Hello! I need help about my hair type and how to repair it please!

Nicole03Nicole03 Registered Users Posts: 4
Hello girls!

I just found this website and I am in need of some help if it's possible...firstly I was reading about hair types and I am willing to go natural with my hair, but hence my texture is kind of mixed I get confused if I am a 2 or 3 type and I will explain why...

Through the years I have got several cuts in my hair but I know it is damaged because of the heat I have been always into...so half of my hair is curly but the other half is totally flat and dead...here I show several pictures so you girls can see my actual situation...

When my hair is totally dried, it is all dead and even the curls loosen up and my hair gets frizzy...but when I just get out of the shower, my lower part has tight curls, and the upper part just a little bit wavy...

Here is how my hair is dry:
https://ibb.co/d3HAav

Here is my hair just out of the shower:
https://ibb.co/hiMsoF
https://ibb.co/mW9Ovv

I am willing to have a big cut in my hair, actually next week I have an appointment to the hair salon but I wonder what kind of cut should I get in order to start a new routine to revive my hair...

Any suggestions of haircuts, ideas of my hair type and how should I start with a new routine would be gladly accepted, thank you so much in advance! :)

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm not very good at curl typing, so I will leave that to others, but have you read Curly Girl: The Handbook, by Lorraine Massey? She gives a lot of techniques for dealing with curly hair.

It looks to me like your hair is very dry. I would cut out products containing silicones and sulfates. You can co-wash your hair with a nonsilicone conditioner (the Curly Girl book explains this in detail). You could also try to do a deep conditioning treatment (directions here) if your hair is severely dry.

It would be helpful for you to find out your hair properties. Is your hair fine or thick/coarse? Is it low or high porosity? This will help you pinpoint products that will be helpful.

I think that once you have a routine underway, you will eventually see some gorgeous curls, as it looks like you have a pretty strong curl pattern.

Just as a side note, due to a lot of unaddressed technical difficulties, this board is not as active as it used to be. If you want more input, I would try posting on the Reddit Curly board too.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I'm not very good at curl typing, so I will leave that to others, but have you read Curly Girl: The Handbook, by Lorraine Massey? She gives a lot of techniques for dealing with curly hair.

It looks to me like your hair is very dry. I would cut out products containing silicones and sulfates. You can co-wash your hair with a nonsilicone conditioner (the Curly Girl book explains this in detail). You could also try to do a deep conditioning treatment (directions here) if your hair is severely dry.

It would be helpful for you to find out your hair properties. Is your hair fine or thick/coarse? Is it low or high porosity? This will help you pinpoint products that will be helpful.

I think that once you have a routine underway, you will eventually see some gorgeous curls, as it looks like you have a pretty strong curl pattern.

Just as a side note, due to a lot of unaddressed technical difficulties, this board is not as active as it used to be. If you want more input, I would try posting on the Reddit Curly board too.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    One thing I can suggest about your haircut: Do not let the stylist thin your hair out with thinning shears. That will cause problems with curl formation. Layers are also helpful. I am not good with haircut terminology, so that is as specific as I can get, so maybe someone else will chime in with ideas.
  • Nicole03Nicole03 Registered Users Posts: 4
    Hello!

Thank you so much for your kind advices...regarding my porosity, from the readings I believe my hair is high porosity hence it takes hours to dry after I go out from the shower...as well I will try to post on Reddit and trying to find a routine to start caring more of my hair, specially when I get the haircut...I'm quite indecisive because I want to cut it short, but long enough to create ponytails, I'm afraid with my hair conditions a pixie cut would make me look bad ><

Thanks again!
    Hello!

Thank you so much for your kind advices...regarding my porosity, from the readings I believe my hair is high porosity hence it takes hours to dry after I go out from the shower...as well I will try to post on Reddit and trying to find a routine to start caring more of my hair, specially when I get the haircut...I'm quite indecisive because I want to cut it short, but long enough to create ponytails, I'm afraid with my hair conditions a pixie cut would make me look bad ><

Thanks again!
  • Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Registered Users Posts: 124 Curl Neophyte
    I think the main difference between 2 and 3 is that if you had curly hair since baby you are a 3 if your hair changed at some point due to hormones then you are on the 2 side, though you can be a wavy and have curls that look like a 3. Another thing is 3s are more uniforme while 2s have a mixed of texture and hair tends to get wavier or curlier depending on the circumstances.
    Is hard to tell with your hair, it looks like potencial for a 3a but you have some 2a-b-c in there. You will know more once your pattern shows.
    For the cut I say go with short, not pixie but a short bob is best to have a asymmetrical one, so in that way you don't need to do much to style it. Even with a bob, you might need layers, not too many and not to obvious but some, a one length bob for curlies/wavies can be hard to style.
    2c, dense and coarse hair.
  • Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Registered Users Posts: 124 Curl Neophyte
    I think the main difference between 2 and 3 is that if you had curly hair since baby you are a 3 if your hair changed at some point due to hormones then you are on the 2 side, though you can be a wavy and have curls that look like a 3. Another thing is 3s are more uniforme while 2s have a mixed of texture and hair tends to get wavier or curlier depending on the circumstances.
    Is hard to tell with your hair, it looks like potencial for a 3a but you have some 2a-b-c in there. You will know more once your pattern shows.
    For the cut I say go with short, not pixie but a short bob is best to have a asymmetrical one, so in that way you don't need to do much to style it. Even with a bob, you might need layers, not too many and not to obvious but some, a one length bob for curlies/wavies can be hard to style.
    2c, dense and coarse hair.
    Thank you so much for your answer!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file