Help a newbie decide on a starting routine, please

KeeyamahKeeyamah Registered Users Posts: 209 Curl Connoisseur
I know I'm some kind of type 2 and have been trying to figure out my porosity and density the last couple days. As near as I can figure, based on the cup test and previous experience with chemicals (trying to dye my hair, or perm it) that I have low porosity, fine, medium to medium-high density hair. The density comes from the fact that my hair is shoulder length and takes hours to completely dry, even in the warm (88F for a high) dry (average humidity is around 50% here all year, thought it was drier than that, learn something new every day) weather we had here yesterday.

So I know I'm gonna need "lighter" products, but I haven't exactly been able to figure out what that means. To start off with, I'm looking at the low-cost Walgreens, Target, etc items. I've been looking at this list a lot: https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/home/10-drugstore-finds-that-follow-the-curly-girl-method/ but it doesn't break it down by what's good for different porosity and such.

TYIA for any and all help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

Comments

• JN987JN987 Registered Users Posts: 5
    My hair is similar, low porosity and fine. I know many of the Shea products are too heavy and moisturizing for my hair. I have used the Suave Tropical coconut and liked that. The gels that are too moisturizing are too heavy for my hair. I haven't tried any of the gels on the list. I have the Kinky Curly as a hard hold gel. I haven't found a lighter hold gel yet because the other one I tried so far was too oily. I am only about 3 months into this.
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I don't have much experience with drugstore products (I usually buy salon), but when something is "lighter," that usually means that it has more water-based ingredients (as opposed to oils) at the top of the ingredients list. I would look for something with water and some fatty alcohols in the first few ingredients, as opposed to something listing coconut oil and shea butter at the very top.

If your hair is low porosity, I would start checking into how it reacts to protein. Low-porosity hair can be protein sensitive, although people with fine hair can sometimes get away with more protein. Low-po hair generally tolerates keratin and silk proteins best, but it depends on the hair. How your hair reacts to protein is something that takes a while to figure out, so it's just something for you to watch for as you try different products.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I don't have much experience with drugstore products (I usually buy salon), but when something is "lighter," that usually means that it has more water-based ingredients (as opposed to oils) at the top of the ingredients list. I would look for something with water and some fatty alcohols in the first few ingredients, as opposed to something listing coconut oil and shea butter at the very top.

If your hair is low porosity, I would start checking into how it reacts to protein. Low-porosity hair can be protein sensitive, although people with fine hair can sometimes get away with more protein. Low-po hair generally tolerates keratin and silk proteins best, but it depends on the hair. How your hair reacts to protein is something that takes a while to figure out, so it's just something for you to watch for as you try different products.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Registered Users Posts: 209 Curl Connoisseur
    That definition of lighter products definitely makes sense (as I think back to all of my chemistry and biology classes in college and high school).

Of course I didn't see these replies until after I'd gone shopping, lol. But I got the TreSemme, Shea moisture, and Herbal Essences Totally Twisted (listed with/under the other Herbal one on the list I posted). Since I did read them before I used them 😄, I used the TreSemme as co-wash and rinse-out, with a small amount of the Shea when I did my rinse out. As I've been reading through stuff, I may have to think about adding an ACV rinse, we have very hard water (made things fun while cloth diapering babies) and no water filter/softener. But I'll see how things go.

And photos just cause I wanna share them ☺️😄

My hair yesterday, washed it the day before with my old, not CG shampoo and conditioner and brushed out

E06FB32A-908C-4B64-B2B0-EEA35BB34039_zpsot49xieq.jpg

EF55DB07-28E3-4507-A42C-A2D6CD139E32_zpsoqyrawti.jpg

C3E97AB1-6495-4F13-81F2-47902090CDF3_zpsyof1ants.jpg

FB298AB1-08BA-45CA-A938-8B89A8DD467B_zpsutnyt0vj.jpg

After shower

B434F8AA-6384-4999-BD8B-64587C1FF6A1_zpsakrwmkun.jpg

1097AFEE-92DB-4168-BEFE-34D4E300FE9C_zpsyl6nenxw.jpg

B6E08ED3-24B7-4809-B0A7-4503AA5225A2_zps8lr5dlsd.jpg

11BDA737-ED1E-494E-BE58-92E961C1E3A3_zpsqouu4ngw.jpg

After driving in a hot car two hours round trip to take husband his lunch box (so it surprisingly almost completely dry, but I don't turn on my AC much)

A35A1CCD-6EFE-4232-8DEF-CEBB7841DD08_zpsgutftnhm.jpg

19BC5EAA-B274-42E9-9B8E-F269F3559E39_zpsaghrph3m.jpg

8A0630EA-63EE-464F-96AA-277891389EA2_zpszeayprkz.jpg

7EED94A8-06F7-4E95-8E8B-8A93D57DCC64_zps0hdu6vet.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file