. That's the best advice I can give to anyone, no matter what type of natural hair they have-whether it's straight, wavy, curly, or coily.

6.) Lastly, what are the odds of growing waist length hair in 1 year? I saw a YouTube channel called AfroShe where the woman's daughter has the most beautiful tailbone length hair. It all happened in a year after using the special ingredients from the AfroShe line. I was thinking of asking my sister to buy me a small combo form the site for the holidays. Do you think that kind of growth is possible in such a short amount of time?

Everyone's hair doesn't grow at the same rate. So, I would recommend using products and a regimen that through trial and error works best for your hair and sticking to that, trimming your ends when they are needed only, deep conditioning your hair either 2x a month or more, and just being consistent with your regimen and not constantly hopping from one product to another, (which many curlies find themselves doing along their hair journey, which often has led to many of us being product junkies at one point or another in our lives) will definitely yield the best results. Just let your hair naturally do it's thing and don't over worry yourself about achieving super fast hair growth. In time, you will start seeing more length to your hair, as it definitely takes patience that's for sure. And, when it comes to detangling your hair, using your fingers, a wide tooth comb, or a brush can be used. Whatever you choose should be what you feel is most effective towards thoroughly detangling your hair.

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm really determined to get back on track with my hair. I appreciate any responses and thank you in advance! xox :angel8:

Hope all of this info helps! :thumright:
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • MakaMaka Registered Users Posts: 8
    Maka wrote: »

1.) Moisturize
    2.) Leave it alone.

My questions are:

There's no one-size fits all regimen when it comes to taking care of natural hair. No two heads of hair are alike, therefore what works for someone's hair, is what works for them. Don't try to mirror your regimen like anyone else. Try and see what your hair likes, and build your own hair regimen around such. If your hair responds best to being washed once a week then go with that. If your hair responds best to being washed more than once a week, then definitely go with that instead.

Now, water alone is not a moisturizer. All it does is wet ones hair and it make it more pliable to work with. If your hair is very dry, you can use a moisturizing leave in+detangler first in your hair after washing and conditioning it, and then use a moisturizing styling cream on top yo style your hair with. In between, hair wash days you can use either your moisturizing leave in to refresh your hair or a bit of your moisturizing styling cream instead. You don't kneed to use a lot of products on your head, as all that will do is lead to excessive buildup on your hair and scalp.

Some curlies find that gel works best for their hair. Depending upon the level of hold and frizz protection you desire, you may want to try using gel in your hair as your main styler, and if needed, use a moisturizing leave in/detangler underneath your styling gel, to help offset any crunch or dryness that gels have the ability to give off. The only gels that are highly moisturizing and that leave ones curls with a soft hold are activator gels. The only issue is that you have to be very careful about how much you apply of such in your hair, because with daily use they can cause ones hair to start feeling on the sticky side. Because activator gels contain a very high level of glycerin, no leave in really isn't needed for use underneath such in the hair at all (only unless someone's hair is as super dry as a tumbleweed).

When it comes to your haircare regimen, you have the option of going the Curly Girl route or not. As, I am not someone who is strict on the CG route, and it being promoted as being the best method for taking care of textured hair. Whether you choose to go the Curly Girl route and stay with it, or not even go that route at all, is totally dependent upon what you find your individually tolerates and does not. The CG route works for some curlies, but definitely not all.

That is totally up to what your hair and scalp can tolerate, along with how much product buildup happens to accumulate on your hair and scalp. As, you may need to possibly wash your hair more than twice a month. Definitely experiment with such, and see what ends up working best.

3.) How should I deal with an itchy scalp?

I'm constantly scratching my head because it's irritated and it's breaking off my hair. I am going to tell you, when it comes to scalp issues, without one actually seeing your scalp in person, that is something that can't be 100% accurately diagnosed via a hair board. I suffered with very bad scalp itch and other issues with my scalp fir years, and I eventually saw a medical professional (a dermatologist) for it. I was diagnosed as having scalp eczema. There are different scalp conditions that a person can suffer from, so the best person to tell you about what's really going on with your scalp and to give you a proper diagnosis and course of treatment is a medical professional.

4) Can you have successful hair growth without products?

Without using anything on your hair to style or tame it with, and expecting it to remain healthy and grow to terminal lengths, is the equivalent of taking a tomato seeds and putting them in soil and then never using any water on anything on it, to feed it with the necessities that it needs to flourish. For most human beings with hair, As of now, the only products I use is Suave shampoo , Hawaiian silky, and the olive/coconut oil grease. My mom doesn't want my hair to grow, so she refuses to buy me products to take care of my hair.

I am not sure as to why your mom wants to keep your hair from growing long. The secret to having long hair often lies with length retention. Many peoples hair is growing, it's just that their not retaining length to their hair, and that can be due to a number of reason, but in order to conquer such issue, you must first understand exactly what you're doing that is working against your gaining length retention to your hair, and stop performing such action. The Suave Shampoo is drying to your hair, right? As, I honestly believe that you definitely need to switch up what you are presently using to wash your hair with. Which Hawaiian Silky product are you exactly using? As, the line offers a variety of products. And, when it comes to hair grease, I stand neutral on the use of that. For some people, they swear by it and plan to be die-hard users of it for life, but for others, it is not the best choice for their hair and/or scalp at all. When I was growing up, my mother used grease on my hair and scalp because she didn't know of what else to use. She took advice from others, on how to deal with ethnic hair and went along with it. I can say, that hair grease has never broken off my hair. Other hair products have, but never hair grease. But, it does build up on the scalp and leave a coating on ones scalp and hair, as well as it having the ability to make ones hair and scalp greasy or quite oily. Now, now that I am older, I don't use grease at all on my hair or scalp, and never will ever let it touch my head ever again. Because it will definitely cause issues with my scalp eczema to flareup, plus, I don't like having oily or greasy hair to the touch, which I have experienced with hair greases period.

Products aren't made according to Andre Walker's made up hair typing system. So, any company that provides such on their products labeling is providing misleading info. Of which haircare companies can do to a certain extent, without the FDA coming after the, for it. I used to work for a major haircare company, and I definitely know all of the trucks of the trade that they use to bring in as much money as they possibly can towards their brands.

I don't hairtype, as I just use what I find works best for my hair through trial and error and stick with it. As, long as you don't experience breakage with a product, and it's not causing any other issues, then I see no reason to stop use of it at all. That's the best advice I can give to anyone, no matter what type of natural hair they have-whether it's straight, wavy, curly, or coily.

Everyone's hair doesn't grow at the same rate. So, I would recommend using products and a regimen that through trial and error works best for your hair and sticking to that, trimming your ends when they are needed only, deep conditioning your hair either 2x a month or more, and just being consistent with your regimen and not constantly hopping from one product to another, (which many curlies find themselves doing along their hair journey, which often has led to many of us being product junkies at one point or another in our lives) will definitely yield the best results. Just let your hair naturally do it's thing and don't over worry yourself about achieving super fast hair growth. In time, you will start seeing more length to your hair, as it definitely takes patience that's for sure. And, when it comes to detangling your hair, using your fingers, a wide tooth comb, or a brush can be used. Whatever you choose should be what you feel is most effective towards thoroughly detangling your hair.

Hope all of this info helps! :thumright:

Ah thank you so very much for your response! You really answered all of my questions! I appreciate it :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file