Newbie trying not to give up -- need clumping and elongation. Help!

Liz287Liz287 Posts: 5Registered Users
deleted

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Liz287 wrote: »
    Hi! I've used CG on and off for a while, but I'm newly recommitted to giving this a really good shot. I have 3A hair with some 2C pieces. I've read more from the boards over the past week than I thought was possible, and I speak a whole new language of acronyms, now. I'm a little tired and overwhelmed, and I've been getting various results that I don't love, and spending a ton of money. Arg.

My current routine is to co-wash with Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus, and then I use Knot Today in the shower, don't rinse, and clump as best I can. I rake in Bumble and Bumble curl cream (my gold standard for years), and prayer-hands smooth a little KCCC. Today, I even super-soaked in an attempt to get bigger clumps. I plop for 5-10 minutes, and then don't touch until it's dry, when I scrunch. My hair is much curlier doing this, and the curls are tight.

But I'm not sure curlier is what I'm going for, as much as it is getting clumping and elongation. And consistently, my underlayer is completely undefined and shrinks much more than my crown layer, resulting in what can only be called a hilarious reverse mullet. If I re-wet my hair and rake water through the underlayer later in the day (like, at 3 p.m.), I get close to the clumped, elongated curls I want to have at the beginning of the day: defined, clumped curls that are consistent throughout.

Can anyone offer any advice? I'm so close to wanting to go back to blowing it out, and I don't want to give up.

Thanks for any help. I've searched and searched and searched, and I honestly haven't found any posts before asking this question.

Welcome!! First thing I want to say is I am newer too-So if its the first weeks or so for you of starting CG, than it does get better :) .

a few possibilities related to your question re: what might be causing the shrinkage effect on individual hair strands

In the Bumble and Bumble Curl Cream, it has glycerin 2nd in formulation. When weather is very humid, glycerin in products can cause stiff crunchy feeling on hair.
    Another factor, is it has lots of silicones; dimethicone,SIZE="7"]phenyl trimethicone[/SIZE], PEG-8 dimethicone,

These ingredient categories in any product will leave an gummy chemical residue/ buildup on hair strands over time.
    Which is problematic as that blocks needed moisture & keeps conditioner/co-wash from working how they are needed.
  • Liz287Liz287 Posts: 5Registered Users
    deleted
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm not sure that the silicones are your problem. It sounds like your issue is that your underlayer is curlier than your canopy, and you want to try to even them out.

I have very little shrinkage, so I don't know how helpful this will be, but have you considered putting some metal hair clips at the ends of the curls on the underlayer? The extra weight would pull the curl out some. You might have to wait for the hair to have dried a bit first, so you can see where the demarcation is. You wouldn't clip the curls to anything but just fasten the clip on the bottom of the curl to elongate it.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm not sure that the silicones are your problem. It sounds like your issue is that your underlayer is curlier than your canopy, and you want to try to even them out.

I have very little shrinkage, so I don't know how helpful this will be, but have you considered putting some metal hair clips at the ends of the curls on the underlayer? The extra weight would pull the curl out some. You might have to wait for the hair to have dried a bit first, so you can see where the demarcation is. You wouldn't clip the curls to anything but just fasten the clip on the bottom of the curl to elongate it.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    In addition to getting rid of the silicone products, you should also probably be using a thicker, creamier conditioner. KCKT is very slippery and somewhat moisturizing, but I get the best clumps with a thick moisturizing conditioner mixed in with water. That can be rinsed out partially or completely, but even after I rinse it completely I can still get nice clumps afterwards.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Liz287Liz287 Posts: 5Registered Users
    deleted.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file