Pibbs hair dryer - anyone have this?

curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
I just spent over $300 on this hair dryer. This isn't a review because I haven't received it yet. I'm just so tired of drying my hair (either in the curly state or in a roller set) with a hand dryer and this Pibbs got terrific reviews. I'd like to hear from anyone who has it. Now I have to figure out where in my small NYC apt. I can stash it. Wish me luck!!!
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    bumping - hoping to get a response. Anyone?
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,358 Curl Connoisseur
    never heard of it, but found some old threads on it. i don't see myself spending the money on it, but i am very curious about it.

it seems that the upward flow would rectify what my hair hates about hooded dryers -- makes my hair flat, lifeless.

let us know what you think of it.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    Thanks for responding, RBB!

I actually got it because my stylist recommended that I get a bonnet dryer. In winter, I cannot do a curly style. I don't have time to re-wet it each a.m. and it gets squashed flat under hats so I do roller sets and they take forever to dry. I did quake at the idea of spending all that $$$ but I'm hoping it will be worth it.

I tried a soft bonnet dryer before and disliked it. The reviews on this from several sites are very encouraging. I'll update later on.

How are things with you? Glad you are still on the boards.
    hi cp! i was wondering how a soft bonnet would do. i remember very far back in the day having a soft bonnet hair dryer. of course i only used it with very large rollers in my hair, but was wondering what it would be like to dry it natural with a soft bonnet. not that i have one anymore. but i would purchase one to go onto my blow dryer. which i use so rarely, maybe once a year. but would so love to find something that would dry my hair more quickly. i don't wash every day and love the extra time it gives me in the morning, not waiting for my hair to dry. but i would love to have a way to dry it more quickly so i don't have to plan it out.
    let me know how the pibbs works.

i am still on the boards, but waaaaayyyy less than a few years ago, even couple of years ago. it is os annoying to try to post anything here. plus, it's so very different. i no longer recommend this site to any new curlies i meet as there is so much incorrect info on here, i.e., the crazy articles.

I had a soft bonnet years ago but I didn't like it. I kept feeling like it was flimsy, too hot on the back of neck, kind of loud, etc. I wish I liked it - lots of people seem to use one successfully.

I haven't used the Pibbs yet. I did try sitting under it. It won't work for when I wear my hear curly because it blows up, so the hair would fly up. It should work well for rollers - it came with a hair net. Mostly, although it seems very well made, it is huge!!! It's kind of an eyesore in my small apt - I have to keep it in my bedroom because it won't fit elsewhere. Oh well, if it does the job, it will be worth it. I'll keep you updated.

I really mourn that our website is just a shadow of what it used to be. Any ideas to revitalize it? I miss people! This was such a resource - not only for hair. I'm really glad you are still around.
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I haven't used the Pibbs yet. I did try sitting under it. It won't work for when I wear my hear curly because it blows up, so the hair would fly up. It should work well for rollers - it came with a hair net. Mostly, although it seems very well made, it is huge!!! It's kind of an eyesore in my small apt - I have to keep it in my bedroom because it won't fit elsewhere. Oh well, if it does the job, it will be worth it. I'll keep you updated.

I really mourn that our website is just a shadow of what it used to be. Any ideas to revitalize it? I miss people! This was such a resource - not only for hair. I'm really glad you are still around.

i know it blows the air upward and was wondering how that would make hair loosely drying look? probably much like a blow dryer if you used it on your head upside down?

nothing to be done about this website -- it is sold. it is no longer run by curly-haired women who got the curly hair thing, it is run by a corporation wanting to make money, no other reason. in fact, i picture them in meetings talking about our complaints in curltalk, rolling their eyes and laughing.

what will be interesting is seeing how it does as a shopping website selling products for something they know nothing about except as pure research/reports, haven't a clue what it is like to be a curly person who wants curly hair. if the prices are right, then i guess they will make a bundle.

Wow - it's been sold - that's why it turned to crap. What a shame.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure the Pibbs can be used for regular curly styles. I used it once so far for a roller set and I was very happy with the result. If I do a roller set and let it air dry it takes 4-5 hours. With a hand held dryer, which is very tiring, it takes over an hour. With the Pibbs it was dry on a very low heat setting in 40 minutes.

I usually only do curly hair when the weather is warm so it dries quickly or if I use a hand held dryer and diffuser, I don't dry it all the way - just about 80% and then I let it air dry. When I wear my hair curly I have to rewet it every day so sometimes I just prefer a roller set so that I don't have to mess around with it for a few days. It would be great if the Pibbs could dry curly hair - if it can't, that is a definite drawback. I wonder what a curly do would look like if I put a net over it and then used the Pibbs. Maybe I'll experiment one day.

Meanwhile, RBB, how are you doing? Is it hot weather where you are and what products are you using? How frustrating that our website was sold.
    i answered this but i don't know where it went. so here goes again --

yes, it was sold a few years ago. i hate losing this site but have to admire the business savvy of michele and gretchen.

my summer routine just includes gels on a more consistent basis, primarily, cj aloe fix. my hair loves the stuff. i always use a leave in with it as my hair is very porous and needs constant hydration, then a bit of jc n&s to seal it.

sometimes i add the gel after i blot my hair, most times i wait til it's just about dry, then add the gel. my cooler weather routine uses honey butta as a styler and i sometimes still use it. and sometimes no gel, or sometimes gel on top. but i have to be careful as it can get overconditioned if i use too much of both. most days it looks great. and i always get 2nd day \hair. could get 3rd day hair but i feel like in warmer weather my head is too sweaty to go 3 days. it does save sooo much time on the days i don't wash. and in winter i oftentimes will go 3 days.

do you change your routine for summer?

Hi RBB, yes there is a big difference in my winter/summer routines. In winter I usually do rollers sets because my curls either get blown to kingdom come or I need to wear a tight hat which squashes them. Also, I often don't have time in the winter to re-wet my hair every morning and go through the whole routine. That's basically why I bought the Pibbs which has been working amazingly for my roller sets. i can dry my quite wet hair in 30-40 mins on a very low, almost cool heat setting. My hair comes out shiny and healthy looking!

In summer I can wear it curly which I still prefer. I don't have to wear a hat and the warm weather dries it nicely. I'm actually looking forward to warmer weather so that I can wear it curly. For conditioners I use Deva One Condition, Curl Junkie Beauticurls, Curl Junkie Rehab sort of on rotation or a little bit of all three. They are all good for my hair. For stylers I use KCCC, Curlisto Lotion Plus or Ouidad Climate Control (which doesn't have glycerin so perfect for high dews).

I'm so glad you and a few other old friends are still active on this website. I keep hoping it can be resuscitated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file