Got2be Spiking Glue...what makes this product SO hard?

ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
What makes this product SO dang hard if over-applied? I know the simple answer: I see the polymers, yes. I see that pretty much all the ingredients that make up polyquat 69 are in there, and they're all in the top 5. However, there are lots of other gels out there that contain polyquat 69 plus copolymers and do they also get the same literal rock hard gel cast if applied to the hair just as they are? I have to mix this with my LA Looks. Like, a small pea size or less amount of got2be to a palmful LA Looks or lemme tell you, I will be regretting it. What is it about this particular gel that gets so stinkin hard, and do others get that hard, like the BRHG? Does Jessicurls Spiralicous? The Deva Frizz Free Volumizing Foam has polyquat 69 doesnt it? How does it not get rock hard?

Heres the Got2be ingredients:
Water, Vp/Va Copolymer, Pvp, Vinyl Caprolactam/Vp/Dimethylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Petrolatum, Propylene Glycol, Tricontanyl Pvp, Vp/Dmapa Acrylates Copolymer, Cetearyl Alcohol, Dicetyl Phosphate, Ceteth-10 Phosphate, Cetyl Alcohol, Steareth-21, Stearyl Alcohol, Corn Starch Modified, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Peg-8 Beeswax, Disodium Edta, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Dmdm Hydantoin, Fragrance.
CG since 11/2014
Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
Low density, very coarse, high porosity
Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
Protein: Hask Keratin
Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Good question. Maybe post it on the Science-y Hair Blog? I have posted questions there and often get a response within a day or two. This one seems like it would be right up her alley.

The only guess I can hazard is that there is no glycerin in it. I don't know whether the other gels you mention have glyerin. I remember reading on the Science-y Hair Blog that glycerin helps gels not become rock hard.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Good question. Maybe post it on the Science-y Hair Blog? I have posted questions there and often get a response within a day or two. This one seems like it would be right up her alley.

The only guess I can hazard is that there is no glycerin in it. I don't know whether the other gels you mention have glyerin. I remember reading on the Science-y Hair Blog that glycerin helps gels not become rock hard.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • WavycatWavycat Posts: 325Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Honestly! I was just getting ready to give this away. Now I'm going to have to put it aside and mix it with a gel and see what happens. Good grief, some days I just can't give stuff away.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wavycat wrote: »
    Honestly! I was just getting ready to give this away. Now I'm going to have to put it aside and mix it with a gel and see what happens. Good grief, some days I just can't give stuff away.

Ha! I hear ya. The junkie in me rears it's head juuuust when I think I've gained full control. I've mixed too much and too little of this stuff, for me the happy medium is hard to find.
    CG since 11/2014
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • WavycatWavycat Posts: 325Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had no business reading this thread. I had this in a pile ready to give away. But I did read it and I did pull it back out. I got a bagful of products that someone else didn't want and one of them was a Pantene Gel level 2...ha ha ha. I have only met 3 gels that were somewhat ok so I just laughed at this gel. But then the Spiking Glue got in my head. I mixed them together and Holy Cow! Even if my curls fall out within an hour it won't matter. I have such minimal frizz I'm amazed. I know I will always have frizz, I accept it. But this cut it down so dramatically that I can't stress enough how much I love it already.
    I must warn you that I am the kiss of death to products. thoosday you should stock up on it because it's just a matter of time before it gets reformulated or discontinued. I'm sorry I love it and I hope it's not a fluke. Thanks for mentioning this. Long live Got2Be Spiking Glue
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wavycat wrote: »
    I had no business reading this thread. I had this in a pile ready to give away. But I did read it and I did pull it back out. I got a bagful of products that someone else didn't want and one of them was a Pantene Gel level 2...ha ha ha. I have only met 3 gels that were somewhat ok so I just laughed at this gel. But then the Spiking Glue got in my head. I mixed them together and Holy Cow! Even if my curls fall out within an hour it won't matter. I have such minimal frizz I'm amazed. I know I will always have frizz, I accept it. But this cut it down so dramatically that I can't stress enough how much I love it already.
    I must warn you that I am the kiss of death to products. thoosday you should stock up on it because it's just a matter of time before it gets reformulated or discontinued. I'm sorry I love it and I hope it's not a fluke. Thanks for mentioning this. Long live Got2Be Spiking Glue

I'm really glad you found a way to use it. I tried to dilute it with water alone, and that did not seem to help any. I've only had luck mixing with another gel. I really wish I could find something between the hard hold gel and the spiking glue. Today I used ALOT of LALooks on its own and it just could not withstand the dew point. So, I'll keep trying to find that perfect mix ratio.
    There's also an off brand that is pretty much identical to the spiking glue. I've seen it right beside the real product on the shelf at Walgreens. It's a dollar or so cheaper, but honestly the real deal is not that expensive.
    CG since 11/2014