Soft water now after having hard water for 10+ years

Elphie2983Elphie2983 Registered Users Posts: 145 Curl Neophyte
Hi :) It's been awhile since i've been here, but my hair has behaved for a long long long time :) I've been CG for 10+ years, and I'm still using the products listed in my signature (i think!) I wash with daily fix, or giovanni triple treat, and condition with conditioning balm, or beauticurls strengthing condioner...and sometimes i use deva no poo and one C, and I style with CJ CCCC and CJ Aloe fix, plop, then HE set me up on top...so a few days ago, we got a water softener, and i washed my hair like i would normally, as above (specifically with the GTTT and the conditioning balm from sallys) and did my usual routine, and my hair was yucky...i did everything normal, and it was fuzzy and felt yucky..has anyone had any experience with this? I understand I might need to change my routine now (I hate change!) and I also think my hair might be being over conditioned now....heeeeeeelp :)
Hair Type: 3a with 3b tendencies, medium texture and normal porosity
Shampoo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat and CJDF
Conditioner/Leave-in: Giovanni 50:50, and Suave Naturals (Just not the Coconut), CALI
Stylers: CJ CCCC, AFG, HESMU

Comments

• BeinDebBeinDeb Registered Users Posts: 583 Curl Connoisseur
    Try deep cleaning w/a sulfate, followed by a protein treatment. When I moved, I went from hard, hard water to super soft. Although my hair loves protein, I've had to up it considerably to combat the over moisturizing factor.
  • Elphie2983Elphie2983 Registered Users Posts: 145 Curl Neophyte
    a sulfate shampoo? Do you have any recommendations? I'm not sure I even have any in my house anymore :-O :-O :-O ;) Also...do you have any recommendations on a protein treatment, I'm ready to try anything, i re-washed my hair this morning with my daily fix instead and the a conditioner with protein in it, and it's a little better, but still a bit fly away, it's almost like it's not being weighed down enough...

how often do you do the protein treatments? and thank you!!
    Conditioner/Leave-in: Giovanni 50:50, and Suave Naturals (Just not the Coconut), CALI
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I use Avalon Organics clarifying lemon. It has a sulfate but the rest of the ingredients are at least natural and it's super clarifying. I only use it once in awhile.

For protein, the best for me is gelatin. Google IAgirl's protein treatment. You don't need to ACV, just gelatin and water (and personally I add an essential oil drop to cover the smell).

As for PT frequency, it depends on the person. Also the weather (you tend to need more in hotter weather). If your hair feels soft afterwards, you needed the protein. If your hair is hard and brittle when you're done, then follow up with conditioning, probably deep conditioning.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I use Avalon Organics clarifying lemon. It has a sulfate but the rest of the ingredients are at least natural and it's super clarifying. I only use it once in awhile.

For protein, the best for me is gelatin. Google IAgirl's protein treatment. You don't need to ACV, just gelatin and water (and personally I add an essential oil drop to cover the smell).

As for PT frequency, it depends on the person. Also the weather (you tend to need more in hotter weather). If your hair feels soft afterwards, you needed the protein. If your hair is hard and brittle when you're done, then follow up with conditioning, probably deep conditioning.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    For clarifying, I just use Suave Clarifying shampoo. It's cheap & gets the job done. The gelatin treatment is good, but my hair likes/needs keratin so, I generally use Joico's K-pop. As always, YMMV.
    Also, I'm currently using Sally's Colorful Neutral Protein filler in my spray bottle for any rewetting duties.
    That's actually what I decided to get, and I was going to pick some up today, i also got some trial size k-paks from my ulta, so i guess i'll try that later today and see how things go. My hair has always liked protein, so hopefully it'll be happy. BeinDeb did your hair go back to normal/adjust to the soft water? I thought I'd pick up some new products too that never used to work on my hair at target today as well...certainly some suave conditioner to co-wash with...
    Okay, washed tonight with the suave clarifying shampoo, then did the k-pak treatment, then conditioned One C, and did my usual thing, my hair is WAY better and WAY happier....so i assume that means i needed protein and was over conditioning...now my biggest question is going forward: since i obviously need more protein, how to I add it into my routine? I'm still using CJ CCCC and CJ AF, with HESMU on top...but i bought AG:REcoil, i thought since it had a lot of protein in it maybe it would be good..?
    Elphie2983 wrote: »
    Okay, washed tonight with the suave clarifying shampoo, then did the k-pak treatment, then conditioned One C, and did my usual thing, my hair is WAY better and WAY happier....so i assume that means i needed protein and was over conditioning...now my biggest question is going forward: since i obviously need more protein, how to I add it into my routine? I'm still using CJ CCCC and CJ AF, with HESMU on top...but i bought AG:REcoil, i thought since it had a lot of protein in it maybe it would be good..?
    No, it did not go back to "normal." I'm still struggling to find the protein/moisture balance that makes my hair happy. For sure, it involves more protein than what I was using, & I was using it often, as my hair is naturally quite porous. So, I'm back to experimenting to find that magic combo. Curly hair is so much fun!!! (She said, as her tongue was implanted firmly in her cheek)
  • foggybrainfoggybrain Registered Users Posts: 21 Curl Neophyte
    BeinDeb wrote: »
    Also, I'm currently using Sally's Colorful Neutral Protein filler in my spray bottle for any rewetting duties.

Could I have all the details, please? This sounds like a great idea!
    2c/3a; moderately coarse; low porosity; medium density
    Still looking for HG products
    Live where it's perpetually Springtime with fog and wind
    Sure. I usually have to reset my curls in the a.m. I use a spray bottle for that purpose. I use distilled water and add a few drops of peppermint EO & several drops of Sally's CNPF. I'm 1 of "those" people that don't measure, so I can't tell you how much exactly.
    so for whatever it's worth, i'm experimenting again too...last night, i *only* co-washed with suave naturals coconut (my hair digs the protein), and then i styled with ag recoil and some hard hold gel, my hair came out great after i diffused, i lost like 2" due to shrinkage, which doesn't normally happen...so we'll see if the curls hold up today, it would actually be amazing if i could just co-wash and have like one product and walk away from my bathroom lol...but i'll keep you posted on how it goes :) I do think my hair seems to really like the magnesium sulfate.
    Awesome! Hmmm...Recoil.. it's been a long time since I've visited. I may have to dig it out. This really is frustrating. I went from FINALLY getting a consistent routine to back to the drawing board. Where I moved from had horrendously hard water (I was there 30 sumpthin years). Here, the water is rainwater soft...so much so, that just a little soap will do it, be it shampoo or laundry!. However, the dew points are also totally different...minimum of in the 50's to now, often below 30!
    I feel your pain :) I haven't had the same routine for quite so long, but i was doing the same thing for about 8 years, and it was pretty much the perfect routine for my hair/water sooooo now we're back kind of the drawing board! I'm still playing, yesterday i cowashed with suave coconut, and just put in KCCC, nothing else, the curls are good today, just a bit fuzzy, but very very curly, i think i might need a leave in, since it's a bit fuzzy still, so i gotta pick that up :) Curly hair is #complicated

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file