I am so freaking frustrated with this site! Lets all voice our feelings!!

MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,417Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
This used to be a great site. Now it is crap. We cannot post effectively; we cannot even search now, or at least I could not; and instead of talking with one another, I get these insipid articles each morning that are rarely helpful and do not pertain to me. I have written to the site THREE FREAKING TIMES and they say they are "working on it". I dont believe them. I think they just dont GAS. What do you say, Gals? should we flood them with emails, or responses to this post? what might work? are there any techies our there who might know how to correct the posting issue???

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,332Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    myrna -- i couldn't let this go, had to respond.

let's see -- many of us have voiced our opinions/concerns for well over the past 8 months, more if you count how we hated the curltalk design.

no one responds, or once or twice we get at "we're working on it," and nothing happens, so that is really no response.

add in the name change from curl mart to shop naturally curly.

add in the 'insipid,' tabloid articles that make no sense and are most times wrong on the hair info.

and last, but not least, almost daily sales of 20% or more off on products.

ok, let's add it up -- hmmm, looks like they are letting curltalk disappear, and will be a shopping website with those insipid, tabloid articles to 'draw' people in.

you do know naturally curly was bought out by 'the big boys' a few years ago, right? the money is in the products.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    What I struggle with is that there's almost no one on here to have discussions with. I could tolerate all the stuff you mentioned, I wouldnt like it, but could tolerate it IF there were people on here to interact with! Thank you to all the long haulers and the few who've stuck around through all this crap. You get the gamer award!
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,269Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I agree, Myrna, that they say they're working on it but they're not. This has gone on way too long for them to be "working on it." And as rbb points out, there have been a lot of changes to the sales side. So somebody's doing something.

I've started going to the reddit curly hair site. I know there is a Facebook site, but I don't have Facebook. There are quite a few people on the Reddit site, but I feel like there are an awful lot of selfies from people who just have naturally nice hair and didn't have to struggle with routines or anything. On Curl Talk, I always felt like everyone was in the same boat, struggling to get their hair to look good.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I agree, Myrna, that they say they're working on it but they're not. This has gone on way too long for them to be "working on it." And as rbb points out, there have been a lot of changes to the sales side. So somebody's doing something.

I've started going to the reddit curly hair site. I know there is a Facebook site, but I don't have Facebook. There are quite a few people on the Reddit site, but I feel like there are an awful lot of selfies from people who just have naturally nice hair and didn't have to struggle with routines or anything. On Curl Talk, I always felt like everyone was in the same boat, struggling to get their hair to look good.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,056Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I wonder if Gretchen and Michelle (was it Michelle? My memory isn't the best for names these days) ever come here and see what it's like now. I hope they're suitably horrified with what's happened to their baby, but suspect they're not.
    I don't think it'll ever be what it was. It's not even a poor imitation nowadays.
    3b in South Australia.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,056Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I wonder if Gretchen and Michelle (was it Michelle? My memory isn't the best for names these days) ever come here and see what it's like now. I hope they're suitably horrified with what's happened to their baby, but suspect they're not.
    I don't think it'll ever be what it was. It's not even a poor imitation nowadays.
    3b in South Australia.
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,417Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Why DID Gretchen and Michelle abandon the site? is it possible to contact them? Where is Geek_Chic??
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,417Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ladies: I just sent the following to Michelle Breyer. To be fair, I notice the posting issue is better than it was. Perhaps we can spread the word about that.

Hi, Michelle. There are many of us who love and who have loved this site and who are pained at what it has become. There has been a very serious problem with posting - it takes forever for a post to appear - although I think this has gotten better. We have contacted the powers that be and are told that the site is "working on it" - working on it, for how long?? we dont care for the emphasis on largely meaningless articles that are sent out each AM - and the emphasis on products as opposed to sharing information. We know that the site was "sold", and we dont know why, or why it has changed so much that it is not like it was. NC.com has always been a great way for us to share information. Can we get that back?
  • krispykrispy Posts: 320Registered Users
    I also have become quite discouraged with this site for all the reasons mentioned above as well as hardly any articles I can relate too. I'm a 2c/3a and i'd say 90% of the articles are type 4. It was never like this before!! There should be articles for EVERY hair type. I too have been going to Reddit and hardly EVER come on this site anymore. Such a shame!!!!
    2c/3a

Worrying doesn't take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace

Best combo so far:
    SheaMosture Curl and shine milk , Ouidad heat and humidity gel
  • 10sylvia510sylvia5 Posts: 39Registered Users
    Just thought I would echo what everyone else has been saying. I am a relative newbie here and have learned soo much from you all ,but I haven't been visiting soo much as the articles are not as relevant for me either ( I think I am 2c/ 3a) kind of Botticelli curls on a good hair day!! )
    But I would like to thank everyone even though I am not here as often , I wouldn't have got this far without you.
    I do wish too that there was less emphasis on selling products in each article , that would make them more believable.
    And also answering people's concerns ( like mine were when I first found here) in proper time and relevantly would restore some faith at least.
    Just some thoughts
    Best
    S x
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Myrna wrote: »
    Why DID Gretchen and Michelle abandon the site? is it possible to contact them? Where is Geek_Chic??
    Hi Myrna! I'm still around lurking, just not as active as I used to be (60 hour work week, nights). My CurlTalk App completely quit working a couple months back, and I've switched to Tapatalk, but it's not as convenient (and no email notifications of new posts in subscribed threads). I tried to start a thread about it but the forum ate it.

