Deva products overrated?

sdkittysdkitty Posts: 360Registered Users Curl Novice
I use mostly drugstore products - Carols Daughter, L'Oreal, etc. I've resisted paying the price for Deva products. Recently I got a couple of samples and I thought "oh good, I can try this shampoo and conditioner and if it really makes a difference maybe I'll buy it."
These seem to be new Wavy products. I didn't notice any difference in my hair so I continue to believe they're not worth the price.
Anyone think they are?

Comments

• RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 182Registered Users Curl Novice
    It seems as though a lot of people start with Deva products for whatever reason, but as their confidence grows they move on to other lines.
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • sdkittysdkitty Posts: 360Registered Users Curl Novice
    my hairdresser sells them and has used them on me but doesn't push them.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I don't like the Delight wavy line. They all have protein in them, and since I wash my hair daily I end up with protein overload pretty quickly. I prefer the original line. The no-poo is way to heavy for my fine hair, so I would never use that again. The low-poo is the gentlest shampoo I've ever used. (There may be others just as gentle, I just haven't tried them.) One Condition is amazing - I've loved it from the first time I used it. It's sooo moisturizing, but doesn't weigh down my hair too much. Ultra Defining Gel is the fastest drying gel I have. Since I wash my hair every morning, dry time is a big concern for me. I can't go into work with crazy half wet hair! UDG combined with half diffusing/half air drying lets me finish my hair before I leave the house. There may be other gels that are harder holding or last longer, but that quick dry time is more important for me.

I've bought so many cheaper products that just don't work for me, that it's worth the extra money for products I KNOW will work. I have an under-sink-cabinet full of stuff I've tried and didn't like and don't know what to do with now. It may not work for everyone, but it works for me.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • StephC79StephC79 Posts: 99Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Janiegirl does the protein in the ultra defining gel not affect your hair then like washing with a protein containing product? I've been wanting to try it but my hair hates wheat protein.
    3A with tight ringlet underlayer.
    Mixed porosity, medium texture and density.

Cleaner - Shea Moisture fruit fusion shampoo, Maui Moisture curl quench shampoo, cleansing conditioner.
    Conditioner - L'Oreal Botanicals safflower conditioner.
    P/T - Curl Junkie repair me
    D/T - Shea Moisture manuka honey or fruit fusion mask
    Styling - Paul Mitchell round trip, Paul Mitchell super sculpt glaze, Paul Mitchell sculpting foam.
  • la_ninonla_ninon Posts: 118Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    pbi: I used the UDG for a week and my hair went completely soft/limp due to the protein.
    Lo Poo: MOP Hydrating Shampoo
    Leave-Ins: CJ Beauticurls, Briogeo Rosarco Spray
    Rinse-Outs: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine
    Stylers: L'Oreal Out of Bed Texturizer, Bumble & Bumble Bb. Gel, Yarok Hair Whip, Davines Volu Spray
    Treatments: ACV rinse, CJ Curl Rehab, caffeine solution spray

2C-3A, fine, low-medium porosity, low-medium density, sensitive scalp, protein-sensitive
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    StephC79 wrote: »
    Janiegirl does the protein in the ultra defining gel not affect your hair then like washing with a protein containing product? I've been wanting to try it but my hair hates wheat protein.

I don't have a really good handle on protein matters yet. My hair loves protein - to a certain extent. The most I can tell is when I need some, and when I've used too much. I think it might depend on the season too, but I've only been doing CG for about a year so I don't have enough experience on that yet.

I'm still using the Delight low poo (has protein) because I don't want to throw it away. But I can't use B'Leave In (more protein) with the UDG right now. It's too much for now. Last spring and summer I loved it and I actually used an entire tube of it - but then I was using the regular low-poo or cowash or something. So once I finally use up the Delight low poo I can see how my hair behaves without that extra shot of protein.

If you're curious about it, they sell little travel size bottles. Better than buying a giant container only to find out you hate it!
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file