Warmer, drier weather and curls are weak. What can I do?

la_ninonla_ninon Registered Users Posts: 118 Curl Neophyte
I assume this has to do with dew point, but I can't seem to get my head around the concept. Should I change my products/routine? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Lo Poo: MOP Hydrating Shampoo
Leave-Ins: CJ Beauticurls, Briogeo Rosarco Spray
Rinse-Outs: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine
Stylers: L'Oreal Out of Bed Texturizer, Bumble & Bumble Bb. Gel, Yarok Hair Whip, Davines Volu Spray
Treatments: ACV rinse, CJ Curl Rehab, caffeine solution spray

2C-3A, fine, low-medium porosity, low-medium density, sensitive scalp, protein-sensitive

Comments

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    la_ninon wrote: »
    I presume this has to do with dew point, but I can't seem to get my head around the concept. Should I change my products/routine? Thanks in advance for any advice!

it has everything to do with the dew point. once it drops to below 40, then you need to avoid using humectants in your products (glyercin is the main one) as they will pull moisture from your hair as there isn't enough moisture in the air. hence, flat, lifeless hair.

just to confuse us, sometimes glycerin is ok, it all depends on the formulation. for example, curl junkie cccc is great in very low dews, as is curl junkie honey butta. most of the time, tho, i'd say avoid products with it in the first 5 ingredients.

i am not familiar with the products you use, so i can't comment on them.

also, sealing will help keep your moisture in. some hair likes oils, some butters. and always start with a tiny amount.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • la_ninonla_ninon Registered Users Posts: 118 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks so much, RBB--this is really helpful. I'm actually not happy with some of the styling products listed in my signature--I'm waiting to receive Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper, and Re:Coil and hope at least one of them will work better for me! Because my hair is fine and easily overwhelmed, emollient products can be tricky. KM Easy Rider is quite rich and is more of a finishing product. I see that CH CCCC is available in a light version...I might try that. I'm also interested in MOP C-System Curl C-Curl Defining Cream, which might fit the bill.

Again, thank you!
    Rinse-Outs: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine
    Stylers: L'Oreal Out of Bed Texturizer, Bumble & Bumble Bb. Gel, Yarok Hair Whip, Davines Volu Spray

2C-3A, fine, low-medium porosity, low-medium density, sensitive scalp, protein-sensitive
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    In drier weather, I switch to a heavier rinse-out conditioner (one with more oils listed in the first ingredients) and I use a leave-in that is more oil based. Last winter, when the dews were low, I also experimented a bit with LCO layering (leave-in, curl cream, oil). Most people do LOC, but low-porosity curlies are said to do better with LCO.

In the past, I have had pretty good success with the Alaffia Beautiful Curls gel for wavy hair in very low dews. I think that it is protein free. It made my hair greasy in moderate dews, though.

Last winter, I used Curl Junkie Smoothing Daily Conditioner and Beauticurls leave-in (both are protein free; for Beauticurls, there are two versions, I think, so make sure you get the protein-free one if you want to try it).
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    In drier weather, I switch to a heavier rinse-out conditioner (one with more oils listed in the first ingredients) and I use a leave-in that is more oil based. Last winter, when the dews were low, I also experimented a bit with LCO layering (leave-in, curl cream, oil). Most people do LOC, but low-porosity curlies are said to do better with LCO.

In the past, I have had pretty good success with the Alaffia Beautiful Curls gel for wavy hair in very low dews. I think that it is protein free. It made my hair greasy in moderate dews, though.

Last winter, I used Curl Junkie Smoothing Daily Conditioner and Beauticurls leave-in (both are protein free; for Beauticurls, there are two versions, I think, so make sure you get the protein-free one if you want to try it).
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Thanks so much, Therese! This approach is interesting--I used my emollient finishing product more liberally yesterday and it definitely perked up my curls. I went ahead and ordered the Beauticurls. Thanks again!

I'm so glad that your curls are looking better. I know that when my hair looks good, it does a lot for my mood.

I think the idea of using more oil-based products in low dews has to do with sealing. The water will want to leave your hair and be drawn into the dry environment, but having more oils on your hair will slow the water loss.
    I'm so glad that your curls are looking better. I know that when my hair looks good, it does a lot for my mood.

