Clarifying Once a Week Is it Good?

machermacher Posts: 1,012Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Up until a week ago I was clarifying my hair once a week mostly because I believe the Deva Frizz Free Volumizing Foam was causing build up. Then I would condition with GVP Conditioning Balm and style with the Deva Frizz Free Volumizing Foam.

I haven't used Deva Frizz Free Volumizing Foam in a week and haven't had the need to use any styling product since my hair is strong and hitting it with daily dose of water GVP Conditioning Balm mixture and adding uncut to my very ends.

Currently I don't think I have any build up or anything in my hair that would need clarifying. But I do want to cleanse my hair. Since this routine of clarifying once a week has been working I'm asking is it good or bad to clarify once a week or should I find a non clarifying shampoo? Thanks!

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,269Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    You will eventually need to clarify, because pretty much anything (including the GVP) can build up in your hair over time. But you might not need to clairfy as often. I would use a gentle, nonsulfate poo once a week to cleanse, and then a clarifying poo (sulfate or Kinky Curly Come Clean) maybe once a month.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • machermacher Posts: 1,012Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1 wrote: »
    You will eventually need to clarify, because pretty much anything (including the GVP) can build up in your hair over time. But you might not need to clairfy as often. I would use a gentle, nonsulfate poo once a week to cleanse, and then a clarifying poo (sulfate or Kinky Curly Come Clean) maybe once a month.

Thanks Therese. I've been using Ion Color Defense Clarifying Shanpoo.

https://www.sallybeauty.com/ion-color-defense-clarifying-shampoo/SBS-302315,default,pd.html

As you can see it says it's sulfate free and it's suppose to not strip away hair. So even if it's a clarifying poo according to the ingredients is it a bonafied clarifying poo? When I use it my hair feels somewhat stripped.

Thanks!
    Yes, it is a clarifying poo because it has C14-16 olefin sulfonate, which is a very strong detergent and gets rid of build-up. That is the cleaning agent in the Kinky Curly Come Clean shampoo. I know that C14-16 olefin sulfonate is mentioned on the Hair Science-y Blog if you want to read up on it.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Yes, it is a clarifying poo because it has C14-16 olefin sulfonate, which is a very strong detergent and gets rid of build-up. That is the cleaning agent in the Kinky Curly Come Clean shampoo. I know that C14-16 olefin sulfonate is mentioned on the Hair Science-y Blog if you want to read up on it.

Thanks! Since I'm having good results with the Ion Clarifying poo, I wonder if I can find a poo with no C14-16 that has similar ingredients if I could get similar results. I'm pretty apprehensive trying a gentle poo cause the ones I've been looking at have all these ingredients in it and don't want to mess too much cause my hair has been pretty healthy. But I know I need to find a gentle shampoo.
    Just my musings as of late...I wonder if someone who has healthy hair that is not terribly dry (it sounds like yours fits this category) could get away with using a salon sulfate shampoo. I think that a lot of higher-end sulfate shampoos are probably formulated with some moisturizing ingredients to counteract the effect of the sulfate.
    I might look into this once my hair is back on track.
    Just my musings as of late...I wonder if someone who has healthy hair that is not terribly dry (it sounds like yours fits this category) could get away with using a salon sulfate shampoo. I think that a lot of higher-end sulfate shampoos are probably formulated with some moisturizing ingredients to counteract the effect of the sulfate.
    I might look into this once my hair is back on track.

I would consider my hair generally healthy but it gets naturally damaged from the outside elements. I'm a guy as you know and never colored, straightened my hair or damaged it un-naturally.

I wouldn't mind using a high quality salon sulfate shampoo to be honest. Also I don't see any bad results using the Ion Color Clarifying shampoo but I know it's not a good idea to use it every 7 - 8 days. It sort of resets the routine. It makes my hair feel somewhat stripped and I only use a small amount then rinse it all out and after rinsing I continue to water wash. Then I counter it and detangle with GVP Conditioning Balm which goes through my hair like butter. So I'm thinking I don't need a salon sulfate shampoo that is moisturizing per se cause of following up with GVP Conditioning Balm. I just need something to cleanse if that makes sense. I'm concerned if I use a sulfate poo that's moisturizing it might be too much hydration with the GVP Conditioning Balm.
    Yes, I know what you mean about getting too much moisture. My hair can get easily overmoisturized, depending on the product. I feel like I can control the moisture better through conditioners, so having a shampoo that is also moisturizing can tip the scale too far in that direction.

