2B hair looked great for 2 weeks and is now not cooperating. Help!

la_ninonla_ninon Registered Users Posts: 118 Curl Neophyte
Hello,
I'm back to a curlygirl-inspired routine after 10 years of straightening. My hair is fine, chin-length, and mostly 2C. I've been experimenting with just leave-in, leave-in + mousse or gel, air-dyring and/or diffusing, and for two weeks it looked great. Now, no matter what I do, it is flat and frizzy, with no ringlets in sight. Any ideas as to what's up? Has too much product built up (I'm alternating between a sulfate-based shampoo and co-washing)? Just the mercurial nature of wavy hair? Any insights/recommendations would be much appreciated!
Lo Poo: MOP Hydrating Shampoo
Leave-Ins: CJ Beauticurls, Briogeo Rosarco Spray
Rinse-Outs: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine
Stylers: L'Oreal Out of Bed Texturizer, Bumble & Bumble Bb. Gel, Yarok Hair Whip, Davines Volu Spray
Treatments: ACV rinse, CJ Curl Rehab, caffeine solution spray

2C-3A, fine, low-medium porosity, low-medium density, sensitive scalp, protein-sensitive

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    If you're using a sulfate shampoo every now and then, you shouldn't have much buildup, although I have had problems with buildup even when using sulfates. You could try a shampoo with c14-16 olefin sulfonate (Kinky Curly Come Clean is one) to make sure that there is no remaining buildup.

Another possibility is that your hair has been overloaded with protein from the products you are using. If that is the case, the solution is to do a deep condition with a protein-free conditioner (leave it on your hair 10-30 minutes, with a plastic cap on, then rinse out as usual) and avoid protein-containing products until your hair has recovered. It's also possible that the reverse has happened: maybe your hair products don't contain protein but your hair would like some protein. Both extremes can cause frizzy, lifeless hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    If you're using a sulfate shampoo every now and then, you shouldn't have much buildup, although I have had problems with buildup even when using sulfates. You could try a shampoo with c14-16 olefin sulfonate (Kinky Curly Come Clean is one) to make sure that there is no remaining buildup.

Another possibility is that your hair has been overloaded with protein from the products you are using. If that is the case, the solution is to do a deep condition with a protein-free conditioner (leave it on your hair 10-30 minutes, with a plastic cap on, then rinse out as usual) and avoid protein-containing products until your hair has recovered. It's also possible that the reverse has happened: maybe your hair products don't contain protein but your hair would like some protein. Both extremes can cause frizzy, lifeless hair.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • la_ninonla_ninon Registered Users Posts: 118 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks so much! I actually noticed that I started having trouble after using a conditioner with protein, and I know the BB Invisible Oil Primer and DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel I've been using contain protein, too. I will deep condition, as you suggest. Can you/anyone recommend any protein-free leave-ins curl enhancing products for fine hair? Thank you again!

ETA: Ok, I shampooed, did an ACV rinse, and applied just gel and my hair looks fantastic. Does this provide any clues as to what's been going on? Was my fine/oily hair over-hydrated/overloaded with product? Because I have to at least completely wet--if not actually wash--my hair everyday, I'm wondering if any protein sensitivity is being exacerbated by applying styling products daily. Perhaps alternating between protein-containing and protein-free products, and using fewer products overall, would help.
    Rinse-Outs: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine
    Stylers: L'Oreal Out of Bed Texturizer, Bumble & Bumble Bb. Gel, Yarok Hair Whip, Davines Volu Spray

2C-3A, fine, low-medium porosity, low-medium density, sensitive scalp, protein-sensitive
    If you don't normally do an ACV rinse, you could have had hard water build-up. Do you have hard water?

Sometimes minerals from the water can attach to the hair, which makes the hair even more prone to attracting build-up from styling products. I think that protein would probably exacerbate this situation.

I would pay attention to the protein in your regimen and see what happens if you alternate protein products with nonprotein products. You might also watch to see which proteins have which types of effects on your hair. I notice that my hair responds to different proteins in different ways.

