Please HELP: Insane breakage - protein overload?

tamiitamii Registered Users Posts: 4
So some time around end of May, I went for a keratin treatment (Pravana Fusion Texture Control). About a month after that I noticed that I had crazy breakage half an inch from my roots. A few weeks after that the same breakage started happening at the nape of my neck.

Here are the links to pictures for reference:
My breakage at the top of my head
My breakage at nape of my neck (right side has more breakage than left)

During May-June (roughly one month, before I understood what protein overload was) I was using these products and washing my hair once-two times a week:
  1. HASK Keratin shampoo + conditioner
  2. CHI Keratin Leave-In
  3. CHI Keratin Silk Infusion
  4. L'Oreal® Paris Advanced Hairstyle Sleek It Iron Straight Heatspray
  5. Heat on 370 Once-two times a week

After looking around and reading, I was convinced that I must have protein overload. So for three-ish weeks my regimen has been:
  • Shampoo and condition with Garnier's Whole Blend Avacado Oil and Shea Butter
  • DC for 30 minutes with Neutrogena's Triple Moisture mask
  • L'Oreal® Paris Advanced Hairstyle Sleek It Iron Straight Heatspray
  • Heat on 350 Once-two times a week

My hair got incredibly soft after the very day of this regimen. However, I recently discovered split ends near the roots of my hair (similar to the breakage in the photos). Am I still suffering from protein overload? Does protein overload cause split ends in very weird places? The rest of the hair seemed really healthy.

Also I've been noticing that my hair still snaps quite a bit. Like I would tug it and it would snap, but if I pulled it slowly then it would stretch a little bit before snapping.

Am I now moisture overloaded?

Or am I still protein overloaded? Is there protein in my ingredients?

I'm just so upset now because I'm noticing similar breakage along my side-parting and I don't need anymore noticeable breakage!!

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair could have both protein and moisture overload. Proteins can add structure to the hair, but they can also moisturize, by preventing moisture from leaving the hair shaft. When I get protein overload, my hair will actually get overly stretchy for a while. It can be somewhat impervious to water, but once water gets in, it doesn't want to let go of it. So you can have both too much moisture and too much protein at the same time. I would continue with a protein-free regimen for a couple of weeks; that's about how long it takes for me to see improvement when I have excess protein.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    It could be from the non keratin part of the treatment. The keratin is designed to help repair your hair from the damage. But damage is damage and that's one possibility for the breakage. But it also could be protein overload, as that could cause those type of snapping symptoms. So yes, agree with Therese's suggestion to try being without protein for a bit to see if that helps improve things.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • tamiitamii Registered Users Posts: 4
    It's unfortunate because my hair dresser assuredly me this was the most gentlest option for me to straighten my hair (it had no formehldye or thio).

If anything, my hair was super brittle before the keratin treatment from a lack of moisture. Could it be possible that the keratin dried out my hair by preventing moisture from going through, and caused splitting? Regardless, I can't help but think this treatment is the cause of all this breakage, especially since my hair is both breaking and splitting at the same length/place. Literally looks like I've hacked my hair off.

I'll continue holding off the protein. I just did a quick stand test and it seems like (most) of my hair is now balanced. I can't stretch it all the way, but it stretches and it stopped snapping off. Time to just deal with the split ends I suppose.
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    Glad it's balanced now. The only way to get rid of split ends is to trim, but to prevent new split ends, catnip tea helps. But it's strengthening so don't overdo!

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • CaliShayCaliShay Registered Users Posts: 1
    same here and I have NO idea how to fix it. I hate my hair now. I have been really upset. it too me so long to get my hair healthy and a stylist put the treatment on my hair without even asking me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file