What are your favorite products/techniques for supporting clumping?

la_ninonla_ninon Registered Users Posts: 118 Curl Neophyte
I'm having decent results with 'squish to condish,' but wonder if there's more I could be doing (if left to its own devices, my hair will separate into skinny spirals). TIA!
Lo Poo: MOP Hydrating Shampoo
Leave-Ins: CJ Beauticurls, Briogeo Rosarco Spray
Rinse-Outs: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine
Stylers: L'Oreal Out of Bed Texturizer, Bumble & Bumble Bb. Gel, Yarok Hair Whip, Davines Volu Spray
Treatments: ACV rinse, CJ Curl Rehab, caffeine solution spray

2C-3A, fine, low-medium porosity, low-medium density, sensitive scalp, protein-sensitive

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    There's the ice queen method which works really well. A deep conditioning treatment may also help.

Personally, what has been working for me is that when shampoo'ing, I don't break up my curls or rub the shampoo into them. I just scrunch the shampoo into my curls and let the water rinse it out. My hair has been much curlier as a result and better clumped, as it is more hydrated this way.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    Edit: double post

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • la_ninonla_ninon Registered Users Posts: 118 Curl Neophyte
    Awesome, thanks so much!
    Rinse-Outs: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine
    Stylers: L'Oreal Out of Bed Texturizer, Bumble & Bumble Bb. Gel, Yarok Hair Whip, Davines Volu Spray

2C-3A, fine, low-medium porosity, low-medium density, sensitive scalp, protein-sensitive
    Ok, I've been experimenting with trying to support clumping in the shower and then not disturbing the clumps, but I find that my products are not evenly-distributed as a result (in essence, I apply my products to the clumps themselves, but this means very little is reaching the back of my head and the crown). Can anyone advise?

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    What I have done occasionally is rake the product through my hair, roots to ends (which destroys the clumps), and then after my product is all in, I add water back into my hair to re-create the clumps. I just do this from the sink faucet. Then I blot with a t-shirt. The large majority of the product seems to stay in the hair despite adding water back in and then blotting.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Ah, interesting. I will try this. Thanks, Therese!

• Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Registered Users Posts: 124 Curl Neophyte
    I read you could use a hair net, just put the net over your hair and apply the shampoo, massage the scalp and rinse out, and for the conditioner apply it upside down, detangle with your fingers and scrunch while rinsing it out. The net is suppose to help you get good distribution and keep the waves intact and tangle free.
    2c, dense and coarse hair.
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Have you tried plopping/plunking? It used to help back in the days I used Jessicurl.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    I've tried plopping, but it doesn't work for me unless my hair is almost dry. My hair generally gets frizzy and undefined if I plop. I will plop only if it's bedtime and my hair is close to being dry, and then I get good results.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Yeah, plopping doesn't work for me either--it produces really strange, unnatural bends and waves, and seems to inhibit actual curl formation for me (I suspect my fine hair is to blame).

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    I had another thought. Did you say you are a recovering excessive-heat-styler? And protein-sensitive? Perhaps you need a deep moisture treatment? I've been curious about the Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Moisurizing Treatment. Generally speaking a moisturizing sorts of things helps my curl formation and clumping. The only downside of it is too much leads to build-up...but then I can clarify.

Also, I read on another thread that the Pattern Pusha was too light hold for you. Perhaps it needs to be used in combination with something else? Maybe try using it in an LOG method? You could experiment a little without any extra cost - just use your existing RO as a LI, use something from the kitchen for the oil, and Pattern Pusha for the gel.

You might also need to clarify the 'cone mousse out with a sulfate first.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    Hi Bomega,

Thanks for thinking through this with me :)

I have been a frequent blowdryer, which I'm sure has had an impact, though my hair is uncolored and overall seems quite healthy. At this point, I would say that I'm definitely protein sensitive. Although my hair is fine and my scalp fairly oily, I could probably benefit from a deep conditioning treatment. I am liking the IN conditioner Therese uses, so perhaps I'll use that until I get a dedicated product.

Yeah, I'm going to have to layer the PP if I'm going to be able to use it at all. To be honest, I think it's a real dud for my hair. In the warmer weather, I think I will experiment with argan oil. And after nearly 2 months of modified CG, I do think it's time to clarify with a sulfate shampoo.

Thanks again!!

I often use the Intelligent Nutrients as a deep conditioner. I usually leave it on for about an hour. I've always had good results.
    Thanks, Therese! It's a nice product--I like that it really seems to sink in (I suspect my hair is low-porosity, though I haven't had it tested yet). I see that you use the shampoo as well. Can I ask what you like about it?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file