2B inspiration?

ttoosdayttoosday Registered Users Posts: 509 Curl Connoisseur
Type 2's, especially in the mid range, who is your wave inspiration? I'm having a lot of trouble liking my waves and I am on the verge of giving up and regressing. I realized one thing I've never done is in my cg journey is use anyone or anything particular for inspiration. What do amazing 2B waves even look like? At what length do they look best? What cut style flatters them most? Any pics? Who even has these waves for me to strive to aspire to? Any celeb/other cg-er/youtuber/blogger with outstanding 2B hair that you use as inspiration for your hair goals? I have been operating up to this point trying not to dwell on my curl type but it only results in not knowing what my own goals even are.
CG since 11/2014
Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
Low density, very coarse, high porosity
Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
Protein: Hask Keratin
Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Have you checked out Rockyn Curls' blog? I think she calls herself a wavy, though she might be more of a 2c. On her Journey page, she shows the progress of her hair, and I think some of the pics would be 2b. Her hair is coarse and high po, I think.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • ttoosdayttoosday Registered Users Posts: 509 Curl Connoisseur
    Yes I follow her. She's definitely more of a 2c to 3a and her density is so much more than mine that I find her techniques don't always work on me.
    CG since 11/2014
  • Gaby.VintimiGaby.Vintimi Registered Users Posts: 124 Curl Neophyte
    Try googling photos. I think Emma Watson is a 2b, but you never know as they have stylists and for the events the hair is perfectly done. Anyway check her pics, and browse you will find someone with similar hair type :)
    2c, dense and coarse hair.
    I will definitely check out Emma w. I feel like ive Googled it to death tho. There's not much that I can find on Google that gets anywhere close to accurately reflecting 2b coarse hair and even less that reflects low density. There's very little on YouTube that I can find, or pinterest, or reddit, I think something must be wrong with my search engines or something. I'm exhausted with googling honestly. Going straight and short worked for 35 years so I'm just about to go right back to that. I don't know I'm pretty frustrated.

ETA if someone could please let me know what Shakira does to get her waves the way they are I would appreciate it. Thanks. :/
    CG since 11/2014
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    I can understand the frustration, but honestly, I've never really used celebrities for inspirations. In large part it is only recently that curly hair is given its range in the media, with celebrities sporting their curls in a more natural way. In the past, it was always those perfect curls that can only come from a curling iron. And even now most of those celebrity photos are over-styled. I'm not against styling, I'm just saying that I have neither the time not ability to style my hair like that, so I had to figure my hair out on its own terms.

Having said that, I can have this stand largely because I've been lucky to be able to find great hairdressers for the past 20 years (with the one exception of the 2 years I lived in the DC area.) These hair dressers have not only given me good haircuts but also gave me tips for styling it, and were willing to work with my limits of wanting to put the least effort and also emphasize the curl.

As a side note, my friend once made me go to an Aveda product store in the mall for a complimentary style (we were shopping and then needed to kill some time) and I was surprised at how good I looked.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    Bomega - ya I totally get that. I've never compared myself to celebs cuz let's be honest it takes a village to get some of them looking that way! Plus they have the absolute best of everything not to mention photoshop. But I'm nearing my wits end I guess so grasping at straws I think. I think the hardest part is not knowing "if I'm doing it right." I know, I know there's no real right or wrong, listen to what my hair tells me it needs. Well, my hair is utterly mute. Non communicative. No product has really been a success or failure. But there's no expert within 500 miles to look at my hair to tell me what it needs. Theres nobody here to confirm whether or not I've made good choices with ingredients. There nobody to evaluate the results I get and to guide me on a different path to get closer to what I want. Just me, fumbling around for the most part blindly changing this or that hoping for something spectacular. Anyway I thrive in environments where I can calculate my needs, can measure my efforts, and then see the results. My own head of hair stifles me in all of those areas. Exhausting.
    CG since 11/2014
    Did you get a hair analysis from Goosefootprints? That's all I can think of that would give you some expert information since there are no curly experts in your neck of the woods.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    I had one about 2 years ago. I do need to have another one. I see the value in them, but my hair does nothing regardless of what I know about it. So Im not in any rush for any more disappointment.
    CG since 11/2014
  • CurlyMMBCurlyMMB Registered Users Posts: 2
    You can check this youtuber, her name is IndiaBaston and she has videos about wavy/curly hair care, I would say that she is a 2B.
    I follow India, thank you! Her hair makes me insane jealous!
    CG since 11/2014
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    My inspiration is Atoya Bass. She's a Deva stylist in Portland. She has long, boho-beachy wavy BEAUTIFUL hair. She has a Curl Course I signed up for ($100). I have been getting such good results following her methods. Once you're a member of her curl course you can also sign up to her facebook group. She's been posting more videos there. She doesn't do any youtube videos - these are just for her customers and CC members. I feel like I'm really selling here, but this is was the best money I've spent for my hair! She's on instagram, but she's mostly posting client pictures, not herself. Her instagram - https://www.instagram.com/atoya_thecurlyhairstudio/?hl=en
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    janiegirl wrote: »
    My inspiration is Atoya Bass. She's a Deva stylist in Portland. She has long, boho-beachy wavy BEAUTIFUL hair. She has a Curl Course I signed up for ($100). I have been getting such good results following her methods. Once you're a member of her curl course you can also sign up to her facebook group. She's been posting more videos there. She doesn't do any youtube videos - these are just for her customers and CC members. I feel like I'm really selling here, but this is was the best money I've spent for my hair! She's on instagram, but she's mostly posting client pictures, not herself. Her instagram - https://www.instagram.com/atoya_thecurlyhairstudio/?hl=en
    Janiegirl,

