Unhappy after a level 1 "devacut", do i love a bad review?

LoveMyWavesLoveMyWaves Posts: 2Registered Users
I have been doing CG for about 2 years and finally love ny hair. A year and half ago, I got my first devacut from a level 3 stylist. It was the best haircut of my life. My hair was awesome. Fast forward, I desperately needed another haircut and found the my first stylist raised her proces dramatically ( $60 to like $90 ) and there was a new listing for a stylist 10 min away and a good amount less, but only a level 1 and no reviews.

In talking to her, i found out that she has been certified for 8 years but moved from another state. We had a consult and i wanted to cut about 3" off from midway down my back to collarbone for summer. She started cutting it (dry) and i quickly recognized that it looked just like the traditional cuts i have had, not the each curl at a time cut i got last year. I had hope it would be ok.. and it wasnt. She cut it with layers too short on the top and once cleaned and conditioned, it looked like a shag cut. The top curled, bottom didn't and looked like 4" hanging down. So she took another 1.5" or more off to fix it and i had to trim a a little at home... and i have a wedding to be in early August.

I am so upset, i could cry. it isn't curling well... because it wasn't cut curl by curl. It is way shorter than i wanted.. she has no reviews on the devacurl page and she and i discussed this right off the bat. I feel bad leaving a bad review. The cut is okay, but not a devacut. I could've just gone to any standard $25 salon for a cut like this instead of the $65 i paid.. if going back could fix something, I would but it really wouldn't.. sigh. The cheap comes out expensive. I should've bit the bullet, driven 45 min and paid $90.

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Whether to post a review is a personal decision. But I want to say I think that the cut you got might be a type of Devacut, possibly for wavies. I've only gotten one Devachan cut, and it looked like what yours sounds like. She also didn't cut curl-by-curl. I think the point of it is that it looks good if you style with their products and styling technique, because I looked great walking out of the salon, but since I don't normally use styling products (and certainly not with Devacurl products) ever since then I've had what I think might be the Deva-mullet (I read this term here on nc.com. ;)).

As a side note, my regular hair dresser is not a Devacurl stylist but she cuts hair dry (not just curly hair - all hair). She also doesn't use a curl-by-curl technique, but I always look spectacular when she cuts my hair. Everything is blended and balanced, and the style grows out perfectly. I moved 250 miles away, and I still go get my haircut with her, because every time I try to go somewhere else, I regret it.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm sorry to hear of your experience. I recently had a bad haircut too, and it sounds similar. I had the shelf layers with the bottom hair just hanging, and I went back in to have her cut off the hanging hair (about 1.5"). However, my stylist is not a Deva styilst and does not consider herself a curly-hair professional.

I wouldn't feel bad about leaving a bad review. You're just being honest. You've clearly had a Devacut before, and it sounds like this was nothing like it. People who are considering this salon will want to know your experience.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • LoveMyWavesLoveMyWaves Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thank you both for the replies. If i hadnt had a devacut before, i might believe this is how it goes but the level 3 stylist didnt cut my much less curly hair that way. I did not love how i looked when i left and adored it before. In fact, she did it in a way that produced LESS curls than i had coming in or can get now... maybe it is bc she only has level 1 techniques? It was very mulletish and now my hair is sooo much shorter than i wanted and i wear it up. So disappointing.
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I think there is more to a haircut than techniques, although Deva really sells it. Deva isn't even though only drycutting hair salon technique, although it is currently very popular. (15 years ago, Ouidad was the thing. There is a NC.com who openly favors Ouidad even today, and every time I look at her photos, her style looks dated to me.)

With any haircut (or any appearance related treatment for that matter), there is also a matter of aesthetic. So, when I look back at my haircut, I see it as more it wasn't my aesthetic to have my curls that top heavy, but my hairdresser had that aestheic (and possible yours did too.) Deva is also really into their products, where as I need a haircut that looks good with no products, and while I told this to my hair dresser, I don't think they are taught to cut hair like that, and I think she liked this Deva fashion, so she did what she was taught (a combination of a problem with technique and aesthetic). In my case, 4 months and 1.5-2 inches later, my haircut actually looks better, so I think I may have gotten a good hair cut that I dislike. (The bad haircuts I've gotten in the past just looked bad until I got a new cut.)

There is a well-known hairdresser in Portland who is active on Instagram and regularly posts her haircuts. She is very into the Deva system and products. She is certain she has THE WAY. But to me, all her long hair photos look the same. Not bad...they actually look great - just the same. But I guess that's her aesthetic. I was thinking about seeing her but then I decided against it right now because I don't care how many levels of techniques she has...if she can't make me look good on me my way because she insists on her system and her way, I don't care. I need my hair to look good on my every day not just on her Instagram after a cut. Right now, I'm in the middle of job interviews and after two mediocre hair cuts in a row, I just want a nice haircut.

In your case though, I think if you want to post a negative review, if you are fair and honest in your review you shouldn't feel bad about it.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • SilverShilohSilverShiloh Posts: 9Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    As others have said I would be honest. I get what you are saying because I don't like to leave a bad review either. I live in a small town and a bad review goes a long way. I might put it as a 3 and comment that we just didn't jive and hopefully the stylist is perfect for others. As an aside I don't think $90 is too much for a deva cut. I only get 2 hair cuts x year so that is $180 for all hair cuts for the year. Before I switched to a deva curl trained stylist I was paying between $25 and $30 every other month ($150 - $180) and the products I purchased were far more expensive than deva curl products. On top of that she was never ready on time and I had to wait. My deva cut professional is always either waiting for me or I have to wait at the most 5-10 minutes for her. She works very, very hard and is quite generous with suggestions. I wish they could all be like her.
  • SilverShilohSilverShiloh Posts: 9Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you both for the replies. If i hadnt had a devacut before, i might believe this is how it goes but the level 3 stylist didnt cut my much less curly hair that way. I did not love how i looked when i left and adored it before. In fact, she did it in a way that produced LESS curls than i had coming in or can get now... maybe it is bc she only has level 1 techniques? It was very mulletish and now my hair is sooo much shorter than i wanted and i wear it up. So disappointing.

