Sticky build-up from dry shampoo?

Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,560Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
The other day I used a dry shampoo from Sevi that had pigment added to make it suitable for use on very dark hair. I have played around with using this product before and didn't have any ill effects, but last week I used quite a bit of it (much more than before) and worked it into all of my hair.

When I washed my hair the day after using the product, it felt like it was full of build-up (sticky and tangly, loosened curl, flat and limp), and it took forever to diffuse dry. I tried washing again with a sulfate poo, but that seemed to do nothing. I washed again with Kinky Curly Come Clean, but that just seemed to strip my hair. I did a deep treatment with Curl Junkie Smoothing Daily Conditioner, which has some emolllients, and that helped a little bit, but I also felt that my hair was overly soft afterward.

My hair feels like it felt after I used an amla treatment (paste on dry hair) a year or two ago: sticky and coated, impervious to moisture, and lacking curl. Is it possible that the pigment in the natural shampoo somehow adhered to my hair? Is there any way to get it off?

Ingredients: Arrowroot Powder, Tapioca Starch, Brown Illite Clay, Moroccan Lava Clay, Essential Oils of Green Mandarin, Myrrh and Neroli, Iron Oxides (CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492).

On a side note, I am protein sensitive and easily get protein overload. But I don't think that the ingredients would have protein in any appreciable amounts so as to cause this problem.
Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
RO: IN Harmonic
LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Years ago, I used a tinted dry shampoo and it ended up taking days and days of daily washing (shampoo/conditioner). It was so gross. Never again. I think I ended up doing an oil treatment, which is what eventually worked. It might sound contradictory, but the powder sticks to the oil, which then washes away with shampoo.

As a side note, oiling after amla is what made that work for me too. I later found out that amla really lifts the keratin, and it needs oil to settle it back down. But it took a lot more than I expected.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,560Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Thank God I'm not the only one to have this bizarre reaction to tinted dry shampoo! Dry shampoo seems so harmless...sigh.

I will try the oil treatment. Someone on the curly hair Reddit board suggested co-washing before shampooing, which is probably the same idea. But I left conditioner on my hair overnight to try to deal with the problem, and that didn't work. Straight oil might be better. Good grief.

Interesting to hear that you had problems with amla as well. I would not have thought to oil the hair after an amla treatment. To be honest, I'm scared to try amla again...although I hear that if you put just a teaspoon in water and use that, it it much better than putting a paste directly on hair. Did you like how the amla made your hair look after you figured out how to use the oil afterward? Or did you decide that the results were not worth the work?
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Thank God I'm not the only one to have this bizarre reaction to tinted dry shampoo! Dry shampoo seems so harmless...sigh.

I will try the oil treatment. Someone on the curly hair Reddit board suggested co-washing before shampooing, which is probably the same idea. But I left conditioner on my hair overnight to try to deal with the problem, and that didn't work. Straight oil might be better. Good grief.

Interesting to hear that you had problems with amla as well. I would not have thought to oil the hair after an amla treatment. To be honest, I'm scared to try amla again...although I hear that if you put just a teaspoon in water and use that, it it much better than putting a paste directly on hair. Did you like how the amla made your hair look after you figured out how to use the oil afterward? Or did you decide that the results were not worth the work?
    Good luck with the oil treatment. Even if it doesn't do it for you, be rest assured that it will eventually be washed out. :)

So far I have only used amla in my henna mix. I had tried amla in my mix years ago, and at the time I thought it was an insult to my hair. Upon reflection, I wouldn't say it felt sticky and coated, but rather extremely dry and out of control poof like I had never had before. However, at that time I didn't do the post-henna oil treatment. Now that I am, I am thoroughly pleased with what it has done to my hair with that. Years ago, I didn't think it could get better than henna...and then amla did it.

As you may have heard, henna can loosen the curl pattern, and that was getting to be a problem for me before amla in my mix. I'm going to try regular amla only-treatments on my off week from henna to see if I can get some of that back.

I've heard about the tea and that might be the solution for you. (I'm looking for a concentrated treatment for the curl enhancement though.) But another thought is to try the "mermaid rinse" (fill up the tub, and lean back and try to massage you hair/head while submerged to really get it out). After that, if you feel like you need to get more out, do a cowash. I've also read that for amla treatment if doing a hair pack, you don't need as much as you do henna, and you can make a thin paste, so that could help too. Other than that, the only reason I haven't tried it yet is I'm having some analysis-paralysis about whether or not to do an oil pre-poo.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

Unfortunately, I have no tub, only a shower, so the mermaid rinse will not be in the stars for me. I think I'm just going to wait for this to wear off. I did the oil pre-poo overnight and then began with a co-wash to get the crud out, then followed with a shampoo. My hair still has loosened curl and some extra dryness, although the tangly feeling has improved. I feel like something in the dry shampoo bonded to my hair like protein. It's having all the same effects. So I'll just wait it out. I have a haircut tomorrow and will ask my stylist about it.

