Dyeing my hair.

ShaniceTShaniceT Registered Users Posts: 2
I just recently cut pretty much all my hair off and I want to dye it a light blonde with the shea moisture dye pack. Would dyeing it slow down my hair growth??

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Dyeing your hair will not interfere with how fast your hair grows. Your hair will grow the same rate as it would if you didn't color it.
    However, coloring or bleaching your hair does damage the hair. Depending on the severity of the damage done, the ends can snap off and make it look like your hair is not growing, but you should be able to know the rate of growth by your roots.
    Best of luck!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I second what BrittanyM wrote. I dye my hair with regular drugstore dye so I'm very careful to condition it and deep condition once a week. Curl Junkie makes a very good deep condition called "Curl Rehab" in case you would like a suggestion.

What color is your hair to start? If it is darker than a light brown, you won't be able to dye it a light blonde without stripping it first. That is much more damaging to the hair then just dyeing it. If you need to strip out the darker color in order to get light blonde I really suggest getting it done the first time in a beauty salon where they have experience. I did go light blonde once and my medium brown hair had to be "stripped" first of the brown and then the light blonde applied and it turned to straw. Think about it. :thumright:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • ShaniceTShaniceT Registered Users Posts: 2
    Ok so I don't want to strip my hair. The original color of my hair is pretty much the black of black. So I'm guessing if I go with a brown then that would be good cause then I wouldn't need to strip anything and I can continue to deep condition my hair once a week??
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, that sounds like a good plan. Believe me, stripping your hair will turn it into a broom. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • stream26stream26 Registered Users Posts: 40 Curl Neophyte
    Dying your hair will not affect your hair's natural growth. However if you do decide to go lighter & use bleach, it may cause breakage in the hair that may cause it to seem as though your hair is growing slower.

I suggest you use an intense deep conditioning treatment one week before & one week after the dying process & you should be fine.
    Also stay away from blowdryers/ironing/crimping/hot curlers/straightening/teasing/backcombing. Try and wear your hairstylezz up to protect the delicate ends.
    Beautiful-Messy-Mohawk-650x650.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file