Need help! Short 2a hair falls flat

gumesgumes Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi!
So, I have 2a low porosity, medium diameter, and dense hair that is cut in a pixie cut. It usually look good right as I am about to leave my house, but during the day it gets flatter and flatter, and even if I try to scrunch it, the waves dissolve super quick. My hair is kinda dry at the ends and oily at the top so i only wash the roots (conditioning before and after), and afterwards I let my hair air dry. I don't do anything besides that, so I'm wondering what kind of product I should be using in my hair. I'm scared that a mousse will make my hair feel stiff, which I don't want either.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    If you don't want your curls to fall flat, I think you will have to use some kind of styling product, whether it is mousse or gel. Not all products make the hair stiff and crunchy. Some gels will make the hair crunchy, but you can scrunch the crunch out with your hands and have soft hair. You will have to experiment with different products to find the right ones for your hair. I personally like my hair to feel a little bit stiff, because it adds some body.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Like Therese1 said, mousse or gel may be a good option for you, but you will have to experiment. In addition, there are other products like curl creams that can help, or even just leave-in conditioner.

Having said that, I used to use a tiny amount of lightweight oil followed by another tiny amount of Aveda Anti-Humectant pomade when I had a pixie cut. It was about 20 years ago, but it worked for me then. I wouldn't do it now though for the 'cones in it, but that might have been what gave me such easy styling.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Registered Users Posts: 124 Curl Neophyte
    I think you need to hydrate the ends well and try not to condition the scalp. I had a similar problem of oily roots and dry ends, I came to the conclusion (maybe wrong) that the scalp produces more oil because one the ends are dry and two you are stripping it of oil when washing. what I do then is try to keep my ends well hydrated with regular deep conditioning, leaving conditioner for 5 min before rinsing, and I try to avoid using strong shampoo, I have a all natural (4 ingredients) shampoo that I use on wash days, I do a water wash massaging the scalp every other day and sulfate free shampoo when needed. All this seemed to get rid of the oily scalp dry ends problem. Maybe your waves fall flat as the day goes on because your scalp is producing oil, therefore weighting them down.
    For products since you have a pixie cut you don't need much. I would stay away from mousse (tried many without success), you can start with a curl cream or a leave in, apply after shower and air dry or diffuse. These two will help giving moisture to the dry ends and it will hold for the day. If you see you need something stronger try a gel.
    Another thing you need to consider is the humidity where you live and how your hair reacts to it. Like mine get's curlier with higher humidity and only needs a light product to hold. But on dry weather it puffs and falls flat so I need more product and stronger. So keep in mind that if you are in a dry place you may need a gel. So give it a try with the curl cream or leave in and see how it goes.
    2c, dense and coarse hair.
  • Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Registered Users Posts: 124 Curl Neophyte
    I think you need to hydrate the ends well and try not to condition the scalp. I had a similar problem of oily roots and dry ends, I came to the conclusion (maybe wrong) that the scalp produces more oil because one the ends are dry and two you are stripping it of oil when washing. what I do then is try to keep my ends well hydrated with regular deep conditioning, leaving conditioner for 5 min before rinsing, and I try to avoid using strong shampoo, I have a all natural (4 ingredients) shampoo that I use on wash days, I do a water wash massaging the scalp every other day and sulfate free shampoo when needed. All this seemed to get rid of the oily scalp dry ends problem. Maybe your waves fall flat as the day goes on because your scalp is producing oil, therefore weighting them down.
    For products since you have a pixie cut you don't need much. I would stay away from mousse (tried many without success), you can start with a curl cream or a leave in, apply after shower and air dry or diffuse. These two will help giving moisture to the dry ends and it will hold for the day. If you see you need something stronger try a gel.
    Another thing you need to consider is the humidity where you live and how your hair reacts to it. Like mine get's curlier with higher humidity and only needs a light product to hold. But on dry weather it puffs and falls flat so I need more product and stronger. So keep in mind that if you are in a dry place you may need a gel. So give it a try with the curl cream or leave in and see how it goes.
    2c, dense and coarse hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file