If you decide to try a salon sulfate shampoo, do post and let us know what you're trying and how it works. As I said, I might be trying this route also. I am tired of how reactive my hair is to the elements and am thinking of trying more salon products to get more of a barrier against the humidity (or barrier against dryness, depending on the season), which means more polyquats and silicones, which will require stronger detergents to get them out. My hairdresser did tell me that the sulfate I use for clarifying (Bumble and Bumble Sunday shampoo) is not harsh and would be suitable for twice a week. That might be one to try if you want to check out using sulfates more frequently. It's protein free. The scent is unisex, IMO.
    Yes, I know what you mean about getting too much moisture. My hair can get easily overmoisturized, depending on the product. I feel like I can control the moisture better through conditioners, so having a shampoo that is also moisturizing can tip the scale too far in that direction.

If you decide to try a salon sulfate shampoo, do post and let us know what you're trying and how it works. As I said, I might be trying this route also. I am tired of how reactive my hair is to the elements and am thinking of trying more salon products to get more of a barrier against the humidity (or barrier against dryness, depending on the season), which means more polyquats and silicones, which will require stronger detergents to get them out. My hairdresser did tell me that the sulfate I use for clarifying (Bumble and Bumble Sunday shampoo) is not harsh and would be suitable for twice a week. That might be one to try if you want to check out using sulfates more frequently. It's protein free. The scent is unisex, IMO.

I did check out the B&B Sunday shampoo ingredients and I'm kind of apprehensive cause it has all these extracts.
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,352Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I recently clarified with VO5 Normal Shampoo, which is a sulfate shampoo with a pretty short ingredients list. If you were open to a sulfate shampoo this might work. A little goes a long way with this one, so you might need to dilute it.

I got a couple other ideas from the Sciency Hair Blog that might work for you: Johnson's Natural Baby Shampoo and Real Purity shampoo. You could also try shopping around shampoo bases from supply stores. There is a thread somewhere on nc.com listing various companies and the bases they use.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    Another thought - does Sally's GVP make the matching shampoo? If so, is that something that could work for you?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

bomega wrote: »
    Another thought - does Sally's GVP make the matching shampoo? If so, is that something that could work for you?

GVP I believe doesn't make a matching shampoo but Matrix does. I think it's going to be too moisturizing. I might try the VO5 I don't mind sulfates in a shampoo. I just want something lighter than the clarifying shampoo I'm using now. Thanks!
    macher wrote: »
    bomega wrote: »

GVP I believe doesn't make a matching shampoo but Matrix does. I think it's going to be too moisturizing. I might try the VO5 I don't mind sulfates in a shampoo. I just want something lighter than the clarifying shampoo I'm using now. Thanks!
    I just found this which says to compare to Matrix:
    GVP Hydrating Shampoo
    WATER ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,COCAMIDOPROPYL BETAINE ,SODIUM BENZOATE ,FRAGRANCE ,CITRIC ACID ,COCAMIDE MIPA ,HEXYLENE GLYCOL ,GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE ,GLYCOL DISTEARATE ,SALICYLIC ACID ,SODIUM CHLORIDE ,BISABOLOL ,ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE ,METHYL COCOATE ,SODIUM COCOATE ,PASSIFLORA EDULIS FRUIT EXTRACT ,GLYCERIN ,COUMARIN ,HYDROXYCITRONELLOL ,LINALOOL ,BENZYL ALCOHOL

It has glycerin in it though (I can't remember if you are avoiding glycerin) but in the shampoo it might be less of an issue. There is also the Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo, which looks similar, but has a shorter ingredients list. (Link is for Amazon, but it is available at Wal-mart.)

Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo
    Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, Fragrance, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, DMDM Hydantoin, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Propylene Glycol.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file