An ugh kind of day

piccadilly13piccadilly13 Posts: 79Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Today is one of those days I'm feeling very UGH about my hair.

I like that it's curly, most of the time. I feel like my biggest problem is that it's so THIN. I feel like I can't do anything else with it than just wear it down.

I have 3 concerts and an outdoor wedding in the next month. Sometimes I think it would be fun to do a cute braid, or an updo, or just something DIFFERENT with it. I know it's going to frizz in the humidity, anyway!

And then I try to practice, like I did just now, and get totally frustrated. Up-dos show too much of my scalp and highlight how much hair I don't have. Braids? What a joke, a square inch of my hair makes a braid thinner than a pencil. And don't even mention the fact that I'm finding more and more silver hairs at the age of 24.

Just need somewhere to vent. No one else would understand.

UGH.
2c/3a, fine, high porosity
curly since 4/2008, CG since 3/27/2016

cowash: as i am coconut cowash
li: kckt
styler: kccc, brhg

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    what about doing tiny braids going back from your forehead, so just the front is braided, leaving the back down?

or, clipping your hair off your face and up on one side?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    just had to add that i usually do clip up one side when i am having an ugh hair day. i always get compliments on it, when to me, it's funny how i turned an ugh hair day into a day of compliments. sometimes i use a fancy clip or flower clip. that would work for the wedding.

• piccadilly13piccadilly13 Posts: 79Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rbb wrote: »
    just had to add that i usually do clip up one side when i am having an ugh hair day. i always get compliments on it, when to me, it's funny how i turned an ugh hair day into a day of compliments. sometimes i use a fancy clip or flower clip. that would work for the wedding.

Thanks for the responses! I do actually clip it back on either one or both sides, depending on the day - usually I that's what I do for 2+ day hair. :) I really like the idea of using a fancy clip or something for the wedding. I hadn't thought of that!

• ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I feel ya. I have alot of ugh days. My situations isnt really the same as yours except the being frustrated part. One thing that has helped me feel better about my density is to let it grow longer. I know that does nothing to help the density, and actually it weighs down the wave, but it does help me feel like I have more hair. If I catch my reflection passing a window or something, it looks more normal to me the longer it gets. I dont even bother with trying styles since my forehead is about the size of a football field, so I don't want my face be the only thing people have to look at. I keep my hair down with my bangs swept over the best I can. Or I might do a ponytail here or there but always with my bangs down.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My hair is superfine, and I have the same issue with trying to braid: there's no girth to the braid. It also extremely difficult to braid my hair, because it is super slippery.

I have done some updos in this way: I make a very small ponytail at the back of my head, with just the hair at the back of the head. (It can be just a one-inch-square section of hair, very small.) Then start taking small pieces from the sides of the head and bobby pinning them loosely to the little ponytail. This can create a fancier updo. It is helpful to spray with a flexible-hold hairspray first, or work some dry shampoo in, to give the hair a little more bulk.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My hair is superfine, and I have the same issue with trying to braid: there's no girth to the braid. It also extremely difficult to braid my hair, because it is super slippery.

I have done some updos in this way: I make a very small ponytail at the back of my head, with just the hair at the back of the head. (It can be just a one-inch-square section of hair, very small.) Then start taking small pieces from the sides of the head and bobby pinning them loosely to the little ponytail. This can create a fancier updo. It is helpful to spray with a flexible-hold hairspray first, or work some dry shampoo in, to give the hair a little more bulk.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have similar issues and know how it can get you down. My hair's either worn loose or in a bog-standard ponytail, with my scalp covered as best I can manage. I look at up-do's online and just know I'm never going to get away with them as there simply isn't enough hair on my head to make them work. It's very disheartening. I'm getting older and would like to do something other than just a ponytail but I'm at a loss. I must say, I agree with ttoosday - I'm growing my hair a bit longer atm and it does make me feel a bit better.
    3b in South Australia.
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, I have thin, short hair, which can't be put up, except to straighten and put into pigtails (too short to ponytail!). It can get very frustrating. Also I just noticed I think we're both musicians. I get hair in my face whenever I try to practice and concerts/special events are so unpredictable with my hair too! I'm also finding more grey, though still not visible to most except me. Would love to cover with henna but my curl would probably straighten. That's the frustration of super fine hair.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    Hey everyone! Checking in, after my little b****fest from last month ;)

The wedding was this past weekend, and I did the best I could to make something of the situation. I used a curling iron on some of the top layers for a little volume/shape (my hair was 2 days old - didn't want to waste a fresh wash). It was the first time using heat on my hair since going CG over a year ago, but I reminded myself that it was okay to do sparingly, and I kept the heat on low.

Then I made a side bun from my bottom layers, and gradually secured all the top layers to the bun with bobby pins at the ends. I found a pretty headband at Target for $10, and I called it a day. I was actually really happy with the result - it was so nice to see pictures of myself from later, where my hair looks different than usual! And I didn't have to worry about it during the humid outdoor wedding, or later dancing at the reception.

I'll add a couple of pics if I can get them to show. it was a great day!

KTOuN
    BApzh

KTOuN
    BApzh

Well, DANG IT, i don't think it's working :(

Edit: JK i think it is! :)
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Glad it all worked out. Shucks, it won't let us see the pic. The site doesn't support pics nowadays--you have to host the image elsewhere and link to it, sadly. Your 'do sounds really pretty!

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It looks really pretty, you did a good job and I'm glad you were happy with it.
    3b in South Australia.
    it looks really good, was probably perfect.

• RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 182Registered Users Curl Novice
    Wow, that is really pretty! I wish I had that kind of talent!
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
    Glad you were able to post. Gorgeous. I love that loose curl tendril on the side. Some people just have a knack for putting their hair back, and you're one of them.

3A/f/i

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file