I think the idea of using more oil-based products in low dews has to do with sealing. The water will want to leave your hair and be drawn into the dry environment, but having more oils on your hair will slow the water loss.
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Thanks so much, RBB--this is really helpful. I'm actually not happy with some of the styling products listed in my signature--I'm waiting to receive Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper, and Re:Coil and hope at least one of them will work better for me! Because my hair is fine and easily overwhelmed, emollient products can be tricky. KM Easy Rider is quite rich and is more of a finishing product. I see that CH CCCC is available in a light version...I might try that. I'm also interested in MOP C-System Curl C-Curl Defining Cream, which might fit the bill.

Again, thank you!
    Hi LaNinon, Are you still using that L'Oreal Ruffled Body Mousse in your signature line? That has silicones in it, so you might need to go back to using your sulfate shampoo until you switch off that mousse. Incidentally, I know you said that using more KM Easy Rider helped but the mineral oil and petrolatum will build up over time. These might be why you had more dryness when you started using the Alaffia shampoo. Especially the mousse. It wasn't until I gave up 'cones that I really realized what an adverse affect they had on my hair.

I'm also looking forward to your results with PatternPusha too. BTW, Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper, and AG Re:Coil all look pretty good, but AG Re: Coil does have protein, so if you are protein-sensitive, you might have to use this sparingly.

If you need a resource to check ingredients, when I google, between Ulta and MakeupAlley, I find almost every product (for some reason, a lot of actual manufacturers don't list the full ingredients list on their website.)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    Hi Bomega,

Thanks so much for your post. I am usually so good about scouring ingredients lists, but I totally forgot to check the mousse. I will cut it out--I want to go 'cone free for several months so I can properly evaluate the results. I didn't know that MO and petrolatum could cause build-up; I might try replacing the Easy Rider with MOP C-Curl Defining Cream. I am liking Re:Coil so far and seem to do fine with silk amino acids and keratin, but I will keep an eye on things. It is quite hydrating, so I am finding that I need very little. I haven't figured out how to use Pattern Pusha or Curl Keeper yet. Both have light-moderate hold, which isn't a great match for my fine hair and weak curl pattern.

ETA: In reviewing the mousse ingredients, I believe the only silicones are water-soluble. Hmmm.

• StephC79StephC79 Registered Users Posts: 99 Curl Connoisseur
    Hi La_Ninon, the mousse contains amodimethicone which isn't water soluble. It is a special silicone that doesn't build up on itself but it does deposit a layer of itself into your hair and has to be shampoo'd out. A lot of Curlier use it with no problems but if you want to go full CG friendly then you may want to cut out the mousse for now.
    3A with tight ringlet underlayer.
    Mixed porosity, medium texture and density.

Cleaner - Shea Moisture fruit fusion shampoo, Maui Moisture curl quench shampoo, cleansing conditioner.
    Conditioner - L'Oreal Botanicals safflower conditioner.
    P/T - Curl Junkie repair me
    D/T - Shea Moisture manuka honey or fruit fusion mask
    Styling - Paul Mitchell round trip, Paul Mitchell super sculpt glaze, Paul Mitchell sculpting foam.
    Hi StephC of the gorgeous red ringlets :)

Thanks so much for that explanation--I really appreciate it! I'll take a break from the mousse for now then.

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi Bomega,

Thanks so much for your post. I am usually so good about scouring ingredients lists, but I totally forgot to check the mousse. I will cut it out--I want to go 'cone free for several months so I can properly evaluate the results. I didn't know that MO and petrolatum could cause build-up; I might try replacing the Easy Rider with MOP C-Curl Defining Cream. I am liking Re:Coil so far and seem to do fine with silk amino acids and keratin, but I will keep an eye on things. It is quite hydrating, so I am finding that I need very little. I haven't figured out how to use Pattern Pusha or Curl Keeper yet. Both have light-moderate hold, which isn't a great match for my fine hair and weak curl pattern.

ETA: In reviewing the mousse ingredients, I believe the only silicones are water-soluble. Hmmm.
    Yeah, I've gotten used to reading ingredients lists because I'm vegetarian and gluten-free, so I'm already doing it at the grocery store. It can be a drag. There are several articles here on nc.com about identifying different silicones, but I found this list of water-soluable silicones at the Scieny Hairblog, which might help.

I have used the MOP C-System products before and liked them back then. My hair used to to really *love* silk protein, so I hope it works out. (Well, my hair doesn't mind silk protein, but I mind how it makes my hair limp now...I think it started after I started hennaing. But then my hair likes henna, so it was ok to give up silk protein.)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    I'm allergic to (almost) everything under the sun, so I feel you!

I *think* I tolerate silk protein and hydrolyzed keratin fairly well, but after using Re:Coil a few days in a row, my curls are starting to fall, so apparently I'll have to moderate my use of them too. Ugh, this is hard!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file