Another newbie question: How and when to remove tangles?

la_ninonla_ninon Registered Users Posts: 118 Curl Neophyte
I am still losing more (precious!) hair than normal on my modified CG regimen. I've stopped co-washing the roots, which is helping, but I believe that my continuing shedding in the shower is due to how tangled my fine hair gets overnight. Should I use a wide-tooth comb and a leave-in as a detangler before bed (I'm not even trying for second day hair at this point...)? Or comb it out in the shower after conditioning but before squishing (will the 'condish and squish' technique still work?)? Any other methods I should try? TIA!
Lo Poo: MOP Hydrating Shampoo
Leave-Ins: CJ Beauticurls, Briogeo Rosarco Spray
Rinse-Outs: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine
Stylers: L'Oreal Out of Bed Texturizer, Bumble & Bumble Bb. Gel, Yarok Hair Whip, Davines Volu Spray
Treatments: ACV rinse, CJ Curl Rehab, caffeine solution spray

2C-3A, fine, low-medium porosity, low-medium density, sensitive scalp, protein-sensitive

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    You should only detangle in the shower with your hair saturated with conditioner. Do that before you squish to condish. Are you protecting your hair at night? You can pineapple your hair and use a silk pillowcase. Some people wrap their hair in a scarf or a buff or use a satin bonnet.

If you're coming to this after wearing your hair straight, you're going to naturally see a lot (a LOT!) more shedding. It's not that your hair is shedding more than it used it, but because shed hair in straight hair just slips out without you noticing, but with curly hair it stays in until you wash it. You should be noticing less shed hair on your clothes and floor and bed, but more when you wash. When my hair was long and straight, I had enough randomly shed hair around the house that it would tangle up in my vacuum cleaner and I'd have to cut it out of the brush or else it would burn out the motor (ruined a couple vacuums that way!). Now I see barely any hair in the vacuum brush, but lots in the shower. Still the same amount, just coming out when I actually notice it.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • la_ninonla_ninon Registered Users Posts: 118 Curl Neophyte
    Thank you so much--this makes sense and is immensely helpful. Do you think a wide tooth comb and those wet brushes are comparable? I will definitely get a satin pillowcase or cap. Unfortunately, given that hair loss runs in my family, all the strands in the drain are making me nervous! I will keep an eye on things....I think you are right that I'm noticing fewer stray strands around. Thanks again!
    Rinse-Outs: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine
    Stylers: L'Oreal Out of Bed Texturizer, Bumble & Bumble Bb. Gel, Yarok Hair Whip, Davines Volu Spray

2C-3A, fine, low-medium porosity, low-medium density, sensitive scalp, protein-sensitive
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    Hi, :)

the wide tooth comb is much gentler and safer for curls. the ball-tipped style brushes yank hard on surface of strands, i have noticed.
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    Double-post.
  • la_ninonla_ninon Registered Users Posts: 118 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks so much, Morrisonfan--that makes sense and is very helpful.

• fihefihe Registered Users Posts: 101
    I used to detangle in the shower with a wide-tooth comb after applying conditioner, but I've stopped since I was losing a ton of hair each time I washed my hair. Now I detangle when my hair is dry, before washing, with my Tangle Teezer. I clip up all of my hair except for the bottom section, detangle that part, then keep on letting more hair down and work my way up my head. If I have a tough knot, I will untangle it with my fingers. It only takes 5-10 minutes since I have pretty fine hair and don't usually have a lot of tangles. Now, I no longer use my comb in the shower, and keep finger combing/raking to a minimum.
    Check out my new blog:
    My Type 2 Hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file