Hair types

2»

Comments

• corkycorky Posts: 12Registered Users
    I'm not educated enough in typing to say for sure what you are, but you have gorgeous curls!

Thanks! :) I'm still getting to know them.

Is type even relevant or is it more for fun that people are so into it? I mean, I know it's relevant whether you're wavy/botticelli/corkscrew or whatever, because it can dictate your care and styling habits, but within, say, wavy, does it really make a big difference as to how you care for your hair whether you're an A, B or C?

There are so many people with lovely hair, here, by the way! Since I've started to work with my wave, I'm noticing curlies all over the place. It's like I suddenly have curly radar on.
  • MaloryMalory Posts: 379Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    corky wrote:
    Is type even relevant or is it more for fun that people are so into it? I mean, I know it's relevant whether you're wavy/botticelli/corkscrew or whatever, because it can dictate your care and styling habits, but within, say, wavy, does it really make a big difference as to how you care for your hair whether you're an A, B or C?

The thickness of your hair will affect how you care for it.

If your hair is thin, it will be more easily weighed down by oil, conditioner, other products, and pollution in the environment, and will probably need to be cleaned more often.
  • HeatherDawnHeatherDawn Posts: 300Registered Users
    Corky, I'd say you are a 2C maybe 3A. It is a tough call! Either way you have great hair girl!
    HeatherDawn
    2C/3A
  • corkycorky Posts: 12Registered Users
    Thanks! :)

I guess it depends on the system of typing as well. I have medium hair, not fine or coarse (though I have a lot of it), so 2B? But I get wave pretty high up on my head, so by another system, maybe a 2C.
  • MintMint Posts: 1,143Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was curious about this, too. :P I'm a 2C according to NaturallyCurly's definition, but I don't know what FIA curl type I am. My waves are often like stretched out spirals (1-2 inch spring factor) even when using no product, Set it Free, or AIS, but sometimes they are mostly S-shaped.

I have some pics on this forum (the links have to be copied and pasted).

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/viewtopic.php?t=105733&highlight=

Also, does hair have to be unscrunched for determining hair types?
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
  • teela1978teela1978 Posts: 278Registered Users
    Hi Mint, I'd say 2b on Fia's system, but if you have a lot of long lazy spirals you might call yourself 2c. Typing is definitely more of an art than a science :)
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
  • MintMint Posts: 1,143Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    teela1978 wrote:
    Hi Mint, I'd say 2b on Fia's system, but if you have a lot of long lazy spirals you might call yourself 2c. Typing is definitely more of an art than a science :)

Thanks! Yay, I like both types. :D I agree, after looking closely at the categories I'd say true 2B but a little 2C with certain products.

True, typing is more of an art because there are so many factors that affect curly/wavy hair and everyone has different opinions. :)
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
  • UP LisaUP Lisa Posts: 98Registered Users
    I think you have to go by what your hair looks like naturally in order to determine your type.
    2b. Dark Golden Blond. Very fine texture. Medium thickness. Thrilled to find waves!!!
  • NiphredilNiphredil Posts: 3Registered Users
    For me, i'm a 2 (a/b/c) on Fia's system (that I've been using for years now), with Fine to Medium strands, and just over average thickness.
    I have waves, quite frizzy, in the canopy layers, but also defined loose spirals underneath and on the sides.

For the NC.com system, I'm also 2 ABC, because the canopy is fine textured, whereas the underneath layers are much more coarse.

I truly have hair that cannot be typed as a single type.
    The downside to that is, when something works for one part of my hair, it might not (or even be horrible) for the other part.
    2 F/M ii/iii (Fia's)
    Combination hair:
    straighter on top (like 2a)
    curlier beneath (like 2c)
    Most problematic area: Canopy *Frizzzzzz*
  • bostonwavesbostonwaves Posts: 727Registered Users
    If you are going by the Curly Girl book, there are only three kinds of hair; Wavey, Bottacelli and Corkscrew. The Andre methode was just a little plainer and the Fia is more exact still. It really doesn't matter which one you use because, IMHO, unless you can send us your hair, we will not KNOW what it is like. I wouldn't worry too much about which hair classification you are using. It can be confusing, but what about this hair thing hasn't been yet?! LOL! :lol:

ITA with HeatherDawn. I don't think typing makes too much difference. Hair typing is just a guide, not a hard and fast rule.

I find my hair type continually changes depending on the weather, the environment and even how I eat.

So some days I can treat my hair like a 3c and other days its a disaster. Some times my hair is a fine wavy 2b.
    I can go months without pooing and then have to use shampoo twice in a week.
    You just have to learn about YOUR hair what works for YOU.
    "What's the good of having naturally curly hair if nobody's jealous?" Freida - Peanuts

~CG 8/06 ~
    fine, wavy - 2b/3a
    KCNT and KKCC
  • keikokkeikok Banned Posts: 585Banned Users
    The typing thing really isnt that important. Curly hair can be wavy or kinky, either way its still curly in my book (its all chemical).

