A mess of a transition. Please help!

albellalbell Registered Users Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
I stopped getting relaxers almost 5 years ago, but I continued to flat iron my hair and get silkouts consistently until last year. However, I noticed that different sides of my hair are different textures, with one half being curly and most of the other half and edges growing straight. I stopped heat treatment altogether about 2 months ago along with doing egg and mayonnaise treatments but nothing looks to have changed. Just trying to figure out if the big chop is best for me.

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    The different textures may be the result of damage. If you want to big chop, you can. But if you're on the fence and want to try to reverse damage, try various deep conditioners. Try moisture deep conditioners and protein. Apogee 2 step may be one to try (heavy duty but the smell is so horrible that I stopped using it). Try Apogee 2 minute keratin reconstruct or and joico k-Pak reconstructor if you don't like the 2 step. The egg and protein in mayonnaise (supposedly) is too large to enter into the hair, so try actual hair products. Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow & Restore line may be one worth looking into. Give your hair some loving care and time to soak in the moisture and protein over time. During this time, don't use heat and try low manipulation styles. If you feel your hair is high porosity and not keeping moisture, try the LOC or LCO method. Your hair may or may not get better, but at least you will have a more informed decision on what you want to do from here. Best of luck!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file