I had a thought. Is it possible she might try to fix it if you asked her? I know that is a scary thought as it could be worse (or could it get worse?) but if she is a true professional she might appreciate the opportunity to fix it, or she might appreciate the feedback. If you start out with "I started to leave you a mediocre review but thought I would share with you what my thoughts are first...." and see how she responds and go from there...just a thought. I've asked 1 stylist to fix a poor hair cut and it went fine....maybe she was just super understanding.
  • CarolWKCarolWK Posts: 3Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with the otters posters about not feeling bad about leaving a bad review. I had been getting my haircut for a couple of years by a Deva level 1 stylist and was pretty satisfied, but I decided to try this level 3 stylist in a nearby city that was supposed to be fabulous. She had 5 stars on the Deva website and no bad reviews at all. I can't believe how bad my hair looks most days. The left side of my hair is squared off and the ends are just plain weird -all uneven and not in the least neat. I'm going to schedule a paid consultation with Hailey, my original stylist to see what she can do and how soon she can do it. I do not want this level 3, supposedly genius Deva person near my head with scissors again -even her service were free. She also spent a lot of time pushing Deva products at me and telling me to do some unnecessarily complex care routine. I use some Deva products, but don't need or want everything she pushed at me, especially that Beautiful Mess crud. It left my hair a mess, but it was far from beautiful. Rat's nest is more like it. I will leave a review of this stylist and it may very well be 1 star.
  • StephanieeeStephanieee Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Having the same problem! My hair is mixture of 2c-3b curls all over and my first deva cut about 5 yrs ago I had with a well known master stylist and he did an amazing job and I swear my hair was curlier after he cut it and because he travels I cannot see him as often as I would like so I started going to another stylist in my area and I am now having the problem of it not really curling right. It's less curly than when I have got it cut wet! It makes no sense. Just as you described this stylist I'm newly going to rips through my hair to make it more straight and then starts cutting it dry in a wet cut technique and not with the curl by curl method like I had originally thought a deva cut was? The curl by curl method worked so well for me and the way this stylist cuts does not. My hair is suddenly more wavy on top and just so mediocre looking. I was used to having voluminous but still defined curls and now I feel like a dying plant that someone forgot to water...it's not a bad haircut by any means but the way she cut it just does not do my curls any justice. Makes me livid because I normally love my hair and the past year I have felt so uncomfortable with it and totally down. Personally for me leaving s bad review would do nothing and not benefit me in anyway so I wouldn't do it. The stylist I have been going to advertises herself as a master stylist and a lot of curly girls in the area seem to love her for some reason so it's just not worth it. So I've decided I'll take myself elsewhere and probably go back to the guy I was going to a few years back. Nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem though
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Having the same problem! My hair is mixture of 2c-3b curls all over and my first deva cut about 5 yrs ago I had with a well known master stylist and he did an amazing job and I swear my hair was curlier after he cut it and because he travels I cannot see him as often as I would like so I started going to another stylist in my area and I am now having the problem of it not really curling right. It's less curly than when I have got it cut wet! It makes no sense. Just as you described this stylist I'm newly going to rips through my hair to make it more straight and then starts cutting it dry in a wet cut technique and not with the curl by curl method like I had originally thought a deva cut was? The curl by curl method worked so well for me and the way this stylist cuts does not. My hair is suddenly more wavy on top and just so mediocre looking. I was used to having voluminous but still defined curls and now I feel like a dying plant that someone forgot to water...it's not a bad haircut by any means but the way she cut it just does not do my curls any justice. Makes me livid because I normally love my hair and the past year I have felt so uncomfortable with it and totally down. Personally for me leaving s bad review would do nothing and not benefit me in anyway so I wouldn't do it. The stylist I have been going to advertises herself as a master stylist and a lot of curly girls in the area seem to love her for some reason so it's just not worth it. So I've decided I'll take myself elsewhere and probably go back to the guy I was going to a few years back. Nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem though

my hair is similar, primarily 3a but with many 3b curls at the crown and some 2c waves. so the stylist needs to know how to blend the whole head,not merely how to cut a curl.
    my stylist for over 11 yrs is in the city and a pain to get to. and he did travel 4x/yr but now is down to 2x/yr. however, due to traffic, i will only take the first sat morning appt, which he has changed from 9 am to 10 am, which makes a huge difference in travel time.
    i had to cancel appt last jan due to snow and could not make another one soon after that, so i did go to a local "deva trained" stylist. the first cut was ok because i would only let him cut the very botton to take away the pyramid, so the rest of my head was essentially my regular stylist's cut. then due to scheduling difficulities, i went again to local guy --BIG mistake. i scheduled an appt with my regular one but that was 5 weeks away..... but i waited and went in 2 1/2 weeks ago -- what a difference! :love7: my hair is in love.
    as you stated, my hair is also soooo much curlier after he cuts it. never a bad hair day, can go 2, 3 days without washing (longer if my head didn't sweat, lol!).
    it takes a truly talented stylist to successfully blend different curl patterns. it is my belief that 3a hair with a mix of 3b and 2c is the trickiest hair to cut.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file