I murdered my hair!

JAJameson2010JAJameson2010 Registered Users Posts: 123
I already transationed to natural hair and it was amazingly curly and SO easy! Then I went red for years, next decided I needed to go unred. Half a dozen boxes of Color Oops & 4 boxes of bleach and now my hair won't curl!

It's been about 6.5 months of using really good products. Daily deep conditioning. Weekly protein treatments. Monthly trims. No heat, just kindness! I still have no curling! Just straight puffs of frizz!

I only finger comb in the shower with conditioner. Shampoo once a week. (never shampooing seemed to make my hair fall out when I tried years ago)

My hair seems to really like the biotera products. I've been using yogurt, egg, & gelatin for my weekly protein treatments. Aphogee for the monthly protein treatments. I started taking a daily biotin vitamin.

What else can I do to encourage the curl? I'm thinking of using low heat to style my hair every 3 days (with clips and a bonnet dryer) and hopefully that may help it remember to curl? I'm so tempted to just go get a perm, but I know that will just dig this hole deeper! Even plopping won't get it to curl.

Does anyone have any suggestions to try and fix my stupid? lol

Comments

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    If you've been doing protein consistently without results for a while, maybe you need to try moisture type treatments? Someone posted the following link on another thread that might help you too: RockynCurls: Protein and Overconditioning

That post also lists another reference, which was interesting: https://pittsburghcurly.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/protein-vs-moisture/
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • JAJameson2010JAJameson2010 Registered Users Posts: 123
    bomega wrote: »
    If you've been doing protein consistently without results for a while, maybe you need to try moisture type treatments? Someone posted the following link on another thread that might help you too: RockynCurls: Protein and Overconditioning

That post also lists another reference, which was interesting: https://pittsburghcurly.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/protein-vs-moisture/

Thank you Bomega! I found the first link last night and it says I need more protein. But then the second link says the opposite... Why can't this be easy! :shaking: I'll start doing protein less and see if that helps. Fingers are crossed
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    I know it's not what you want to hear, but 6 boxes of color oops and 4 bleach sessions is a lot for hair to go through. Red is a horrible color to remove since it has the smallest pigments, so they hold on tight. Keep doing what you're doing though to see if you can get them back. Moisture deep conditioners, protein deep conditioners, Apogee 2 step. See if you can get the curls back. I would advise against a perm because that will further damage your hair potentially making it break off and it will still need to be grown out. Try roller sets or perm rods until you grow it out. But definitely deep condition. One thing to note though is you don't really want to wet your hair every day. Daily manipulation may agitate the problem.
  • KylaShaniqueKylaShanique Registered Users Posts: 4
    Hey! I'm sorry to hear that your hair is giving you so much trouble, I'm sure that you're sick of babying it at this point. I have color treated hair (and heat damage) as well, so I understand how frustrating it can get. Have you tried using betonite clay? I used it once and it INSTANTLY gave my hair crazy definition when I washed it out, and the pieces of my hair that were damaged actually started to curl up way more. Here's a link to the clay that I used http://amzn.to/2uediiE. I didn't add apple cider vinager or anything, I just mixed it with water.

Also, on my youtube channel I have a video, "10 tips for transitioning to natural hair" https://youtu.be/4yf-eIRziXk
    Anyways, in the video I really stressed that when you're trying to get rid of damage, you definitely wanna stay out of your hair and just grow it on out. So I'm thinking you may wanna invest in some weave or a wig or braids or some type of protective style so that you can give your hair a break and give yourself a break from dealing with non-cooperative hair.
    Hope something from this helps you, good luck!
    Thanks! I actually tried a Clay Rinse last week... Now sure how I felt about it... I actually chopped 7 inches off my hair on Tuesday. It's much healthier! and has more curl to it. Now just have to wait for it to grow out. Maybe I'll do another clay rinse tonight.... :) Will def check out that youtube channel! Thank you!!!!!!
  • WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    Maybe I read this wrong but did you take the red out 6.5 months ago? If you did then how are your roots? Did you have root curl before? I'm trying to find out what your roots are doing. It might tell give us a better picture of what's going on.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
    Yes I do have about 7 months of undamaged growth! That long length of roots did not curl, until I chopped off 7 inches a couple days ago. Now it's curling and I look like I have a bit of a mullet. I need to trim the back ends up more. I guess those 7 inches was weighing it down? Now I'm sadly short, but I hate my hair much less. Just have to get it to grow out fast now. :)

What is the Clay Rinse supposed to do? It almost feels like it dries out my hair, which is the opposite of what I need...
  • WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    Wellllll. I did hear the mullet about is coming back! 😀
    It seems like you might just have to grow it out.
    I'm glad you're feeling a little better about things.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • austinthegirlaustinthegirl Registered Users Posts: 8
    Ah a similar thing happened to me. What I did though was I went with a pixie cut to start over and grow it back fresh. It was drastic, yes, but I knew it was really the only way forward. Trying to bring my hair back to what it was before was like beating a dead horse. Literally and figuratively.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file