Does Atoya's method only work with Devacurl products? I thought about getting a haircut from her, but I don't care for the Devacurl products for their stinkiness and plasticy feel.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

bomega wrote: »
    Janiegirl,

Does Atoya's method only work with Devacurl products? I thought about getting a haircut from her, but I don't care for the Devacurl products for their stinkiness and plasticy feel.

She claims she's not a brand loyalist. She'll use whatever works. But she teaches with Deva Curl products because it's "easy" (not sure what she means by that). She's more about techniques than products. I've used her techniques with other brands and still had great results. You could email or call and see if she'll use other products on you, or you could bring your own.
    Current products:
    bomega wrote: »
    Janiegirl,

She claims she's not a brand loyalist. She'll use whatever works. But she teaches with Deva Curl products because it's "easy" (not sure what she means by that). She's more about techniques than products. I've used her techniques with other brands and still had great results. You could email or call and see if she'll use other products on you, or you could bring your own.
    Thx!

• la_ninonla_ninon Registered Users Posts: 118 Curl Neophyte
    I love Freja Beha Erichsen's roughed up waves.

Can anyone suggest any 2C inspirations?
    Lo Poo: MOP Hydrating Shampoo
    Leave-Ins: CJ Beauticurls, Briogeo Rosarco Spray
    Rinse-Outs: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine
    Stylers: L'Oreal Out of Bed Texturizer, Bumble & Bumble Bb. Gel, Yarok Hair Whip, Davines Volu Spray
    Treatments: ACV rinse, CJ Curl Rehab, caffeine solution spray

2C-3A, fine, low-medium porosity, low-medium density, sensitive scalp, protein-sensitive
    La_ninon, have you looked at the Polished Curl? She has 2C hair. She has a YouTube channel.

As long as we're on type 2 inspiration, a 2a inspiration would be Alexa Chung. Hmm, maybe I'd get a short trim to make my hair look more like hers...
    La_ninon, have you looked at the Polished Curl? She has 2C hair. She has a YouTube channel.

As long as we're on type 2 inspiration, a 2a inspiration would be Alexa Chung. Hmm, maybe I'd get a short trim to make my hair look more like hers...
    Therese,

I have watched PolishedCurl's channel and really appreciate it in terms of techniques. I'd love to find someone with shorter hair/edgier styling as inspiration though.
    Rinse-Outs: Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine
    Stylers: L'Oreal Out of Bed Texturizer, Bumble & Bumble Bb. Gel, Yarok Hair Whip, Davines Volu Spray

2C-3A, fine, low-medium porosity, low-medium density, sensitive scalp, protein-sensitive
    Here is something posted at the salon I go to: Mega Change! » Scream Salon
    And for a different sort of edgy :p: Chartreuse » Scream Salon

La_ninon, would this be more what you are looking for? https://www.freepeople.com/shop/nicoletta-dress-1/

Come to think of it, the models at Free People seem to generally have their hair styled wavy. I'm sure a lot of it is faked with hot tools, but it might provide some good inspiration for wavies anyway.
    La_ninon, would this be more what you are looking for? https://www.freepeople.com/shop/nicoletta-dress-1/

Come to think of it, the models at Free People seem to generally have their hair styled wavy. I'm sure a lot of it is faked with hot tools, but it might provide some good inspiration for wavies anyway.
    Thanks, Bomega and Therese!

Therese, I do like that FreePeople image--it's not far off from my current hair, though mine is curlier and (shockingly) more dense. Yasmine Sewell's and Indira Varma's curlier looks are also good inspiration for me (and we have similar coloring/features).

P.S. I ordered the Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner. I'm excited to try it!

• AtoyaAtoya Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hey, I just stumbled upon this and want to say I'm really surprised I'm someone's inspo hair 😂 But I'll take it😘

And what I mean by not a "deva" loyalist but it's easier... is I've tried hundreds of products and combinations and nothing consistently works on ALL different hair types. Every time. Never. So I teach with it. But I am working on my own brand.

True though... it's not about product. It's always about technique.

And I'm so thankful the course helped you so much🙏🏽 That's my dream💕
    Hi Atoya! I feel like I've just spotted a celebrity in the wild LOL! I'm excited to hear about your new brand. I'm trying to curb my product-junkie ways, but it's hard to say no to new products!
    Current products:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file