When the HG Stops Working??

RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 182Registered Users Curl Novice
I was very fortunate to find early on that Sally's GVPCB did a fantastic job of moisturizing my coarse, dry hair. I've used it for almost a year and a half for my daily RO and also mix it with EVOO for a weekly DC. However, lately it seems to be failing. My hair - never really soft unless I flat ironed it - is now crispy both to the look and touch. :(

I haven't changed anything else, and the GVPCB worked last summer, so I have no idea what's going on. Any recommendations for a super-hydrating, emollient conditioner (without protein or coconut) to replace it?
2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    cj honey butta has been great in my hair for several months. i do use a little bit of curl rehab first, then the honey butta. i can even apply it on dry hair. very emollient and very moisturizing.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Rafterbat- I also noticed a sudden stark difference in GVP recently. I'd been using it over 2 years on every wash day. When I experimented with removing it from my routine, I thought I could tell a slight difference in softness. I don't know what happened unless a slight change in ingredient percentages occurred in a huge batch, or maybe they changed the formula altogether but I don't think they did. Removing it didn't necessarily affect my results in a bad way, so I was fine not replacing that step in my routine.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 182Registered Users Curl Novice
    ttoosday, very interesting. My inner conspiracy theorist says of course the formula could change!
    rbb, my list of CJ products to order next month just keeps getting longer and longer! :)
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
    you do realize that today and until noon EDT tomorrow is the curl junkie semi-annual sale. it is posted under 'what's new' on her website. i just placed my order.

rbb wrote: »
    you do realize that today and until noon EDT tomorrow is the curl junkie semi-annual sale. it is posted under 'what's new' on her website. i just placed my order.
    Sigh, yes. I had planned to order when I had more money, but couldn't pass up the sale. Of course, at 25% off I ended up getting Repair Me, Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner, Curl Assurance Smoothing Conditioner, Pattern Pusha, and Curl Enhancing Spray. Curl (Product!)Junkie indeed!
    i always want to try the curl enhancing spray. i bought it once many years ago and loved it, and since then the formula has changed, i think making it more moisturizing.

didn't order it as i wanted to stock up on the staples for me --curl rehab, repair me, aloe fix gel, gentle shampoo, deep fix....... i try to do that at both sales and it usually takes me thru til next one, with maybe one or two tiny orders from curl mart (or used to be aveyou). and $$$ adds up, even as i know i am saving money, but then i don't want to buy an "un-staple." maybe next time. have you used it before? do you like it? you are making me want to try it again. i remember how great it smelled and how moisturizing it was.... i should have ordered it. :cry:

P.S. I was on a roll checking out (and buying!) everything but just realized that I didn't see the Honey Butta offered on the site. Huh.
    it was there, i bought some -- my hair loves the stuff!

i was afraid i would overlook something so this morning went thru all the sections making a list......

it's in the styling products section even tho it is a leave in. it is very curl enhancing so i guess that is why.

sending you a PM