Everyone knows what their hair is like.
    Keiko

my fotki-its a work in progress
    http://public.fotki.com/keikok/
    password:curly
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    keikok wrote:
    The typing thing really isnt that important. Curly hair can be wavy or kinky, either way its still curly in my book (its all chemical).

Everyone knows what their hair is like.

Yeah, there is some sense in that. If I go by that Fia chart, I'm a 3a/b/c as I have all of those types of curls. It feels odd, but I guess I'm just used to this way. I guess I'd just adapt to whatever system said board was using. Seeing this, I guess I can see why I though that folks at LHC typed their hair at a higher category than I would guess them from the system here.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • marxmarx Posts: 52Registered Users
    teela1978 wrote: »
    So I have a slight tendancy to disagree with some of the "established" ways of typing wavy hair. Clearly I'm not the only one, we all have pretty much abandoned the nc.com method of 2a=fine, 2b=medium, 2c=coarse in favor of fia's method
    which defines wavy hair as:

2) The wavy ones
    2a - loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair
    2b - shorter, more distinct S-waves (similar to waves from braiding damp hair)
    2c - distinct S-waves and the odd spiral curl forming here and there

I agree with fia's method much more than the nc.com way of organizing these, but I kinda think it's almost easier to type based on where your wave starts. For airdried hair I'd say that 2c starts high on the scalp, near the crown of the head, 2b closer to ears (like me) and 2a you're almost down on the neck before you really start to see much wave. The spiral thing seems to throw a lot of people off. I get spirals, but they're huge loopy spirals. I'd say 2a's can get them as well but they'd be really really long. I guess it's just the 2c that annoys me because that "spiral" bit kinda includes me but my hair really doesen't look like other 2c's unless I scrunch like crazy, and if airdried I still don't get the wave up above my ears (see www if interested).

Am I the only weird one who's overthought this? I blame all the recent typing threads.

Comments?
    I just replied in another thread about this:
    I also think Fia's system is better.
    It's odd that in Andre's system, type 1 & 2 are subclassified based on coarseness, whilst type 3 & 4 are divided following the degree of curliness.

The only thing about Fia's system which could use some change is replacing "very curly" with "kinky" because many in that category in fact don't really have curls. But this is not the point. :happy9:
    according to Fia's.
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think I'm about ready to cuss over this typing issue. When I first found this forum, I thought I was a 3A. Posted pics and people told me 2C with possibilities of 3A. I was devastated. Then, I had the brilliant idea of doing a DT today, then let it air dry without any product in it except a leave-in. Whoa! I do not recommend it!

My hair is the ugliest thing I've seen in a while. Though it curls, I still can't figure out what type I am. I'm thinking a 2B, which depresses me even more. I want tighter curls sometimes. Plus, it's relatively short, so the curl patterns aren't totally coming out right now. I have very defined waves in the front, almost ringlets, and very tight ringlets at the nape of my neck. Then the crown barely has an "S" in it. Okay, maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but not much.

I do not recommend going without product just to see what type you are naturally. It will just depress you. Now, if you will pardon me...I have a date with a pint of Ben & Jerry's.

• eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It seems that the type 2 wavies have the most trouble figuring out their type of wavy curl, and the different methods of typing make it confusing, too. Personally, I go by the amount of curl, like the 3s. So 2a would be a slight wave, 2b tighter s curves, and 2c has some spirals springing up. But all 2s wave/curl pattern start lower, like around ear length, whereas 3s start at the roots. And the "boing factor" of 2s would be only an inch or two, while 3s "boing" 3 or more inches. Also, 3s will stay curly with short hair, but 2s would loose the wavy curl pattern.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users
    I think I'm about ready to cuss over this typing issue. When I first found this forum, I thought I was a 3A. Posted pics and people told me 2C with possibilities of 3A. I was devastated. Then, I had the brilliant idea of doing a DT today, then let it air dry without any product in it except a leave-in. Whoa! I do not recommend it!

My hair is the ugliest thing I've seen in a while. Though it curls, I still can't figure out what type I am. I'm thinking a 2B, which depresses me even more. I want tighter curls sometimes. Plus, it's relatively short, so the curl patterns aren't totally coming out right now. I have very defined waves in the front, almost ringlets, and very tight ringlets at the nape of my neck. Then the crown barely has an "S" in it. Okay, maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but not much.

I do not recommend going without product just to see what type you are naturally. It will just depress you. Now, if you will pardon me...I have a date with a pint of Ben & Jerry's.

