How to get a mousse to work?

Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Posts: 124Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Where I live is very difficult to find CG friendly products and even more difficult to get products for curly hair.
I was able to find a curling cream, but they took it out of the market. So at the moment I'm only using a medium hold gel and coconut oil to style.
I bought John Frieda, Frizz ease mousse thinking it would be a good replacement for the gel since I need a stronger hold and more definition. I tried twice, the first time I applied coconut oil and then the mousse. I got volume, some definition but dry hair. On the second time I decided not to use anything, just wash and condition and apply the mousse, I got some definition and volume but as the day went by it became puffy undefined and extremely dry to the point I had to straighten it until next wash day.
I hate to think that I have wasted money, so I would like to know how do I make it work? would mixing gel and mousse work? or curl cream and mousse?
I have 2c thick and coarse hair that is chin length at the moment. I let air dry my hair then diffuse.
I'm using a all natural shampoo made of oregano, nettle and aloe vera and for the conditioner just aloe vera and lavender. My hair feels soft and hydrated but can loose definition over time, so I use a sulfate free shampoo with oils and protein every 2 weeks.
2c, dense and coarse hair.

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    You could try layering your gel over the mousse.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • la_ninonla_ninon Posts: 118Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am new to CG, but have mostly 2C hair and am using mousse as my primary styling product at the moment. I apply it after conditioning to wet hair and then scrunch in a microfiber towel. After a combination of air drying and diffusing, I scrunch out any crispiness with an emollient cream product and finish with a volumizing spray.
    Lo Poo: MOP Hydrating Shampoo
    Leave-Ins: CJ Beauticurls, Briogeo Rosarco Spray
    Rinse-Outs: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine
    Stylers: L'Oreal Out of Bed Texturizer, Bumble & Bumble Bb. Gel, Yarok Hair Whip, Davines Volu Spray
    Treatments: ACV rinse, CJ Curl Rehab, caffeine solution spray

2C-3A, fine, low-medium porosity, low-medium density, sensitive scalp, protein-sensitive
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I use a leave-in and then curl cream in sopping wet hair, blot dry then put mousse in, seems to work for me. I sometimes have to put a little bit of gel (aloe vera) over the top if the mousse doesn't have enough hold (I can't find a decent mousse these days).
    3b in South Australia.
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    As Therese1 said, layering the gel over the mousse may be your best bet. I have tried several mousses, and none of them provided any hold whatsoever. I just dont think that mousse products can stand up against coarse hair. I have a hard time getting even a hard hold gel to hold in some sections. But mousse on its own couldnt stand a chance.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Posts: 124Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ttoosday wrote: »
    As Therese1 said, layering the gel over the mousse may be your best bet. I have tried several mousses, and none of them provided any hold whatsoever. I just dont think that mousse products can stand up against coarse hair. I have a hard time getting even a hard hold gel to hold in some sections. But mousse on its own couldnt stand a chance.

Thanks, does the order of the products matter? Well I have used mousse in the past, I used the got2b and it worked well for sometime.
    One more question, how do I know if a gel will work? I found one, read the ingredients I saw it has protein in it, couldn't figure out the rest of the ingredients, since it was in Italian. I'm pretty sure it is not CG friendly but out of curiosity I tried a bit on dry and brush out hair, and when the gel dried it left my hair soft and my flat curl revived. Would it be a wise choice to get it?
    Thanks for your replies I will try the suggestions and see what works best on my hair.
    Generally, you use lighter-hold products first and then hard-hold ones last. I think this is because the hard-hold products create more of a barrier against the environment.

In short, yes, you will get different results if you change the order of the products. You will also get a different result if you cocktail products (mix them together). You just have to experiment and find what works. If the mousse still seems to be a fail, I would hold on to it until the dew points change and then try it again. I have often had it happen that a product that is a colossal flop in one dew point is a holy grail in another.

If the Italian gel seems to work, it's worth a shot. Some people's hair actually does better with silicones. It really depends on the hair. Finding out what works on your hair involves a lot of trial and error. Many of us have product graveyards that are larger than we would like to admit.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Generally, you use lighter-hold products first and then hard-hold ones last. I think this is because the hard-hold products create more of a barrier against the environment.

In short, yes, you will get different results if you change the order of the products. You will also get a different result if you cocktail products (mix them together). You just have to experiment and find what works. If the mousse still seems to be a fail, I would hold on to it until the dew points change and then try it again. I have often had it happen that a product that is a colossal flop in one dew point is a holy grail in another.

