We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes

Learn more!

searching for my hair type sisters

skylariannaskylarianna Posts: 4Registered Users
I’ll be natural for 6 years in August, and I’ve noticed something with my hair type. The only person I have ever seen with this hair type (including in person, pictures, the internet, and social media) is my mom. Of course. Sometimes it can be discouraging because I get lost in the hype. The only natural hair that I see that gets boosted all over twitter and tumblr and everywhere else is that sleek, shiny natural hair. The natural hair with the magical edges that can lay right to sleep. The natural hair that is in its natural state, but looks slick and straight in a ponytail. Or I see the really kinky natural hair. I don’t see much of the in between.

My natural does not lay sleek. My edges definitely don’t do the magical laid look. My natural straight hair isn’t flowy and shiny. When my hair is straight I CANNOT put any gel or edge control on it to make it slick or lay down my edges because my hair will revert. So i always have cowlicks everywhere when its straight. I don’t know! Its strange.

I know there has to be some girls in the world with hair like me. The “underrepresented” natural hair. We can share hair tips that do work for us. What doesn’t work. Empower each other. There is strength in numbers!

I don’t take pictures of just my hair so the pictures that are on the post are all selfies lol. I tried to include a range the states of my hair so I can as accurate as possible. Washed & detangled. Picked out puffs. A top puff. Tried to get a closer one of my edges. Straight hair. Straight hair after its been a few weeks after getting it pressed.

So if you see that we have similar hair, then post your pics sis!!!! I put the link in the post. hope it works. Let’s talk.

pictures in order from L to R:

1: Washed & detangled
2: Curls detangled and product on it for a twist out
3: Picked out puffs
4:Top puff with how my edges look after I do them. after they reverted from the edge control & gel
5: How my hair looks dried& scarfed overnight when I tried the sleek bun
6: Day after being pressed
7: Freshly out the chair getting it pressed
8: The back of that same hairstyle 4 days later
9: Straight hair after it's been a while

tumblr_orre5n3UjC1us8t6qo1_400.jpg

I'm sorry that the picture is so small. Try to zoom if you can & if you need to. I was working for hours to get them on here without them being so huge. This was the only way I could get it on here in a cohesive manner lol.

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,120Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i think you need to have posted a certain number of posts before they let you post pics. don't know what the number is, maybe it's on the user cp page???

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • persikorpersikor Posts: 12Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Post in forum for type 4 hair! I think that's like 4b? 4a?
  • bomegabomega Posts: 285Registered Users Curl Novice
    Hi skylarianna, Welcome to nc.com. I think based on pic (2) you probably are a 3c, however, you might get more ideas if you post under the type 4 forum (pic (3) looks more 4a).

Also, I think your hair looks great in all those pictures, so whatever you are doing is working :)
    Summer: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing - Citrus Mint Shampoo and Conditioner
    Winter: Alaffia Coconut & Shea Daily Hydrating - Lavender Coconut Shampoo and Conditioner

Fine, 2c, low porosity hair that I color using the 2-step henndigo with amla

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file