I'll chime in with others here... I don't even visit nc.com anymore. It's ad filled and the articles are poorly researched or outright wrong, when they aren't pure fluff. I was sad to hear Tonya McKay is gone. I loved the Curl Chemist articles.

Don't even get me started on the forum. That's what drew me in to nc.com in the first place. That's why I've stuck around. It had great info, great community, and great members. I was here when the rules changed and people left, when some wavy content was appropriated for an article (without any notification) and people left, when the forum was "improved" with a redesign and people left.

There used to be a gift exchange over in non-hair for goodness sake. That's the kind of community we had. Goosefootprints was (is?) a Curltalk member. She authors the Science-y Hair Blog. She mixed up the gelatin pt (IAGirl's pt... go find the original thread). This is the sort of person who used to post here... Regularly! IAGirl, rymorg2, redcelticcurls, kathymack... all regular posters with a wealth of information who I never see anymore. That was what made CurlTalk great, not the site, not the articles, but the group of regulars we had here. Rbb, Myrna, thanks for sticking around.

I miss the old CurlTalk, but administration is largely silent, big on promises and short on follow through. I wish I could say I think it will change for the better, but I don't see it happening.

I'm not going anywhere, but... Someone shoot me a link to the Facebook group, please? I'd like to stay in touch with at least some of you when the lights go dark here.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • BrainyhairedBrainyhaired Posts: 4Registered Users
    hello everyone. I just got here, but good to know what is going on. Thanks for the heads up!
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    here is a link to one of the fb groups:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/294586847411062/

I don't check or post there much--it's not the same as a forum, with the categories sorted and easier to sift through--however, it is at least a resource.

I wish the people who owned this site would sell it to someone who maintained it. It would help their bottom line after all. Or they could do an exchange where someone maintains it in exchange for a certain % of a certain amount of products sold, etc. If they keep it as is, people will get frustrated and stop shopping on curl mart. I know I have. I ignore the articles. It was always the people that made the forum.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    here is a link to one of the fb groups:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/294586847411062/

I don't check or post there much--it's not the same as a forum, with the categories sorted and easier to sift through--however, it is at least a resource.

I wish the people who owned this site would sell it to someone who maintained it. It would help their bottom line after all. Or they could do an exchange where someone maintains it in exchange for a certain % of a certain amount of products sold, etc. If they keep it as is, people will get frustrated and stop shopping on curl mart. I know I have. I ignore the articles. It was always the people that made the forum.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • MelizaBBMelizaBB Posts: 6Registered Users
    I think the site is quite nice, they obviously put a lot of work in it. I imagine is quite hard to handle this kind of thing.
  • la_ninonla_ninon Posts: 118Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm also new and am glad to learn about these issues.
    Lo Poo: MOP Hydrating Shampoo
    Leave-Ins: CJ Beauticurls, Briogeo Rosarco Spray
    Rinse-Outs: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine
    Stylers: L'Oreal Out of Bed Texturizer, Bumble & Bumble Bb. Gel, Yarok Hair Whip, Davines Volu Spray
    Treatments: ACV rinse, CJ Curl Rehab, caffeine solution spray

2C-3A, fine, low-medium porosity, low-medium density, sensitive scalp, protein-sensitive
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,508Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    This was a great forum for many many years. I'd say the last 2 years it has really gone down the tubes. The new 'improvements' a couple years ago were the beginning of the end. It made the forum much less user friendly, much harder on the eyes, and now it's to the point it's barely usable. No amount of complaining or pleading has changed anything. When we do get a reply it is often an out and out lie. And now it's just loaded up with spam. Sigh. I can't figure out why they would want to lose thousands of potential buyers at their retail marketplace.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    as an example of how different curltalk is from a few years ago, here is just one minor thread over 2 days, see how many responses:

CJ Curl Rehab vs. CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix

and that is not even a major thread.

there were many times i was away or busy over the weekend and did not have time to sign into curltalk and i knew on monday there was no hope of entirely catching up, i'd just do a few threads as there was soooo much, so many members voicing opinions......

how curltalk is now is not anywhere close to how it was.

• RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 180Registered Users Curl Novice
    I keep getting ads for Curl Mart in my Facebook feed, and every time I comment that I will not buy any of their products until they fix/maintain the Curl Talk forum.
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    Winter: Acure Ultra-Hydrating Shampoo & Conditioner; then KCCC
    Summer: CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then CJ Beauticurls (and on days when I want more polish or definition) CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Sally's GVPCB, mixed with sunflower and olive oils 
  • foggybrainfoggybrain Posts: 19Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Has the Curltalk button disappeared from the Naturally Curly site for anybody else? If I didn't have it in my browser's memory, I wouldn't be able to know it exists. I fear the end is truly near.
    2c/3a; moderately coarse; low porosity; medium density
    Still looking for HG products
    Live where it's perpetually Springtime with fog and wind
    i just came onto the site to try the curltalk button without using my bookmark for curltalk, just typing in nc in search bar. nc came up with the curltalk button and it worked.
    i just think they will let us fade away with benign neglect.

• foggybrainfoggybrain Posts: 19Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi, rbb. My question is whether you see CURLTALK on the page when you launch a fresh Naturally Curly page, say with a different browser, as if you were completely new to the site. I used to see (and click on) that CURLTALK button in the upper right of the page and it isn't there at all now.

I'm saying that there is no indication that a message board exists on the NC site.

I tried joining the FB group, but I don't really use FB and I'm not sure I did it correctly, as I'm still "pending."

That leaves Reddit, alas.
    2c/3a; moderately coarse; low porosity; medium density
    Still looking for HG products
    Live where it's perpetually Springtime with fog and wind
    i did that, i just went to nc and got the home page. the curltalk button is not at the very top, but just under the naturally curly logo and to the right. as it's been for quite a while now.

had to add, i'm not a Facebook person either -- too public.
    haven't found anything like curltalk, and to be honest, i don't expect to.

in life, i think sometimes we are lucky to come upon a group of people who mesh and are supportive and enjoy being around each other. i worked at a place like that 20+ yrs ago. the place went out of business and it was a true loss as a group we had an amazing synergy. you can't manufacture that, it just happens. so we should count ourselves lucky that we had such great support and info when we were new curlies. honestly, have no idea how my hair would have been if not for the early curltalk.

I too can still see the link for CurTalk on the main page.

I am not a Facebook person either. I have been going to the Reddit Curly board for about a month, and I have decided that I don't like it all that well. There are so many people who post pics of their unbelievably gorgeous hair, and their routine is, "I use whatever shampoo and conditioner were on sale at the drug store. I run through my hair with a comb after my shower and then let it air dry." How helpful is that! I feel like a lot of the pics on the site are just of people who haven't struggled with their hair.

I feel like the CurlTalk community is much more supportive and also more knowledgeable, because we've all been there struggling with our hair and even wanting to cut it off at times!

There is also a real push for Deva products on the other board. I don't feel like there's a lot of critical thinking going on. Deva is great for some people, but it doesn't work well at all for others.

I am not a Facebook person either. I have been going to the Reddit Curly board for about a month, and I have decided that I don't like it all that well. There are so many people who post pics of their unbelievably gorgeous hair, and their routine is, "I use whatever shampoo and conditioner were on sale at the drug store. I run through my hair with a comb after my shower and then let it air dry." How helpful is that! I feel like a lot of the pics on the site are just of people who haven't struggled with their hair.

I feel like the CurlTalk community is much more supportive and also more knowledgeable, because we've all been there struggling with our hair and even wanting to cut it off at times!

There is also a real push for Deva products on the other board. I don't feel like there's a lot of critical thinking going on. Deva is great for some people, but it doesn't work well at all for others.
  • MarciMarci Posts: 225Registered Users
    I am so sad that this has happened. I haven't been on the boards in years and logged in today thinking it would be cool to see what's going on in the community since I'm seeing more curls out there in the wild/media/what not. I hate to see things falling apart. I would not be anywhere near where I am with my hair if it hadn't been for these boards. Every product I use and every technique was adapted from here. I will always be grateful. But now I am sad :(
    2C-3A MBL layered
    Medium/fine texture, high density, normal porosity and elasticity. Dry climate.

Cleanse: SM MR, YTC
    Hydrate: Joico Kpak,DevaCurl OC
    Style: AG reCoil, LALSG

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,120Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I"m not a Facebook person either. I echo what all of you have said. Really, too bad what has happened to this site. I'm glad there are still a few long haulers left but I sorely miss some of the old-timers.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Therese1 wrote: »

I do feel so lucky to have found this community. Too bad it seems like its going to fade away...just when I found it.

I'm not on Facebook either, and I couldn't stand the Reddit curly community for longer than 2 days. But it operates kind of like reddit anyway - sort of impersonal or something, and yeah, not very analytical.

A couple decades ago (or rather 13 years ago), nc.com helped me really get going figuring out how to have great hair, and these past few weeks this board has been such a great resource for me for new ideas, resources, and information, and I'm grateful for those of you who are still here.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,508Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I still see the Curltalk button but I expect it to be gone soon. It will be sad not to have all the information from the old threads be available at all times.
    I am a Facebook person and a group can be made private but there's no way to save threads or separate topics or find things easily. This site was set up so well and worked so well for so long. It's a shame.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file