Frizz when air drying

ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
If I let my hair air dry even for just a few minutes I get frizz. I try not to put much if any LI on the area above the ears. But I'm 2B so I do have to apply some styler there or the roots plus the next 3 inches will be straight. So I work in some styler and then try to get plenty of gel over all areas to set a good gel cast. But when diffusing and especially air drying I get some frizz. Is this normal and what do you do to fix it?
CG since 11/2014
Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
Low density, very coarse, high porosity
Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
Protein: Hask Keratin
Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel

Comments

• machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ttoosday wrote: »
    If I let my hair air dry even for just a few minutes I get frizz. I try not to put much if any LI on the area above the ears. But I'm 2B so I do have to apply some styler there or the roots and the next 3 inches will be straight. So I work in some styler and then try to get plenty of gel over all areas to set a good gel cast. But when diffusing and especially air drying I get some frizz. Is this normal and what do you do to fix it?

I actually finger comb my hair back on the crown so my hair get more volume there. I don't mind it being straight there. Maybe you should try that. Us wavy's have that issue where our hair is straight at the crown then gets wavier. So instead to try to force my crown to be as wavy as mid length to ends like I said I finger comb my crown back then let it fall which gives me volume on my crown. I mean I really get in there and finger comb my hair back like running my fingers through the crown. I don't use any styler on my crown or roots. As an example our son who's a bonafied 3B doesn't have this problem. His hair is curly from the crown.

As far as frizz it depends how much frizz. I find that I need to wet my hair more on 2nd day+ hair than I thought I did to keep down the frizz. I've been using Deva Frizz Free Volumizing Foam for styling. I don't apply to my roots. I only apply to mid length to ends. I rope squeeze the Foam in. Now I will get crown frizz but it hasn't been that bad.

I accept frizz as long as it isn't bad. Sort of gives you character. How bad is your frizz?
  • machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If I let my hair air dry even for just a few minutes I get frizz. I try not to put much if any LI on the area above the ears. But I'm 2B so I do have to apply some styler there or the roots and the next 3 inches will be straight. So I work in some styler and then try to get plenty of gel over all areas to set a good gel cast. But when diffusing and especially air drying I get some frizz. Is this normal and what do you do to fix it?

I actually finger comb my hair back on the crown so my hair get more volume there. I don't mind it being straight there. Maybe you should try that. Us wavy's have that issue where our hair is straight at the crown then gets wavier. So instead to try to force my crown to be as wavy as mid length to ends like I said I finger comb my crown back then let it fall which gives me volume on my crown. I mean I really get in there and finger comb my hair back like running my fingers through the crown. I don't use any styler on my crown or roots. As an example our son who's a bonafied 3B doesn't have this problem. His hair is curly from the crown.

As far as frizz it depends how much frizz. I find that I need to wet my hair more on 2nd day+ hair than I thought I did to keep down the frizz. I've been using Deva Frizz Free Volumizing Foam for styling. I don't apply to my roots. I only apply to mid length to ends. I rope squeeze the Foam in. Now I will get crown frizz but it hasn't been that bad.

I accept frizz as long as it isn't bad. Sort of gives you character. How bad is your frizz?
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    What do you mean by letting your hair air dry even for a few minutes? Do you mean that if you apply styler and then diffuse right away you get no frizz but if you wait a little and then diffuse you do? Or do you mean that if you air dry it frizzes, so you always diffuse?

I only air dry and during the time there is any moisture in my hair it looks a little frizzy and like it is going dry frizzy. However, if I resist the urge to touch it to smooth it down or adjust it, by the time it actually drys, it drys frizz-free. (My hair likes to do a little psyche-out on my like that...It thinks its being sooooo funny that way. :angry7:).

But if that's not it, maybe try just a touch of pomade just on the crown area?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    macher wrote: »

I haven't tried the finger combing but I'll think about that. I'd say my frizz is kinda bad. It's possible it's new growth frizz. It's just that it pops up after product application and during drying which is very frustrating. I end up applying more gel over the top to lay it down after it's mostly or all dry.
    CG since 11/2014
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    [/QUOTE]What do you mean by letting your hair air dry even for a few minutes? Do you mean that if you apply styler and then diffuse right away you get no frizz but if you wait a little and then diffuse you do? Or do you mean that if you air dry it frizzes, so you always diffuse?

I only air dry and during the time there is any moisture in my hair it looks a little frizzy and like it is going dry frizzy. However, if I resist the urge to touch it to smooth it down or adjust it, by the time it actually drys, it drys frizz-free. (My hair likes to do a little psyche-out on my like that...It thinks its being sooooo funny that way. :angry7:).

But if that's not it, maybe try just a touch of pomade just on the crown area?[/QUOTE]

I always diffuse, I can't think of a single occasion where I have time to air dry 100%.
    I try to do what benefits the majority of my hair but it leaves crown frizz every time. For example:
    If I diffuse all the way to 90/95% or more, I get crown frizz from the air coming out if the diffuser (even the low setting is a little bit too strong at this stage of dry). So I generally can't diffuse that long, the dry parts get blown frizzy before the roots get anywhere near dry. So I try to not concentrate too much air in any one area too long but that means lots of diffuser movement.
    If I diffuse to say, 70/80% dry to keep the more dry parts together, and then let it air dry rest of the way, I will have alot of hairs will curl up away from the gel cast all in the damp crown area.
    Why can't the gel hold the hairs during the air dry? Why can't the gel hold the hairs during diffusing?
    I'm switching from LA Looks, since it's evidently not enough hold, to Got2be Styling Glue maybe because it becomes a principle thing to me- why can't my hard hold gel hold?!
    CG since 11/2014
  • Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Posts: 124Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I apply oil before any product, I've noticed that helps with frizz and it has to be applied on wet hair other wise it get's greasy. Then goes the gel and let it air dry up to 50/60% and diffuse. Once it's air drying I see frizz coming but after diffusing there is way too much frizz. So what I do is take curling cream to manipulate my hair, break the cast, settle the frizz. Then take the diffuser head out (sometimes apply the concentrator) blow dry on cool over the crown and frizzy parts, holding my hair so it won't fly away and create more frizz. Lowest speed and cool seems to get rid of the frizz plus the curl cream on my hands to tame it.
    2c, dense and coarse hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file