For leave-ins, I use As I Am in the summer, and then either Curl Junkie Beauticurls (the protein-free one) leave-in or Alaffia Beautiful Curls Wavy leave-in in the winter.
    If you don't normally do an ACV rinse, you could have had hard water build-up. Do you have hard water?

Sometimes minerals from the water can attach to the hair, which makes the hair even more prone to attracting build-up from styling products. I think that protein would probably exacerbate this situation.

I would pay attention to the protein in your regimen and see what happens if you alternate protein products with nonprotein products. You might also watch to see which proteins have which types of effects on your hair. I notice that my hair responds to different proteins in different ways.

For leave-ins, I use As I Am in the summer, and then either Curl Junkie Beauticurls (the protein-free one) leave-in or Alaffia Beautiful Curls Wavy leave-in in the winter.
    Thanks! I don't believe we have hard water (I'm in Seattle), but this was my first time ever I did an ACV rinse. I will pay closer attention to proteins and look into the products you suggested. Thanks again!

• LBoogie22LBoogie22 Registered Users Posts: 37
    Could be build up. Also have there been any weather changes lately? I just had to rotate products with no or minimal glycerin as I'm getting a ton of frizz with all this humidity. Weather changes can also cause differences in your hair and cause your typical go to products to act differently. Just another though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Therese1 wrote: »
    <snip>
    Therese1, do you use a rinse-out conditioner and a leave-in after that?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    Yes, bomega, I use a rinse-out and then a leave-in on top of that. I normally rinse out all of my rinse-out conditioner before applying leave-in, and I don't use a whole lot of leave-in.
    Thanks so much, LBoogie. No real weather changes lately (still cool and showery). I'm suspecting product build-up and that my hair does better with a more spare routine. I figured out what my skin can and cannot tolerate over many years of careful observation/tracking...I guess figuring out my hair require a similar process!

Yes, bomega, I use a rinse-out and then a leave-in on top of that. I normally rinse out all of my rinse-out conditioner before applying leave-in, and I don't use a whole lot of leave-in.
    Thanks for getting back to me. Also wondering do you follow up with all of those stylers you are using? Or are they for different purposes or looks?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

Bomega, some of the items in my signature are used when my hair is dry, others when it is wet. Some of the items are used in dry weather only, others in humid weather. Here is my core routine over the past year:

Shampoo: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonizing; Oribe Cleansing Cream (I use the Oribe when my hair feels like it could use some protein)
    Clarifying Shampoo (when needed): Kinky Curly Come Clean, Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo
    Rinse-Out Conditioner: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonizing (summer); Curl Junkie Daily Smoothing Conditioner (winter)
    Leave-in: As I Am and/or Jessicurl Gelebration Spray (summer); Curl Junkie Beauticurls (winter)

My stylers are always rotating, which is why I listed so many in my signature. Right now I am enjoying the Jessicurl Confident Coils because it is very lightweight and gives my hair a lot of body (I do get less definition, though). I sometimes use Bumble and Bumble Gel instead if I want more hold and more defined clumping.

If I my hair seems limp after I'm done diffusing, or if I want to add a little volume midday, I will spray in some John Masters Sea Mist Spray or some Intelligent Nutrients Volumizing Spray. If it's not too humid, I might use my John Masters Tangerine Vanilla Bourbon texturizer for the same purpose (this product is more oily than the others). I am also experimenting with using these products on wet hair.

I generally finish my hair after diffusing with the Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold hairspray. I find that putting a hairspray on when I am done styling adds another barrier against the elements and keeps my hair looking nice for longer.

I am experimenting with using the Intelligent Nutrients Straight Hair Serum as a leave-in mixed with water for refreshing. This product was really good as a leave-in on wet hair (on wash day) last year; it really helped my frizz. This year it seems to be making my hair limp. I have grown my hair out over the last year, though, so maybe that is the difference.

Hope this helps!

