I frequently use sulfates and silicones - is that bad?

Hi All,

I tried CG a couple times a few years ago and it didn't make my hair worse, but it didn't make it any better either. I tried it for about 6 months I would say.

Now, I have been using sulfates and silicones everyday. I know this is terrible but I use a suave sulfate shampoo everyday! Then, I use Aussie or Herbal Essences conditioner with silicones. To style, I use a garnier fructis leave in with silicones and a suave mousse with silicones. I do this everyday and my hair is soft, bouncy, and moisturized. At least it appears so. My hair does not feel dry or damaged; it feels and looks healthy. I do get some frizz but not a lot.

My question is - is it so bad that I use all of these damaging products?! My hair seems healthy to me and sulfates and silicones work just fine for me. But I feel guilty for not doing CG or using more natural products because I'm afraid my hair could be unhealthy without me realizing. Should I switch to CG even if my hair seems healthy?

Also - Will using sulfates/silicones slow down hair growth? I really want my hair to grow longer.

Thank you!!

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    A lot of people with curly hair can handle the sulfates/silicones without negative effects. In fact many products promoted on nc.com have silicones. If it's working for you and you like it sure stick with it.

I'm not sure if sulfates/silicones are associated with limiting hair growth or not. I have found that avoiding them has helped my hair growth, but this is more related to using natural-type products have made my hair healthier and stronger, so I experience less dryness and breakage. However, I have to say the thing that has best improved my hair grown is an improved diet with a *lot* of dark leafy greens.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair is gorgeous! Every head of hair is different. If something is working for you, then it's working. If you want to try more natural haircare for the sake of your overall health or just to experiment with different methods you can, but your hair as is looks great.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Naturalbeauty1Naturalbeauty1 Posts: 4Registered Users
    You can certainly achieve the same results using natural products. To some degree the chemicals will have a negative effect on the health of your hair. I use the Bella Curls product line which leaves out chemicals like Sulfates, Phthalates, and Parabens. Definitely worth trying, you can find the whole line at target Target : Expect More. Pay Less.
  • la_ninonla_ninon Posts: 118Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Fwiw, a poster on another hair board recently argued that there are more gentle, effective surfactants available now than when Lorraine Massey's book was published, making the CG "rules" less absolute. I don't have enough information to say whether or not this is true, but I thought it was interesting.
    Lo Poo: MOP Hydrating Shampoo
    Leave-Ins: CJ Beauticurls, Briogeo Rosarco Spray
    Rinse-Outs: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine
    Stylers: L'Oreal Out of Bed Texturizer, Bumble & Bumble Bb. Gel, Yarok Hair Whip, Davines Volu Spray
    Treatments: ACV rinse, CJ Curl Rehab, caffeine solution spray

2C-3A, fine, low-medium porosity, low-medium density, sensitive scalp, protein-sensitive
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,387Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    La_ninon, I have heard that as well and would love some specifics.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file