CurlTalk

Sleeping and Refreshing

Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Posts: 124Registered Users
Hi, I have been struggling with achieving good hair on second day. I found a couple of videos that helped me and decided to share.
/home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DCKywl2vvLTU" class="Popup
/home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVpC0tGrs5iI" class="Popup
2c, dense and coarse hair.

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 278Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Those are great. Thanks for sharing. (ETA: FitKat's friend real life+curly girl has some good videos too, especially if you have longer hair. :))

ETA: Relevant videos:
    Refresh Demo
    Discussion of refreshing products
    Summer: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing - Citrus Mint Shampoo and Conditioner
    Winter: Alaffia Coconut & Shea Daily Hydrating - Lavender Coconut Shampoo and Conditioner

Fine, 2c, low porosity hair that I color using the 2-step henndigo with amla

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 219Registered Users, Moderators Curl Novice
    Thanks for sharing those! Last night I tried her night time routine. I think adding some moisture before bedtime is going to be a good thing for me. I can't spray my hair with anything - the frizz just sizzles up when I do that. So I just put some water in with my hands, sort of a praying hands technique, and a smoothing, glazing technique. Then I added some Maui Moisture Coconut Milk sprayed into my hands, then applied the same way. I tried the Medusa clipping. It looked a lot nice than a pineapple, but I couldn't sleep with those clips in my hair, so I got up and switched it to a pineapple. I might try that for a daytime look though.

Today my hair isn't quite as dry and fluffy as it normally is in the morning. It's not quite good enough to try for second day hair, but I think this technique has possibilities. I'm not convinced oil is good for my hair, but I have a sample of some Briogeo conditioning spray I'll try instead. Or maybe I can mix the conditioning spray with the oil spray. But doing a refresh before bed is definitely going into my routine!
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 1,715Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm starting to try to work some moisture into my hair at bedtime too. I'm not sure about the oil either...that might just make my hair greasy.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: As I Am; CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel
    Normal- to low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Posts: 124Registered Users
    janiegirl wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing those! Last night I tried her night time routine. I think adding some moisture before bedtime is going to be a good thing for me. I can't spray my hair with anything - the frizz just sizzles up when I do that. So I just put some water in with my hands, sort of a praying hands technique, and a smoothing, glazing technique. Then I added some Maui Moisture Coconut Milk sprayed into my hands, then applied the same way. I tried the Medusa clipping. It looked a lot nice than a pineapple, but I couldn't sleep with those clips in my hair, so I got up and switched it to a pineapple. I might try that for a daytime look though.

Today my hair isn't quite as dry and fluffy as it normally is in the morning. It's not quite good enough to try for second day hair, but I think this technique has possibilities. I'm not convinced oil is good for my hair, but I have a sample of some Briogeo conditioning spray I'll try instead. Or maybe I can mix the conditioning spray with the oil spray. But doing a refresh before bed is definitely going into my routine!

When I first tried the medusa clipping I couldn't sleep, then I figured out to clip it in a way that won't interfere with my sleep pattern; I move a lot and sleep on my sides and eventually on the back, so I try to avoid those areas. I got good second and third days with this method, I switched to flax seed gel, I put my hair in a medusa on first day next day I use water either spray or on my hands, rope scrunch, upwards scrunch and air dry. the gel gets reactivated and gives me a hard cast so I use the diffuser to break it trying not to mess or touch my hair too much, once I'm done I put a drop of oil into my hands and fix my hair, do some rope scrunching mainly and it looks good all day. For the next day I apply mixed water/conditioner and medusa and refresh with the same mix. So far this and the gel have helped to achieve a third day which in the past wasn't possible.
    About the oil, she uses blended and diluted oils, which aren't as heavy as pure oil, so if you have pure oil try using only one drop.
    2c, dense and coarse hair.
    The oil I used is a blend, it was the thinnest looking one at the store that was silicone free. Night before last, I sprayed one pump of that in my hand, and two pumps of the conditioning milk, smooshed those together and smoothed it over my hair. The following day I used water and and the conditioning milk only. My hair turned out pretty good! I'm going to pick up some dry shampoo today and try for second day hair again tomorrow. All I need is a bit more volume and I think it'll look enough for work.
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 192Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have also realized I probably should do something other than just pineapple-ing at night.

I started to medusa clip the front of my hair and that really helped. Next is to figure out if I should just use water or add conditioner too.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, Sunflower Oil Pre-poo
    Styling: Living Proof Curl Defining Styling Cream and/or Living Proof Curl Enhancing Styling Mousse
  • la_ninonla_ninon Posts: 118Registered Users
    Thanks, all, for this discussion. Bomega, thank you for directing me to the other YouTuber! I'm going to try her gel-centric night routine and maybe eventually experiment with a few medusa clips. If I can get a reliable night routine down before I go back to teaching in the fall, I will be THRILLED.
    Lo Poo: MOP Hydrating Shampoo
    Leave-Ins: CJ Beauticurls, Briogeo Rosarco Spray
    Rinse-Outs: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine
    Stylers: L'Oreal Out of Bed Texturizer, Bumble & Bumble Bb. Gel, Yarok Hair Whip, Davines Volu Spray
    Treatments: ACV rinse, CJ Curl Rehab, caffeine solution spray

2C-3A, fine, low-medium porosity, low-medium density, sensitive scalp, protein-sensitive
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 1,715Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've been lightly spraying my hair with plain water at bedtime before putting it up in a pineapple, and I am definitely getting better second-day hair by doing this. After rereading the posts above, I think I will try using a tiny bit of leave-in with the water and see what happens.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: As I Am; CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel
    Normal- to low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I've been experimenting with the techniques here, and I"m thrilled! I've even been able to get THIRD day hair!