I did that very thing on Sunday... I did a DT and let it dry without adding any product...was it ever frizzy... good news is that I poo'd today, used some product and it is back to the norm.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • RawrSallyRawrSally Posts: 1,388Registered Users
    According to that FIA chart, I'm mostly 2C at least.
    I get random 3B, 3C pieces at my temple and around my hairline...
    The underpart of my hair is about 2B.
    My hair is so confused.
    So I did the product thing again along with a recommendation to apply products by section instead of soaking wet hair. I still believe I'm a solid 2B with 2C/3A possibilities. The hair technically spirals, but it's just a huge spiral and doesn't resolve into ringlets except for around the nape of my neck. And it only boings something around 2" on average, I think. I only boinged my hair yesterday because it actually did boing, not just stretch out and recurl slowly. I'm a retard and was boinging a lock of curl around my face all day. I was the circus attraction at work!

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I, too, think the whole issue is very confusing. I consider myself a 3A. By your description, I'd be a some type of 2. My pattern starts away from the root and my hair doesn't curl when short or have as much "boing." Yet, my hair is curly and not wavy--given the right circumstance. I thought these are the distinctions between a 3A and a 3B. The 3A curl is not as uniform or "corkscrewed" as the 3B, needs some length to curl and doesn't curl from the roots. I suppose we all have certain ideas in our minds. Most hoping for that we don't have!
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I think it all goes back to you want what you can't have. I always wanted straight hair, and straightened for years and years. Then, I finally decided to go curly. Now, I'm upset because my hair isn't curly enough. Will I ever be satisfied?

• marxmarx Posts: 52Registered Users
    I think I'll just stick to 1, 2, 3, or 4. :wink:

The subtyping NC uses (based on André Walker's book) is a bit odd because type 1 & 2 are divided based on coarseness, whereas 3 & 4 are subclassified based on curliness.

After all there's no clear boundaries between the hair types (theoretically you could divide each type further into a to z) and everybody has a mix of different hair types on their head.

Cheers!
    according to Fia's.
  • curlyaniecurlyanie Posts: 111Registered Users
    teela1978 wrote: »
    I think it's important to note that in the fia pic's the hair is airdried, and considering the culture over at LHC, probably have minimal product. I'm probably in the minority over here in that sometimes I look at people's hair and their typing and wonder "but what does it look like if you don't load it with gel and scrunch." Is airdried what your hairtype should actually be? Or is product laden and heat styled with a diffuser what you should go by?

It's all so confusing. Way too many factors. I think I've just confused myself even more than I was before and now I dislike both methods.

yes yes yes!..i am one of those, no product airdrying people, and still my curl varies..i just saw fia's pics and my hair can go 3a..i have 1c in my nape area and spirals near my temples, an a mix of 2a-2c all over..whew!i thought i was the only one confused about my hair type, and now i know im medium not fine..and i definitely have thin hair..but the factors, weather, products , drying, are always still there..better not classify then, just look for what works for you, as we know every curlyhead is different..:nike:
    product staple: suave coconut conditioner
    goal: healthy BSL! :D
    obstacle: haven't figured it out:crybaby:
    :protest:probable suspects
    • hard water
    • varying product use
    • weather-hair chemistry confusion
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 68Registered Users
    Yep, I'm right there with you all. I've been struggling to figure out where I fit into the continuum of waves and curls, and I think I've finally decided I'm a 2c/3a. But I'm not going by coarseness, I'm going by my own perception of the amount of curl my hair has. At any given moment my hair can vary from 2a (by the fia method) to 3b, and have chunks of anything in between all over my head. As many others have said, it's not definite, and it's ever changing, so I just go by what I feel my hair is, and what works for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I want to run away and join the Cirque.

• mrl234mrl234 Posts: 548Registered Users
    Yeah, the problem I have is that NC's types don't cover everyone. Some hair that is only moderately wavy is very coarse or thick, so would that be a 2A for the wavyness or 2C for the texture? I list mine as 2B/C because the strands aren't very coarse, but I have a lot of hair and there are occasional spirals among waves of varying tightness. Also, some people have thick, fine hair and some have thin, coarser hair. It just doesn't allow enough room for variation.

Fia's typing is much more accurate because it allows for that diversity. Under that system I could accurately classify it as 2C-M-iii.
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm late to this thread, but have dealt with the same difficulty-in-typing issue. Weather variations, not to mention having different types of hair on the same head, make this more complicated.

I've kind of stopped caring exactly what type I am. I pay more attention to what kinds of things my hair does, and I look for tips from other posters whose hair does something similar. I will certainly notice if their hair type seems to put them in a VERY different category from me..... but I still might try something suggested, once, if it seems like the poster is dealing with some similar issues to mine.

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file