Desperate Need of Help (with frizz especially)

helenofpyloshelenofpylos Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi everyone, I've spent a lot of time on this site, but this is my first post. I am so frustrated with my hair and hoping someone will have some advice.

I've been doing the Curly Girl method for 3/4 years and I just can't seem to find products/methods that work. My hair is 3a/3b with some 2c parts. I think it's sensitive to protein. It's low porosity and medium density.

My latest routine is doing the Squish to Condish (co-wash with As I Am and then condition with whatever I have, right now Nature's Gate). I did it successfully twice and then since then my hair has actually been even frizzier! Part of the problem is that my hair seems to be frizzy even when I'm in the shower. Then I squish in some SheaMoisture curl cream and flax seed gel. Then I either air-dry or diffuse with the PixieCurl method.

I've tried out pretty much every product under the sun (Jessicurl, SheaMoisture conditioners-creams-hair milk, Curl Keeper gel, KCKT, DevaCurl, Giovanni Leave-In Conditioner) and nothing seems to work! And pretty much every technique (shingling, praying hands, scrunching, plopping) and same thing.

Hopefully someone can give me some advice.

Comments

• WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    Yuck! Frizz in the shower is the worst. When it happens to me usually I have build up and need to clarify. If I'm not sure what the culprit is I will clarify and go back to really basic and with things I know don't offend my hair and then once a week I might experiment with one thing that I wasn't sure about building up. It's a lot of trial and error and time. Hope you get to the cause of the frizz.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Definitely clarify as wavycat suggested. I'd go to suggest using even a sulfate one and then deep condition afterwards. Clarifying is like a reset. Then try your routine being aware of hidden silicones, polyquats, or waxes in your products.
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I agree, start with a sulfate clarifying poo and then a deep condition afterward. Make sure the conditioner is protein free.

Which products exactly are you using? There are several Nature's Gate conditioners, and I'm sure some have protein. Shea Moisture products also usually have protein. Excess protein can cause the hair to feel tangly when wet.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • ttoosdayttoosday Registered Users Posts: 509 Curl Connoisseur
    Is your hair fine or coarse? I'm coarse and have had trouble finding products that work.

Have you considered a hard water or chlorine filter for your shower? I would start with the suggestions above and if you still have frizz, it's worth looking into your water.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • helenofpyloshelenofpylos Registered Users Posts: 3
    First of all, thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions! I tend to clarify my hair every other week, although even with deep conditioning any sort of shampoo seems to make my hair even frizzier!

I have been using the Aloe Vera and Macadamia Nature's Gate Conditioner, but it did have protein so I've switched over to the Giovanni 50/50 conditioner.

I washed my hair on Thursday (and clarified) and then did the Squish to Condish (with the 50/50), did a tiny bit of the Shea Moisture hibiscus curl cream (I know it has protein, but I used only a little) and then my flax seed gel. Even then it was pretty frizzy (and the frizz started in the shower, every time I gently squished the water into my hair, it started frizzing up even though it should have been sopping wet).

I've tried to add a couple pictures of my hair after it dried, although the camera didn't capture the frizz as well as I'd hoped. It's medium density, and I do think it is coarse. QWaLF
  • helenofpyloshelenofpylos Registered Users Posts: 3
    I failed on adding them to the previous one, so here are the actually pictures.
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    You have really pretty hair!

From my experience, if your hair is protein sensitive, even the tiniest bit of protein in a product can set it off. So I would not use the SM product at all. I would cut out all protein-containing products for a couple of weeks and see what happens.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    Oh! Your curls are so pretty! I know you say you might be course but I wonder if a pre-poo oil , maybe just on the ends, might help? Try coconut oil or EVOO.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • EyeAmShanEyeAmShan Registered Users Posts: 22 Curl Neophyte
    Therese1 wrote: »
    You have really pretty hair!

From my experience, if your hair is protein sensitive, even the tiniest bit of protein in a product can set it off. So I would not use the SM product at all. I would cut out all protein-containing products for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

What are some good protein conditioners? I use Shea Moisture and I think it's doing the same to my hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file