At night I wet my hair down with my hands, then I add Briogeo Rosarco Conditioning Milk (LOVE!! this stuff!). I rope squeeze with my hands to bring back the clumping, then use my towel to both rope squeeze and upwards scrunch. Once it's dry I fluff it up, and it's beautiful and shiny! But it's also bedtime, so I pineapple it for the night. Then in the morning, I start with Batiste dry shampoo, then repeat the night time routine except I add a dab of gel instead of the Rosarco milk.

I end up with smooth, shiny wavy hair. It is much more wavy than curly, but that's ok with me.

I highly recommend the Briogeo Rosarco Conditioning Milk, especially if you have thin, fine, low porosity hair. Just a tiny bit adds so much shine and smoothness. It's a little pricey though, so try a travel size bottle if you can find it, just in case it doesn't work for you.
    Janie, thanks for sharing your routine and the Briogeo rec. I tried the gel-focused night routine and no dice - my hair looked as smashed as usual. I feel like part of the challenge is having short, i.e., chin-length, hair. I guess I'll have to try the clips.
    Rinse-Outs: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine
    Stylers: L'Oreal Out of Bed Texturizer, Bumble & Bumble Bb. Gel, Yarok Hair Whip, Davines Volu Spray

2C-3A, fine, low-medium porosity, low-medium density, sensitive scalp, protein-sensitive
    Maybe try something moisturizing at night, and then a hold product for morning? I've also found the dry shampoo in the morning is pretty important for me. My hair goes flat and limp at the crown when it gets dirty, and this gives it a little more oomph.
    la_ninon wrote: »
    Janie, thanks for sharing your routine and the Briogeo rec. I tried the gel-focused night routine and no dice - my hair looked as smashed as usual. I feel like part of the challenge is having short, i.e., chin-length, hair. I guess I'll have to try the clips.
    Have you tried RL+CG's refreshing technique with or without trying to sleep in a gel-cast? I think she uses Smasters for curl enhancement. But that might give you some ideas. Fitkat's refresh upthread is great too, and I'm sure would work for low-po hair.

I know you have a lot of trouble with moisture - Janiegirl's idea of moisturizing at night might help you catch up (I think Fitkat does this.) But I don't think the hair length is the problem - I used to have chin length hair and had great curls.

Another thought is that it seems like you have been struggling a lot. I wonder if it would be a good idea for you to get a hair analysis for product ideas and/or trying that curly class that Janiegirl took to get more info on techniques. Alternatively, if you felt like a roadtrip, you could even schedule a haircut with her, and her first-timer's haircut is a curly styling class. (It's not that crazy...I drive almost 4 hours to Seattle for my haircut!)
    Summer: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing - Citrus Mint Shampoo and Conditioner
    Winter: Alaffia Coconut & Shea Daily Hydrating - Lavender Coconut Shampoo and Conditioner

Dear Bomega,

Thanks for all the ideas! Who cuts your hair in Seattle?

I'm actually getting more consistent results of late, even w/ the extreme heat and low low dew points. I got my hair cut yesterday and have big ringlets today. I have never achieved 2nd-day hair--my curl pattern is weak, and, as I say, I'm a violent, sweaty sleeper.

I have thought of going to see the woman Janie recommends in Portland (I was there today!). I do like my stylist in Seattle though - I wonder if I could just book a consult in PDX?

Dear Janie,

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions. Moisture at night and hold in the morning sounds like a good plan. The Briogeo milk looks lovely, but contains a lot of ingredients that would clog my skin. Maybe that's another argument for picking up a sleeping cap.

la_ninon wrote: »
    Dear Bomega,

Thanks for all the ideas! Who cuts your hair in Seattle?

I'm actually getting more consistent results of late, even w/ the extreme heat and low low dew points. I got my hair cut yesterday and have big ringlets today. I have never achieved 2nd-day hair--my curl pattern is weak, and, as I say, I'm a violent, sweaty sleeper.

I have thought of going to see the woman Janie recommends in Portland (I was there today!). I do like my stylist in Seattle though - I wonder if I could just book a consult in PDX?.
    I go to Nikki at Scream in Capitol Hill. I think she is great, and while she cuts hair dry, she isn't a Deva stylist. I love my haircut, but she isn't the best for styling products.

I still think the hair analysis by Goosefootprints would be a good idea. Someone once posted theirs, and it is loaded with information and recommendations. Plus I think the pictures of your hair under microscope are cool. As soon as I can afford it, I'm going to get one.

You should email that lady (Curly Hair Studio I believe?) and see. She currently has a wait-list anyway, so you would have to email her no matter what. I will probably get a haircut from her sometime after I start working. I needed a haircut earlier this summer, but decided I didn't want to experiment while I'm job interviewing.

Update: I'm just back from camping. While away, I achieved second- and even third-day hair! This was miraculous for me! I attribute my success to higher dew points, more sedate sleeping (can I use a sleeping bag at home?), and a puffer jacket draped over my pillow to minimize frizz. I'm going to try to recreate these conditions, as best I can.

No reason why you can't sleep on the floor, and add a silk/satin pillowcase: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rawfamily.com%2Fnews%2FRFNews_12_08_01.htm" class="Popup.

And if you need higher dews, maybe a humidifier?

• rosaannrosaann Posts: 3Registered Users
    bomega wrote: »
    No reason why you can't sleep on the floor, and add a silk/satin pillowcase
    I was skeptical of the whole sleeping on silk thing for a long time (silly stubborn me), but recently I've been tying a silk scarf over
    my lovely pillow, and I've definitely noticed a difference. My hair is less rough in the morning, and more moisturized than after sleeping on cotton.
    Thanks Bomega and Rosaann! I tried sleeping on my jacket last night and woke up mussed again--I think it's about my rolling around as much as anything. I will go ahead and order a silk/satin pillowcase though.