CurlTalk

God I suck at doing my hair

Tried to braid it and I just can't. It sucks because we are going to a water park and I wanted it up. I really want to learn how to braid my own hair (specifically French braid so that it is up and back at the same time). I may have to start by putting it in an elastic then braiding it, as much as I don't want to. I'm sure it doesn't help that my hair is only shoulder length, not much to braid.

This is mostly just a vent, I've read several how-to's and watched quite a few YouTube videos, I just can't figure it out. I really just need to keep trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,257Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Keeyamah wrote: »
    Tried to braid it and I just can't. It sucks because we are going to a water park and I wanted it up. I really want to learn how to braid my own hair (specifically French braid so that it is up and back at the same time). I may have to start by putting it in an elastic then braiding it, as much as I don't want to. I'm sure it doesn't help that my hair is only shoulder length, not much to braid.

This is mostly just a vent, I've read several how-to's and watched quite a few YouTube videos, I just can't figure it out. I really just need to keep trying.

You might try a Dutch braid. It's like an inside out French braid and if hair is layered, it helps incorporate and contain the various layers. I can't do a good French braid, but I can get a decent looking Dutch braid without much trouble (and I'm not great updos).

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 20Registered Users
    [/QUOTE]
    You might try a Dutch braid. It's like an inside out French braid and if hair is layered, it helps incorporate and contain the various layers. I can't do a good French braid, but I can get a decent looking Dutch braid without much trouble (and I'm not great updos).

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just need to practice any kind of braids, my fingers trip over each other, but I will try a Dutch next time and see if it's any easier. I don't usually have any trouble braiding someone else's hair, it's my own I can't figure out 😐. And of course, I have two boys who prefer their hair short, just in the classic little boy cut.

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 192Registered Users Curl Novice
    I can't do a french or dutch braid either, so I fake it.

I grab a bunch of hair like I am going to french braid and stick it in a pony holder. Then a bit further down I take the hair that it is the pony holder and add more hair from the sides, then put that in a second pony holder. I continue until I hit the nape of my neck.

It is my go to water park hair style.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, Sunflower Oil Pre-poo
    Styling: Living Proof Curl Defining Styling Cream and/or Living Proof Curl Enhancing Styling Mousse
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 20Registered Users
    I can't do a french or dutch braid either, so I fake it.

I grab a bunch of hair like I am going to french braid and stick it in a pony holder. Then a bit further down I take the hair that it is the pony holder and add more hair from the sides, then put that in a second pony holder. I continue until I hit the nape of my neck.

It is my go to water park hair style.

That I probably could have managed yesterday, didn't think of it though.

I want to learn to braid because my work requires hair longer than shoulder length to be pulled back in a ponytail, bun, or braid and I like how French or Dutch braids put it back and up a little as well.

I just need to keep practicing.

• WonderfullyKamWonderfullyKam Posts: 30Registered Users
    It's very frustrating!

Have you tried practicing with the hair along the front of your head? That's how I learned - somehow it seemed easier there and once I got the hang of it I could translate it to my whole head.

I'm still not great at braiding but can make my hair presentable in that style (at least with straight hair, I haven't tried it since I started wearing my hair curly but I imagine it's easier).
    2c/3a, fine-medium strands, high density, normal-high porosity.