I don't know what to do.

So.

I used to have a pretty full head of hair. My mom gave me my first relaxer when I was...six? Seven? She botched the first couple ones she gave me, and it took my hair years to recover, although she continued to both give my hair relaxers and braid it in between relaxers. By the time I was sixteen, my hair was just below my ears when straightened. So basically, I've always struggled to retain length. I got my hair relaxed professionally when I was sixteen, and continued to get it done at salons for the next few years, while my hair continued to struggle. I did get a pixie cut in 2013, which was back when my hair was considerably healthier than it is now.

I finally decided that I needed to do something different a couple years ago, because the hair on my nape was breaking like crazy, and I still wasn't retaining any length, despite following instructions given to me by my hair stylist.

My last relaxer was in December of 2015, and I started transitioning for real in March or April of 2016. For the first few months, I used Bantu knot-outs primarily and goddess braids with extensions. In Fall 2016, I learned how to braid and twist my own hair with extensions, so from there all the up until now, I've primarily used box braids as my protective style.

I'm happy to say that I'm fully natural now and fairly certain it's 4C. However, the hair in my n nape continues to break like crazy, despite attempts to moisturize and seal the ends, etc. My overall hair growth is just not what it should be, and I'm at a possibility, because the box braids just don't appear as though they've helped me retain any length.

I do try to include a pretty reasonably healthy diet, with plenty of spinach, beans, and wheat bread eaten throughout the wheat, as well as water. I use a spray fixture of water, leave in, and aloe vera juice to moisturize daily, and seal my ends off with Shea moisture.

I just don't know what else to do????

Should I try low manipulation styles so I can more easily moisturize? Do vitamins help?

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, low manipulation is best when you have delicate hair. Also you may benefit from protein treatments (damaged hair tends to need that), as well as deep treatments, if you haven't already done so.
    Biosil made my hair grow like mad when I took it. Some people swear by biotin, but I've never tried it (and some people get side effects on that one).
    With diet, I can't say for sure what makes hair grow fast or healthy, but in general it's good to include both lots of raw and steamed veggies, etc. Some of the most potent ones, the strong anti-inflammatories are collard greens, kale, and dandelion greens. Though any cruciferous veggies are good. Spinach is okay, maybe not as nutrient dense, but it's good to include variety, and eat all colors of the rainbow. Onions may also be good, as sulfur is correlated with hair health/growth, I believe. Supposedly, onion juice applied to the scalp reverses grey hair, so just imagine the benefits when taken internally.
    Bread is tricky.... gluten is problematic for lots of people.
    Once you grow out and cut off all the damaged hair (from the relaxers) hopefully your pure new growth will be healthy and strong.
    I used to do catnip tea treatments. That makes the hair stronger. Fermented Rice Water is excellent for hair moisture, elasticity, and hair growth rate too. There's a whole thread on that somewhere int his forum. Irish moss is good at adding both protein and moisture and getting curls to pop. So lots of things to try!
    Also look up inversion method, for faster hair growth. I've never tried it but many swear by it.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, low manipulation is best when you have delicate hair. Also you may benefit from protein treatments (damaged hair tends to need that), as well as deep treatments, if you haven't already done so.
    Biosil made my hair grow like mad when I took it. Some people swear by biotin, but I've never tried it (and some people get side effects on that one).
    With diet, I can't say for sure what makes hair grow fast or healthy, but in general it's good to include both lots of raw and steamed veggies, etc. Some of the most potent ones, the strong anti-inflammatories are collard greens, kale, and dandelion greens. Though any cruciferous veggies are good. Spinach is okay, maybe not as nutrient dense, but it's good to include variety, and eat all colors of the rainbow. Onions may also be good, as sulfur is correlated with hair health/growth, I believe. Supposedly, onion juice applied to the scalp reverses grey hair, so just imagine the benefits when taken internally.
    Bread is tricky.... gluten is problematic for lots of people.
    Once you grow out and cut off all the damaged hair (from the relaxers) hopefully your pure new growth will be healthy and strong.
    I used to do catnip tea treatments. That makes the hair stronger. Fermented Rice Water is excellent for hair moisture, elasticity, and hair growth rate too. There's a whole thread on that somewhere int his forum. Irish moss is good at adding both protein and moisture and getting curls to pop. So lots of things to try!
    Also look up inversion method, for faster hair growth. I've never tried it but many swear by it.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,352Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    HI Wenapai, Sorry you are having a hard time. Naturecat gave some good ideas to try. Here are some of my experiences:
    - The best thing ever for my hair was when I did a diet experiment where I drank 2-3 quarts of fresh green smoothies per day. These were made with at least 1 bunch of dark leafy greens (kale, chard, mustard greens, etc.) and 4-6 fresh fruit per half gallon, and was about 50--75% of my total calorie intake (my point is it was a *lot*.) I'm trying to get back to taking 1quart of green smoothie per day in the morning. It take a little planning though.

- This past year I started taking biotin for another reason besides hair, and as a pleasant side effect, noticed that I have some new growth of baby hairs. However, it did not increase the overall growth rate.

- Alaffia Revitalizing shampoo and conditioner have helped my overall hair condition, and I could swear it makes my hair healthier and grow faster. But it isn't magic pill.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file