This changed the game for me

PumpkinbreathPumpkinbreath Registered Users Posts: 21 Curl Neophyte
Okay so I just want to give some background on my hair before I started doing this.

My 4a hair was dry all the time, no matter how much or how i moisturized or what I moisturized with.. super dry. The only time my hair felt hydrated was wash day.
My hair tangled like no tomorrow.. like I could be in the middle of detangling, sneeze, then have to start all over.
My curls were.. sad. Nothing defined them, and unless i had 5 pounds of products on my hair it would just be a frizzy mess.

I figured, since my hair feels best if i moisturize soaking wet hair, might as well just do it in the shower. Now, idk if I would still call this co-washing, because I am not rubbing conditioner into my scalp. Im just saturating my hair with water. Slap my favorite conditioner on (sometimes lightly finger detangle), continue with my shower routine, then rinse at the end and apply a bit of leave in. I've been doing this everyday and this is what i have noticed:
My hair is actually soft, and still looks good after it dries.
My curls are actually curling! Even my bleached damaged half is starting to curl up instead of just being limp and straight!
My hair isn't the sahara in the morning
My hair is SHINY
My hair no longer gets extremely tangled and the frizz is way down(i dont even use gel anymore)
Did i mention my hair is soft?
There was breakage in the beginning, but over time this has disappeared (im actually noticing an insane decrease in hairs going down my drain)
Also my hair smells nice all the time!

I was really scared about doing this, because we've been led to believe that completely wetting our hair is bad. I stopped listening to most stuff the moment they started telling us "if you get breakage from combing your hair.. just stop combing your hair forever." No! Find out why you're getting breakage and fix it. Ths solution is not to just throw away your combs. I guess my point is I thought it would be too much manipulation, but my hair is so much healthier now it's crazy.

If nothing is working for you, i suggest you try this for a week and see what you think!

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Yay for techniques that work!

Just to be sure I understand correctly...you're basically talking about refreshing your hair after wash day, and you're doing it in the shower, by wetting it completely and using leave-in. Is that right?

I think that there is something to be said for going too long between washes. The hair loses so much moisture that it can't get "caught up" in just a single wash day. Maybe you will find after doing this every day for a while that you can skip a day now and then because your hair will be more moisturized overall.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Glad you found something that works for you! :)
    I was really scared about doing this, because we've been led to believe that completely wetting our hair is bad. I stopped listening to most stuff the moment they started telling us "if you get breakage from combing your hair.. just stop combing your hair forever." No! Find out why you're getting breakage and fix it. Ths solution is not to just throw away your combs. I guess my point is I thought it would be too much manipulation, but my hair is so much healthier now it's crazy.

If nothing is working for you, i suggest you try this for a week and see what you think!
    I'm not a Type 4, so some hair issues are different, but I shampoo/condition my hair everyday and it gives me the best hair. Like Therese said, if I miss a day (because I'm in a hurry or something) it take a day to recover. Do you have fine hair? I read on the Sciency Hair Blog that fine hair can handle daily washing because it doesn't swell like medium/coarse hair...because there is less hair to absorb water (she says it way better than that though. ;).)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • PumpkinbreathPumpkinbreath Registered Users Posts: 21 Curl Neophyte
    I am wetting it in the shower, appying a rinse out conditioner, and then putting the leave-in after i get out.

I agree, I believe that if too much time goes between wash days, it's hard for your hair to "catch up"..even with deep conditioning.
  • PumpkinbreathPumpkinbreath Registered Users Posts: 21 Curl Neophyte
    bomega wrote: »
    Glad you found something that works for you! :)

I'm not a Type 4, so some hair issues are different, but I shampoo/condition my hair everyday and it gives me the best hair. Like Therese said, if I miss a day (because I'm in a hurry or something) it take a day to recover. Do you have fine hair? I read on the Sciency Hair Blog that fine hair can handle daily washing because it doesn't swell like medium/coarse hair...because there is less hair to absorb water (she says it way better than that though. ;).)

Oh wow I didn't know that about fine hair! That's kind of awesome because yes my hair is fine.I guess not everyone can follow "the rules" Haha!
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I didn't know that about fine hair either, but it makes sense. I think too that since there is not much substance to fine hair, it gets dehydrated much more quickly than coarser hair, hence the need to rewet more frequently,
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file