If the Italian gel seems to work, it's worth a shot. Some people's hair actually does better with silicones. It really depends on the hair. Finding out what works on your hair involves a lot of trial and error. Many of us have product graveyards that are larger than we would like to admit.
    I gave it a try applying gel first and then the mousse, air dry and diffuse. The difference from my usual results was that when drying I saw more definition and harder cast, but when diffusing it didn't seem to change (usually my hair gets curlier when I diffuse) and the result was almost the same just a bit more define, more movement and more volume. But as the day went by and my hair dried completely (I only diffuse until 90% dry), it got puffy and frizzier. The thing with dew points is we get here dry cold and dry hot, but I will keep it and use it when it gets more humid.
    I do wonder if any of this ingredients would be drying: "Water, Isobutane, VP/Methacrylamide/Vinyl Imidazole Co-Polymer, Polyquaternium-46, Propane, Panthenol, Laureth-3, Ceteareth-25, Cocotrimonium Methosulfate, Benzophenone-4, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance"

Thanks again for all your helpful replies :)
    I gave it a try applying gel first and then the mousse, air dry and diffuse. The difference from my usual results was that when drying I saw more definition and harder cast, but when diffusing it didn't seem to change (usually my hair gets curlier when I diffuse) and the result was almost the same just a bit more define, more movement and more volume. But as the day went by and my hair dried completely (I only diffuse until 90% dry), it got puffy and frizzier. The thing with dew points is we get here dry cold and dry hot, but I will keep it and use it when it gets more humid.
    I do wonder if any of this ingredients would be drying: "Water, Isobutane, VP/Methacrylamide/Vinyl Imidazole Co-Polymer, Polyquaternium-46, Propane, Panthenol, Laureth-3, Ceteareth-25, Cocotrimonium Methosulfate, Benzophenone-4, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance"

Thanks again for all your helpful replies :)
    A person really needs a chemistry degree to keep up with all these chemicals and what they do. I used to use products as natural as I could come by, but I wasn't getting the results I wanted with my hair (our weather varies greatly from winter to summer, and I was tired of my hair looking yucky most of the year). So I'm heading out into Chemical Land, and it's frightening because you have no clue what does what!
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Therese1 wrote: »
    A person really needs a chemistry degree to keep up with all these chemicals and what they do. I used to use products as natural as I could come by, but I wasn't getting the results I wanted with my hair (our weather varies greatly from winter to summer, and I was tired of my hair looking yucky most of the year). So I'm heading out into Chemical Land, and it's frightening because you have no clue what does what!

I went through that for awhile, before ditching most products altogether (now, I only use one you use, the IN hairspray). You may already know about it, but there's a website that lists ingredient hazards. There is much we don't know, but some we do know, and it may help. Skin Deep® Cosmetics Database | EWG

FWIW one of the artificial ingredients my hair liked better than others was polyquat 69. It was better than the other polyquats, and even PVP, in terms of not leaving as much buildup (for me anyway). One down, millions more chemicals to go, eh?

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    naturecat wrote: »
    Therese1 wrote: »

I went through that for awhile, before ditching most products altogether (now, I only use one you use, the IN hairspray). You may already know about it, but there's a website that lists ingredient hazards. There is much we don't know, but some we do know, and it may help. Skin Deep® Cosmetics Database | EWG

FWIW one of the artificial ingredients my hair liked better than others was polyquat 69. It was better than the other polyquats, and even PVP, in terms of not leaving as much buildup (for me anyway). One down, millions more chemicals to go, eh?

I did that too. Then decided to ditch products and use one main product which is GVP Conditioning Balm. The reason I'm using it is because so far it's the conditioner which the least amount of ingredients in it, especially protein and glycerin. I posted in my thread that I didn't even use a cleanser on today's wash day.

If I were to give advice on someone starting out with CG I would suggest starting out with products with the least amount of ingredients and work from there. Then carefully see what your hair needs. Many people starting out start with Deva products. If you're a wavy then one might start out with the Delight line. Then as a styler maybe B'Leave In. If you're using the Delight low poo and conditioner and B'Leave In then that's a lot of protein. If you're starting out with that it might not work. You might get protein over load and it's not the product that's bad it's your hair doesn't need the ingredients.

I say if you're starting out start out as raw as possible. And if you're having issues and have been doing this for a bit, stop everything and go raw. Let the crap get out of your hair. A hair analysis can help but..: Then keep a close eye on your hair to see what it needs and ask questions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file