If you have low-porosity hair, I would highly recommend doing a deep conditioning treatment with a protein-free conditioner. It really helps get the moisture in the hair shaft.
    Bomega, some of the items in my signature are used when my hair is dry, others when it is wet. Some of the items are used in dry weather only, others in humid weather. Here is my core routine over the past year:

Shampoo: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonizing; Oribe Cleansing Cream (I use the Oribe when my hair feels like it could use some protein)
    Clarifying Shampoo (when needed): Kinky Curly Come Clean, Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo
    Rinse-Out Conditioner: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonizing (summer); Curl Junkie Daily Smoothing Conditioner (winter)
    Leave-in: As I Am and/or Jessicurl Gelebration Spray (summer); Curl Junkie Beauticurls (winter)

My stylers are always rotating, which is why I listed so many in my signature. Right now I am enjoying the Jessicurl Confident Coils because it is very lightweight and gives my hair a lot of body (I do get less definition, though). I sometimes use Bumble and Bumble Gel instead if I want more hold and more defined clumping.

If I my hair seems limp after I'm done diffusing, or if I want to add a little volume midday, I will spray in some John Masters Sea Mist Spray or some Intelligent Nutrients Volumizing Spray. If it's not too humid, I might use my John Masters Tangerine Vanilla Bourbon texturizer for the same purpose (this product is more oily than the others). I am also experimenting with using these products on wet hair.

I generally finish my hair after diffusing with the Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold hairspray. I find that putting a hairspray on when I am done styling adds another barrier against the elements and keeps my hair looking nice for longer.

I am experimenting with using the Intelligent Nutrients Straight Hair Serum as a leave-in mixed with water for refreshing. This product was really good as a leave-in on wet hair (on wash day) last year; it really helped my frizz. This year it seems to be making my hair limp. I have grown my hair out over the last year, though, so maybe that is the difference.

Hope this helps!

If you have low-porosity hair, I would highly recommend doing a deep conditioning treatment with a protein-free conditioner. It really helps get the moisture in the hair shaft.
    One more question, Therese (or others), re. recovering from protein overload. I've decided that the DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel, which is packed w/ large proteins, was the primary culprit. How long should I go protein-free before trying (less) protein again (I have a styling product with lower concentrations of a smaller protein that I'd like to experiment with)? I wash my hair everyday...would one week be enough? Thanks again!

I find that I need at least two weeks to recover. And to be honest, I oftentimes will use a flat iron and straighten my hair when it is in this state (excess protein makes it much straighter, so it's already half there) just to try to damage the hair a little bit so that it will take up more moisture.
    Yikes, ok! My curls are back, but I want to make sure my hair has really recovered before I use protein again. Thank you!

Ha ha, yes, I know that my methods are extreme to some. But my hair takes up protein like nobody's business, so straightening it every now and then doesn't cause any irreversible harm. In fact, my hair often looks better when I shampoo it after straightening it. My hair is just wacky, I guess.
  • machermacher Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    la_ninon wrote: »
    Yikes, ok! My curls are back, but I want to make sure my hair has really recovered before I use protein again. Thank you!

I was in the same situation as you with too much protein and it took my hair about 2 weeks to recover. And my waves came back. Now I'm protein free.

Since my hair is looking good I'm not going to use any protein products. But eventually I'll probably need a shot of protein. But for now I'm not messing with my routine cause it's working great.

My waves / curls are strong now. I'm assuming since I've been protein free when my waves and curls get weak that means I probably need a shot of protein.
    Thanks, Macher--this is very helpful. Can I ask which protein-free products you are using?

• machermacher Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    la_ninon wrote: »
    Thanks, Macher--this is very helpful. Can I ask which protein-free products you are using?

I clarify once a week with Ion Clarifying shampoo from Sally's. Once a week I condition my hair with GVP Conditioning Balm from Sally's. I style my hair with Deva Frizz Free Volumizing Foam. In between I use a water / GVP Conditioning Balm mixture to refresh and Deva Frizz Free Volumizing Foam.

I'm currently in the market for a protein free shampoo though.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. Overall, I'm happy with my hair, but I wanted to experiment with different curly looks and effects, so I appreciate the ideas.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file