I'm glad you are able to use amla to get back your curl after using henna. It will probably be a very long time before I decide to try amla again!
    Unfortunately, I have no tub, only a shower, so the mermaid rinse will not be in the stars for me. I think I'm just going to wait for this to wear off. I did the oil pre-poo overnight and then began with a co-wash to get the crud out, then followed with a shampoo. My hair still has loosened curl and some extra dryness, although the tangly feeling has improved. I feel like something in the dry shampoo bonded to my hair like protein. It's having all the same effects. So I'll just wait it out. I have a haircut tomorrow and will ask my stylist about it.

I'm glad you are able to use amla to get back your curl after using henna. It will probably be a very long time before I decide to try amla again!
    I'm guessing it's the tapioca starch that's sticking to your hair. Too bad the oil didn't help. My only other thought is an ACV rinse? Hopefully the salon might have some ideas for you.

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried baking soda? This is my go-to when clarifying doesn't work, particularly on natural substances. Sometimes the exfoliating action of the powder is what gets the gunk off, though I've had no experience with the oxides or tapioca starch.
    I'd no idea the amla lifts the keratin. I thought only the henna affects it. It's good to know amla helps maintain your curl, as I'm afraid to try henna again for the fear of losing curl. In the past amla worked well in my hair as a tea. However, I don't do treatments to my hair as of late. Nowadays it's happiest when I keep things simple and do as little as possible to it. Therese1, we're similar that way it seems; if we do too much it ends up gunking up our hair.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    Have you tried baking soda? This is my go-to when clarifying doesn't work, particularly on natural substances. Sometimes the exfoliating action of the powder is what gets the gunk off, though I've had no experience with the oxides or tapioca starch.
    I'd no idea the amla lifts the keratin. I thought only the henna affects it. It's good to know amla helps maintain your curl, as I'm afraid to try henna again for the fear of losing curl. In the past amla worked well in my hair as a tea. However, I don't do treatments to my hair as of late. Nowadays it's happiest when I keep things simple and do as little as possible to it. Therese1, we're similar that way it seems; if we do too much it ends up gunking up our hair.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    I haven't tried baking soda...I'm not sure how my hair reacts to alkaline solutions, and I don't want to damage my hair. I could maybe try a sugar scrub, which I think will do the same type of manual exfoliation. Hmmm.

An ACV rinse would be easy. I could try that too.

I talked to my hairdresser today about it. She said she didn't know what exactly in the dry shampoo could have caused it, but she said that she has had difficulty on occasion with dry shampoos making the hair feel odd. She said that she would recommend washing with a sulfate for the next few washes to see if it will come out. She said that my hair is very healthy, so it shouldn't get dried out with the sulfate. She didn't notice my hair feeling too weird, although she did say it was a little stretchier than it normally is (though she wouldn't have noticed anything if I hadn't said something).

She said that if it doesn't go away, she can do a Malibu treatment, which supposedly strips everything off the hair (sounds scary). I could maybe even pick up an Ion clarifying packet at Sally's, which might do the same thing. But if this is some kind of situation where something has bonded to my hair shaft, as protein does, then maybe the Malibu wouldn't take it off. Anyway, for the time being, it's going to be sulfate poos and patience.

Yes, naturecat, our hair is similar in that it is very sensitive. It likes what it likes, and it's best not to deviate!

I told my hairdresser that I was wondering what is wrong with me that I can't figure out dry shampoo, lol.
    I haven't tried baking soda...I'm not sure how my hair reacts to alkaline solutions, and I don't want to damage my hair. I could maybe try a sugar scrub, which I think will do the same type of manual exfoliation. Hmmm.

An ACV rinse would be easy. I could try that too.

I talked to my hairdresser today about it. She said she didn't know what exactly in the dry shampoo could have caused it, but she said that she has had difficulty on occasion with dry shampoos making the hair feel odd. She said that she would recommend washing with a sulfate for the next few washes to see if it will come out. She said that my hair is very healthy, so it shouldn't get dried out with the sulfate. She didn't notice my hair feeling too weird, although she did say it was a little stretchier than it normally is (though she wouldn't have noticed anything if I hadn't said something).

She said that if it doesn't go away, she can do a Malibu treatment, which supposedly strips everything off the hair (sounds scary). I could maybe even pick up an Ion clarifying packet at Sally's, which might do the same thing. But if this is some kind of situation where something has bonded to my hair shaft, as protein does, then maybe the Malibu wouldn't take it off. Anyway, for the time being, it's going to be sulfate poos and patience.

Yes, naturecat, our hair is similar in that it is very sensitive. It likes what it likes, and it's best not to deviate!

I told my hairdresser that I was wondering what is wrong with me that I can't figure out dry shampoo, lol.
    If baking soda frightens you, you can try borax, which I think has a lower ph than the baking soda at least. It's bound to be more clarifying than sugar (though sugar acts as a natural hairspray btw, not sure if you knew that). I wonder if even some salt can help, as it can add volume in addition to being exfoliating.

