I can't get my hair to clump. Fine texture, high density, 2c. Product recs?

Nothing seems to be clumping me. Even really hard hold gels. I'm growing out layers and this is my problem area. The layers are just a bunch of puff with minor clumping thrown in.

My hair can look 3a or even 3b when styled right

Any hair twins out there?
3a/3b
Baby fine, high density, high porosity.
Weak curl pattern, lover of strong hold products and protein.
Big chop of old color May 2016 - all virgin, no heat.

Comments

• RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
    I'm a coarse 2c, but the only way I can get clumps is by applying gel to *soaking* wet hair and dripping all over myself for more than half the day. The weight of the wet hair also pulls out a lot of the curl and forget having body. I've chosen to go more messy (windswept, right?!) instead. :)
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • la_ninonla_ninon Registered Users Posts: 118 Curl Neophyte
    I have similar-ish hair (fine 2C/3A, weak curl pattern) and am struggling with this too (I'm also trying to overcome some misguided layers as well as low dew points). Today I got it to clump by squishing to condish and then adding loads of cool water with my leave-in. I then scrunched in L'Oreal Out of Bed Texturizing Paste, plopped for five minutes or so, and scrunched in a bit of gel in before diffusing. I ended up with mostly 3A curls which was great, but they fell a bit after a few hours (Bumble & Bumble's Bb. Gel doesn't have enough hold for me). I added a bit more LOOB and they perked up again, albeit with some crispiness. I'm not sure if this is helpful, but know that you're not alone!

ETA: Rafterbat, what do you use for hold? It's so tough finding a decent gel without protein.
    Lo Poo: MOP Hydrating Shampoo
    Leave-Ins: CJ Beauticurls, Briogeo Rosarco Spray
    Rinse-Outs: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine
    Stylers: L'Oreal Out of Bed Texturizer, Bumble & Bumble Bb. Gel, Yarok Hair Whip, Davines Volu Spray
    Treatments: ACV rinse, CJ Curl Rehab, caffeine solution spray

2C-3A, fine, low-medium porosity, low-medium density, sensitive scalp, protein-sensitive
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    I think you may need...a trim. I know it is hard when you are trying to grow out layers. But when my hair is overdue for a trim it acts the same way

Have you tried flax seed gel? I understand that is good for clumping. So you would need both gels, one for clumps the other for the hold.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
    la_ninon wrote: »
    Rafterbat, what do you use for hold? It's so tough finding a decent gel without protein.

I've been using Curl Junkie's Pattern Pusha for almost 2 months now and love the way it boosts my curls - especially on day 2. I air dry on day 1 for great hold without crunch, and don't have to do anything the next morning except take out the pineapple and shake my head. :thumright:
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • WonderfullyKamWonderfullyKam Registered Users Posts: 30
    This is something I've been trying recently:
    Like RafterBat, what works for me is applying products (leave in, almond oil then gel) to soaking wet hair (don't squeeze any of the water out). I keep my head over the bathtub and smooth the products downwards.

Excessive scrunching has been my downfall. So now I only scrunch when applying the gel rather than with the application of each product. Minimal scrunching and very gentle handling allows my hair to clump. Then I scrunch a little bit with a t shirt (again, be gentle). Then plop twice - 5-10 mins per plop on either side of a different t shirt to the one used for the scrunching. These steps with the t shirts mean my hair will be at least 80-90% dry by the time I'm ready to go to bed a few hours later. Then I pineapple with the gel cast still in my hair and in the morning I'm skipping very happily through the streets of Clumpland.
    2c/3a, fine-medium strands, high density, normal-high porosity.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file