Yes. Another one of those hair type questions. (Pictures Included)

IsaiahTBIsaiahTB Posts: 3Registered Users
Okay, I'm a guy and I am totally lost as to what my hair type is. I've been told everything from 2C to 4A and I'm ready to settle this once and for all. Before I show the pictures, just a few notes about my hair that may not be obvious from the pictures themselves:

My hair is short (about eyebrow length)
It's prone to frizz
It is thin in hair strand diameter, but I think it has a normal density (hair follicle distribution)
It is cottony and straightish/crinkly when dry and forms waves/curls when wet.

Okay, here are some links to my hair after a wash and go:
ySDJmdjm.jpg
etnrBkGm.jpg
5wvHaKPm.jpg
i0Ygfm5m.jpg
IQpmpgWm.jpg
N4ytSGgm.jpg
4eLCAkQm.jpg

My best friend swears up and down that I have 2-Range hair, but I feel like this is misleading because it is still Afro-Textured as far as I'm concerned. The problem with typing it, however, is that it doesn't really coil- it spirals and waves rather than coiling into your standard curl. It's confusing for me because it looks too Afro-ish to be 1-2 Range hair, but it doesn't make the curls/coils that 3-4 hair does either.

Sigh. Anyways, any ideas would be helpful. I'm dying to know what you all think. :scratch:

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm not really the best with this sort of typing, but here is my thoughts. My first thought is that it's kind of hard to tell because it is desperate for hydration. But perhaps more importantly your curl pattern doesn't matter as much as other properties of your hair such has the texture (as in course/fine), porosity and density from the stand point of trying to figure out what your curls need to look its best. Even my first suggestion of needing hydration may be off based on the other properties. I learned a lot about this from nc.com, and also the Scienc-y hair blog (which I heard about here.)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • IsaiahTBIsaiahTB Posts: 3Registered Users
    bomega wrote: »
    I'm not really the best with this sort of typing, but here is my thoughts. My first thought is that it's kind of hard to tell because it is desperate for hydration. But perhaps more importantly your curl pattern doesn't matter as much as other properties of your hair such has the texture (as in course/fine), porosity and density from the stand point of trying to figure out what your curls need to look its best. Even my first suggestion of needing hydration may be off based on the other properties. I learned a lot about this from nc.com, and also the Scienc-y hair blog (which I heard about here.)

Okay. I get what you're saying, but right now I'm not concerned with those other factors because I already have a pretty good idea of what they are. I'm merely interested in what my curl pattern is (if any) so that way I can figure out hairstyles for it as it lengthens. I can send different pictures if necessary. :)
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm still not sure why type your hair is, since I'm not really good at it. I would guess 4A also, but I'm not sure.

However, to elaborate about the hair typing problem. You can try to guess, but even if the condition of your hair (density/porosity/texture) doesn't change your curl pattern can appear to change based on length. In my case. When I had a pixie cut, I would say it was on the 2B side of 2B/2C. When it was chin length I would say 3A approaching 3B, and now that it is past my shoulders, its a solid 2C - I might be able to get 3A loops with the right products, but I would still call it 2C overall, largely because of how it behaves. Note how mid-length is what gave me the most curls, not pixie.

I know that isn't what you want to hear, but hopefully I hope you can figure out what you want for a style.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file