3A/f/i
    Thanks, naturecat. I haven't had the energy even to wash my hair since my appointment, so I haven't done anything with it yet. Maybe I'd check out the Science-y Hair Blog and see what she says about mixing up a baking soda solution. The problem I have with borax is I can't get it to dissolve very well in anything but very hot water, and I don't want granules of undissolved borax stuck in my very dark hair, lol.
    Oh yes another idea; clays. I think it's rhassoul clay that's supposed to be great at giving hair a "reboot." Plus it should be good in dark hair. ;

3A/f/i
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,977Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    If you're still having problems, maybe Build Up Buster would help. It's supposed to remove everything, yet it's still gentle and safe for your hair. I've been using it for a couple weeks and like it pretty well. I definitely need more conditioner and leave in afterwards though.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    naturecat wrote: »
    Oh yes another idea; clays. I think it's rhassoul clay that's supposed to be great at giving hair a "reboot." Plus it should be good in dark hair. ;

I'm a little scared to try clays, because the dry shampoo had a couple kinds of clay in it. But I will check it out more and maybe try a test patch.

I've decided that my hair somehow has protein overload. I wonder if tapioca and arrowroot have some proteins in them, even though they are primarily starches. I washed with a sulfate poo again this a.m., and boy, was my hair stripped and dry. Later in the day, I rewashed my hair and used the Ion clarifying treatment from Sally's. Afterward, I deep conditioned. My hair felt a little better. It had clearly been stripped and was lacking moisture. But it still didn't want to dry and is somewhat straight and frizzy--in short, the very same way it reacts to excess protein (especially wheat).

My hair has had enough harsh cleansing for now. Based on how it looked after clarifying a couple of times, I'm going to assume that all build-up is off and I'm dealing with protein overload that will wear off.

I may straighten my hair during the next week. Maybe that will fry off some of the protein. (Sorry if I'm disturbing some people! :) )

Gotta love being protein sensitive.
    janiegirl wrote: »
    If you're still having problems, maybe Build Up Buster would help. It's supposed to remove everything, yet it's still gentle and safe for your hair. I've been using it for a couple weeks and like it pretty well. I definitely need more conditioner and leave in afterwards though.

Thanks, janiegirl. I actually was thinking about using that product too, but it's got protein in it, which my hair doesn't like. I did a clarifying treatment from Sally's earlier today, and it feels to me that all build-up is gone. I think that something in the dry shampoo, once wet, reacted like protein does on my hair, and I'm just going to deal with it like I would deal with protein overload.

Fun.
    At least the buildup is gone. You can try fenugreek for a DT. For my hair it's too much though, so you never know with our hair. Irish moss is gentler, though it technically contains some protein, but it also provides moisture, so it helps to right the balance between the two. Anyway some deep conditioning and you'll be as good as new.

3A/f/i
    Thanks, naturecat. I've never tried fenugreek. I've wanted to try some Irish moss, but our natural foods co-op doesn't carry it...although maybe I could find some in capsule form. I do need help with clumping, and I think Irish moss would help with that. I have used marshmallow in the past, and I'd like to try that again too. I just need to find the energy to try making some of this stuff. Maybe I'd do it on Memorial Day.

I found a page on rhassoul clay: https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/products-ingredients/rhassoul-clay-vs-bentonite-clay/. I didn't watch the whole video, but it sounds like something that might be worth trying at some point. Since clay contains a lot of minerals, it might help my hair get a little "stiffness" to it, which is what I like.

My hair feels much better today. The deep conditioning really helped. My hair was made so low po by the dry shampoo that it wasn't absorbing my conditioner. It's really amazing how sensitive hair can be.
    Thanks, naturecat. I've never tried fenugreek. I've wanted to try some Irish moss, but our natural foods co-op doesn't carry it...although maybe I could find some in capsule form. I do need help with clumping, and I think Irish moss would help with that. I have used marshmallow in the past, and I'd like to try that again too. I just need to find the energy to try making some of this stuff. Maybe I'd do it on Memorial Day.

I found a page on rhassoul clay: https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/products-ingredients/rhassoul-clay-vs-bentonite-clay/. I didn't watch the whole video, but it sounds like something that might be worth trying at some point. Since clay contains a lot of minerals, it might help my hair get a little "stiffness" to it, which is what I like.

My hair feels much better today. The deep conditioning really helped. My hair was made so low po by the dry shampoo that it wasn't absorbing my conditioner. It's really amazing how sensitive hair can be.
    Yay, glad your hair is feeling better. Irish Moss also adds some "crunch" to the hair. I've used it as a styler before. As a deep treatment it gets curls to "pop" afterwards.... perhaps the added crunch is part of the reason why.

3A/f/i

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file