Hair Type Advice - Newbie

PatoninaPatonina Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi there!

I'm a West Coast Canuck from Vancouver, Canada who is finally embracing her wavy/curly hair. I've recently started the CGM and am excited with the direction it's going. My only issue - I'm still unsure what type of hair I have. I'm pretty sure it's 2 yet I'm seeing my hair go curlier as I follow the CGM. It's coloured (with my natural grey on top), each strand is very course and I have a lot of it. I thought it was low porosity but it gets very, very dry and frizzy and I've noticed that my hair seems to take well with some protein (especially silk protein). Any thoughts and insight would be great!!

4i3jSxP.jpg

vL2RmRw.jpg

?taken-by=morningbedhead?taken-by=morningbedhead?taken-by=morningbedhead

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    Hi and welcome.

Hair that has been colored is high porosity. Most grey hair is also high porosity, hence getting dried out. You may want to consider two things. One is to deep condition if you don't already, and use a leave in if you don't already. Most importantly, seal your hair with either a product or straight up oil (diluted in your palms and applied to the ends, frequently). If you have high porosity hair and don't seal you end up with dryness and frizz. Oils and butters are sealers, and it will take some experimentation to see what works best for you. If using a product to seal make sure it has some oil and/or butter.
    As for hair type, I think you're currently a 2 but I see some parts that are starting to curl more, maybe 2c-ish and as time goes on, who knows? I began as a 2a and now I'm closer to 3a.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    Hi and welcome.

Hair that has been colored is high porosity. Most grey hair is also high porosity, hence getting dried out. You may want to consider two things. One is to deep condition if you don't already, and use a leave in if you don't already. Most importantly, seal your hair with either a product or straight up oil (diluted in your palms and applied to the ends, frequently). If you have high porosity hair and don't seal you end up with dryness and frizz. Oils and butters are sealers, and it will take some experimentation to see what works best for you. If using a product to seal make sure it has some oil and/or butter.
    As for hair type, I think you're currently a 2 but I see some parts that are starting to curl more, maybe 2c-ish and as time goes on, who knows? I began as a 2a and now I'm closer to 3a.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • PatoninaPatonina Registered Users Posts: 3
    naturecat wrote: »
    Hi and welcome.

Thanks so much naturecat!

I was wondering on the porosity. I did the test and thought I was low but all other clues were saying differently.

I just purchased some DC products so I'm hoping that will make a difference and I'll definitely look into deep conditioning. I'm also using SM CS and my hair seems to really love it. I'll read more up on oils as well.

Nice to know that your curl can get more curly. I've been fighting frizz for so many years yet never assumed it was what I was doing to my hair or even that my hair could be curly! Who knew!?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file