CurlTalk

Anyone doing spam control anymore?

Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 209Registered Users, Moderators Curl Novice
Are there any moderators here anymore? Or have we been totally and completely abandoned? Spammers are beginning to take over the boards. The "report spam" button hasn't worked for months so there's no way to flag them.

I'd be happy to volunteer as a moderator if there's no one else.

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 1,708Registered Users Curl Novice
    Wavycat, I've noticed the same thing! In my experience, this is what happens when a board has been abandoned. I have tried reporting the spam too, but like you say, the button doesn't work.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: As I Am; CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel
    Normal- to low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • bomegabomega Posts: 275Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I know. At one point the entire first page of one of the sub-boards was only spam, but it looks like someone cleaned those out at least. It would be great if there was someone dedicated to managing that.
    Summer: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing - Citrus Mint Shampoo and Conditioner
    Winter: Alaffia Coconut & Shea Daily Hydrating - Lavender Coconut Shampoo and Conditioner

Fine, 2c, low porosity hair that I color using the 2-step henndigo with amla

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • StephC79StephC79 Posts: 64Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It has been awful with the spam. I've tried reporting also. Hope it gets sorted soon.
    3A with tight ringlet underlayer.
    Mixed porosity, medium texture and density.

Cleaner - Shea Moisture fruit fusion shampoo, Maui Moisture curl quench shampoo, cleansing conditioner.
    Conditioner - L'Oreal Botanicals safflower conditioner.
    P/T - Curl Junkie repair me
    D/T - Shea Moisture manuka honey or fruit fusion mask
    Styling - Paul Mitchell round trip, Paul Mitchell super sculpt glaze, Paul Mitchell sculpting foam.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I had major surgery the end of February. There was a backup working the site while I was away. I am back now.

I am working on cleaning the spam. The mechanism to fix it wasn't working. Please continue to report it.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 209Registered Users, Moderators Curl Novice
    There is no way to report it, unless I just post here. Which I'm doing. Newbies/Introductions, Type 2 board, General Discussions - all of them have spam. Sometimes it's a new post, sometimes in a reply to other posts. I'm sure there's others, but those are boards I generally look at.

I hope you're doing better after your surgery. There really should be more than a single moderator though.
    Janiegirl, the reports have been coming through since last week. I'm not sure why you cannot report them. Could you screenshot what happens when you try to report? I could have the techs take a look at it.

Guide63
    I'm sorry to hear about your surgery; I hope you are recovering OK.

I too have problems reporting spam. When I click on the megaphone icon to report it, I get a page that says:

Safari can't open the page "https://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/report.php?p=2385531". The error is: "cannot decode raw data" (NSURLErrorDomain:-1015)
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel
    I'm sorry to hear about your surgery; I hope you are recovering OK.

I too have problems reporting spam. When I click on the megaphone icon to report it, I get a page that says:

Safari can't open the page "https://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/report.php?p=2385531". The error is: "cannot decode raw data" (NSURLErrorDomain:-1015)
    Thank you Therese1.

Thank you also for giving me the info on reporting spam. I will pass it on.

Guide63
  • StephC79StephC79 Posts: 64Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hall of shame discussion thread is the worst for it. I've been reporting some of it. I get the same error message but it then goes to the report page.
    3A with tight ringlet underlayer.
    Mixed porosity, medium texture and density.

Cleaner - Shea Moisture fruit fusion shampoo, Maui Moisture curl quench shampoo, cleansing conditioner.
    Conditioner - L'Oreal Botanicals safflower conditioner.
    P/T - Curl Junkie repair me
    D/T - Shea Moisture manuka honey or fruit fusion mask
    Styling - Paul Mitchell round trip, Paul Mitchell super sculpt glaze, Paul Mitchell sculpting foam.
    I just tried to report your post - not that it's spam, I just wanted to see the error without navigating away from this page!

My error says:
    Content Encoding Error
    The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

This is using Firefox 53.0.3, on my PC. About the time they improved the ability to post, this started happening. I haven't been able to report any spam since that time.
    Thanks janiegirl. I passed this info on to the necessary parties.
    Thanks janiegirl. I passed this info on to the necessary parties.

Guide63
    I just received word that the spam reporting error has been submitted to the techs. Sorry for the delay, my emails were going to the wrong place.

Guide63
    Is it possible to ask them to reduce the amount to wait time before reporting a second spam? It is currently 60 seconds, but when there is a lot to report, it would be easier if the wait time was 20 seconds or less.
    Summer: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing - Citrus Mint Shampoo and Conditioner
    Winter: Alaffia Coconut & Shea Daily Hydrating - Lavender Coconut Shampoo and Conditioner

Thanks for reporting spam bomega. I get all of your reports. :thumright:

I can ask, but I am not sure the system has that capability.
    How is everyone else reporting spam? It still doesn't work for me. I'm on Firefox on a PC, and I click on the megaphone icon, and I get taken to a page that says "Content Encoding Error". It's been like this for months.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    janiegirl wrote: »
    How is everyone else reporting spam? It still doesn't work for me. I'm on Firefox on a PC, and I click on the megaphone icon, and I get taken to a page that says "Content Encoding Error". It's been like this for months.

I get the same in Internet Explorer & Chrome.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    I just tried to report using Safari on my iPhone. It's not working for me either. I let them know about this.
    I just reported your post G63 to test from my phone and looks like it went through. That's the Tapatalk App.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    Curly Canadian, I received your spam report.

Guide63
    Must just be a desktop issue....so odd!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Audrey Hepburn
    The spam reporting issue via safari is a known problem. They are working on it.

janiegirl, I am hoping to hear back about your particular situation in the next few days.

Guide63
    janiegirl wrote: »
    When I try to report a post, I get this message too. However, I can then go on the the reporting form by either:

1) Hitting the "Try again" button on the error page.
    2) Hitting the back button, then forward button on my browser.
    3) Reloading the error page.

I am using Firefox 54.0.1 (32-bit) on a PC laptop.

It worked! Thanks Bomega! I just hit the "try again" button and it went through.

Leave a Comment